Trump Admits Even He Thought He was Going to Lose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:54:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Admits Even He Thought He was Going to Lose
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump Admits Even He Thought He was Going to Lose  (Read 2377 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:10:23 PM »

And apparently despite his public trashing of the polls, he did actually attach some credibility to them:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-wisconsin-232605
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:37:37 PM »

I thought he was even trying to lose. His campaign was SO inept that it seemed as if he wanted, all along, to help Clinton get elected, to throw the election. Take a dive.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »

He did.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:04 AM »

He thought he'd lose, and he did. By about 3 million votes at last count.
mencken
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »

And black won this game by 2 points. Roll Eyes
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »

Part of him probably wishes he did already.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

This isn't a game.

I mean, your point is not entirely wrong, but this isn't a game.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »

He thought he'd lose, and he did. By about 3 million votes at last count.

Should not need a stock response to this but...

It isn't particularly unusual in a tennis match for the player who won the most points overall to lose the match, at least if the match is close. If that player were to declare that they had won really then people would be confused; the rules are the rules and the match is decided by how many sets are won (and these by how many games) not by the running total of points and the player knew that at the start of the match, indeed had obviously known it for their entire life. You follow me here?

i.e. obviously the PV lead makes the defeat all the more galling, but it doesn't make it not a defeat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 02:45:34 PM »

Indeed but... there are still rules. And the campaigns not only abide by them but also develop their strategies around them.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »

Was an amazing couple of hours.

It was the Democratic version of the Sausage Party 'Kitchen Scene'.

I can understand why the Democrat's are so traumatized.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »

The Cubs didn't win the World Series because they failed to score more runs than the Indians over the course of the Series.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »

Indeed but... there are still rules. And the campaigns not only abide by them but also develop their strategies around them.

Yes, you don't change rules in the middle. Both sides campaigned to win the electoral vote first.

At this point I almost wish Trump would've won the PV after all. It would prevent an easy but dangerous "we've won the PV so we don't have to think about our own mistakes" mentality.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »

I thought he was even trying to lose. His campaign was SO inept that it seemed as if he wanted, all along, to help Clinton get elected, to throw the election. Take a dive.

Seemed that way until the Comey letter happened and then he seemed like he was actually trying to win.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »

Yes, you don't change rules in the middle. Both sides campaigned to win the electoral vote first.

At this point I almost wish Trump would've won the PV after all. It would prevent an easy but dangerous "we've won the PV so we don't have to think about our own mistakes" mentality.

I'd think having him not ask for Russian assistance, and denouncing the blatant intervention of the Director of the FBI would add more to his legitimacy. But without them he likely wouldn't have won, making the point moot.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 12:50:09 AM »

White won the popular vote.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »

The Cubs didn't win the World Series because they failed to score more runs than the Indians over the course of the Series.

Yes, because sports titles are decided in a way that makes each game exciting, we should use an analogous method for electing our leaders and lawmakers Tongue

Also, the Cubs scored the the same number of runs as the Indians. But you actually don't know how many runs "should" have been scored since the home team won 2 of the 7 games, negating their 9th inning chance to score. Using the election analogy, NH and MI didn't need to be resolved, CA and NY could have stopped counting their votes, etc. None of that affects the electoral vote winner.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »

Yes, because sports titles are decided in a way that makes each game exciting, we should use an analogous method for electing our leaders and lawmakers Tongue

Also, the Cubs scored the the same number of runs as the Indians. But you actually don't know how many runs "should" have been scored since the home team won 2 of the 7 games, negating their 9th inning chance to score. Using the election analogy, NH and MI didn't need to be resolved, CA and NY could have stopped counting their votes, etc. None of that affects the electoral vote winner.
I agree that the sports analogy isn't the best to use here.

But we are a FEDERAL system.  States elect electors and they choose the President.  That's the way this is decided.

The Electoral College has its flaws.  There is little to stop blue states with GOP legislatures from enacting laws apportioning Electors by CD like ME and NE.  This would really raise havoc, and it would raise the stakes of Congressional redistricting even more.  On the other hand, there is something to the idea of urban America just forcing its will on rural America and rural America being forced to deal with it.  (I recognize that for much of our history, it was the other way around.) 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »

Which makes winning all that much more sweet.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »

on the contrary, it proves that there was no overall strategy the trump campaign believed into.....they were lucky and they know it. ^^
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »

on the contrary, it proves that there was no overall strategy the trump campaign believed into.....they were lucky and they know it. ^^

But think of it this way.

If someone says they are giving you a brand new watch for your birthday, and they actually give you a  brand new Mercedes SUV, I would think getting the Mercedes would be all that much more sweet, since all you were expecting was a watch.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »

It was a mistake for the media to declare that the election was already won by Clinton and the investigation was going through the process, and that's why Trump had an upset win.

And the Dems made the mistake of not nominating Bernie Sanders and that was the 2016 election
rbt48

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »

All the overanalyzing after the fact is too much.

Trump won because Comey decided to send a letter 11 days before the election that made people skeptical of Hillary Clinton.  The ramifications of this were the following:

1) It energized Trump supporters.
2) It energized Trump himself because he started to think he actually had a chance.
3) It brought some doubtful Republicans out to vote who probably would have stayed home.
4) It swung late-breaking undecideds to Trump.

PERIOD.  END OF STORY.  THIS IS WHY TRUMP WON.  I don't even believe it was Russian hacking that did it.  It was the Comey letter.  Whatever his motivations were... that's unclear.  But the letter caused this.  It was not luck, or this or that.  It was the letter.

I believe that these points are basically true.  The Clinton campaign exacerbated the impact of the Comey letter by challenging Comey's action for several days instead of just ignoring it.  By the time they realized this, the negative impact of the letter was even greater than it might have been if left alone.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 06:28:39 AM »

I mean this is a stupid analogy for two reasons but it helps to actually be correct in your analogy - Black only has a one pawn advantage (Q+2R+4p=23 vs Q+R+B+5p=22); plus the King is generally considered to have an infinite value since checkmate ends the game; so therefore White does have the advantage in the game if you count by points.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »

You can't blame the FBI for the fact that Hillalry Clinton was a flawed, cold, calculating, establishment candidate, who came across as out of touch with working class Americans.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 05:45:26 AM »

I mean this is a stupid analogy for two reasons but it helps to actually be correct in your analogy - Black only has a one pawn advantage (Q+2R+4p=23 vs Q+R+B+5p=22); plus the King is generally considered to have an infinite value since checkmate ends the game; so therefore White does have the advantage in the game if you count by points.
But Russians excel at chess.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies