Could Warren crash, like Christie did after 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Could Warren crash, like Christie did after 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Could Warren crash, like Christie did after 2012?  (Read 2074 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »

Remember when everyone wanted Christie to run in 2012, he decided to wait and be more prepared in 2016, and he crashed and burned?

Everyone wanted Warren to run in 2016, she decided to wait and it seems like she'll be in a better position in 2020. But she's also been in national news for the last 6 years, and by then it will be for the last 10 years. Other Democrats will be rising. She could be old news, or she could really crash and burn (like if she picks a wrong fight with Trump).

How likely is it that Warren crashes before 2020?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:59:03 AM »

A reasonable chance, she'll be 71 in 2020 and has many of the personality flaws that plagued Clinton. Since democrats usually require a charismatic leader for "inspiration" meaning they will likely go in a younger direction. She also has the problem of having no accomplishment or mark on the Senate despite being in front of every camera she can find (The John Edwards/ Marco Rubio problem)
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »

Bridgegate began (or at least accelerated) Christie's demise. Hard to see Warren coming up with anything close to that.

But if the economy does well then Warren can't run on the message of a rigged system, and she loses any ability to win crossover votes (though that would be a Democrat problem as much as it would be a Warren problem).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »

Possible she is a good fire up the base type but not a good debater which will hurt her plus as Pandaguineapig pointed out she doesn't have a record to run on heck Julian Castro who is hated on her by some fore lack of experience has more bragging rights with the work done when he was mayor of San Antonio and HUD than Warren
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:59:52 AM »

I don't think Liz Warren is going to commit any crimes between now an 2020 though...
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »

I have never seen Warren as a top-of-the-ticket choice. She is too polarizing. I did see her as a great VP choice for Clinton and still think that Clinton should have picked her instead of the snooze-fest that was Tim Kaine.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

I think she could not run herself or crash but the Bernie/Warren wing will grab the 2020 nomination. Without a clear frontrunner the debates will matter a ton.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »

Christie got caught in Bridgegate and now looks like a sleazebag.

Warren won't do that.  She's rather sanctimonious, though, and I can see her peaking early and folks getting tired of that.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 07:16:41 AM »

I don't think Liz Warren is going to commit any crimes between now an 2020 though...

doesn't mean a trump-controlled justice system couldn't go after her anyway ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »

If she closes a bridge in Massachusetts to help with her re-election in 2018, then maybe.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »

She. Doesn't. Want. The. Job.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »

I don't really get how Warren is remotely similar to Christie. But sure, politicians crash all the time. Anything's possible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »

That's a good point, has she given the slightest signal she's actually interested in being President?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »

Rudy Giuliani might be a more apt comparison
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 03:00:58 PM »

That's a good point, has she given the slightest signal she's actually interested in being President?

Well, during the lead up to the 2016 election, she consistently denied any interest in running for president that year, with the exception of this one episode from 2014:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg4348232#msg4348232

In the past month+ since the election though, she’s been asked about 2020 at least twice, and declined to rule it out both times, simply saying that it wasn’t on her radar, or it was too early to think about.

Additionally….

In the fall, she did multiple campaign events for Clinton and other Democratic candidates, including campaigning for Clinton and Hassan in New Hampshire.

She has a leadership PAC, which gave money to many different Democratic candidates this year, including Hassan in NH and Patty Judge in Iowa.  (Even Booker and Gillibrand didn’t bother donating to Judge, but Warren did.)

She just got herself on the Armed Services Committee, which is a common step for those looking to run for national office.

Then there’s the fact that she came out with a book in 2014, and she’s been actively promoting herself as a progressive leader in the Senate, especially in the past month+ since the election.

Now, maybe her high profile status is something that she cultivated just so she could get things done in the Senate, and she has no presidential ambitions.

But that’s not usually how it works.  The people who make a big name for themselves in the Senate are mostly people who end up running for president.  Those who aren’t interested in running for president become random backbenchers who we never hear from.  Eventual presidential candidates are far more likely to write books about themselves and/or their platform, set up leadership PACs, etc.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »

What everyone else has said, mostly.

1) It's totally possible that she peaked in terms of Presidential chances in 2016

2) At the same time, Christie cratered because of
A) criminal activity, something we assume Warren won't be caught in and
B) terrible mismanagement of NJ, something that's not possible for someone in a legislative, non-executive position
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »

yes with biden and all.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »

I saw her referred to as the RFK of the Democratic party, in that she's the only one who at this point could bring together the two wings of the party; I'd wager there's a high proportion of bernie backers who'd support her over someone like Ellison/or some other 'true progressive' and an equally high proportion of Clinton backers who'd support her over Booker/Newsom/generic D

The parallel with Christie doesn't really fit; his aborted 2012 run was very much about finding an anti-Romney (of which they approached dozens; Bush/Ryan/Barbour/Daniels) and Christie backed out because he knew he had a better shot at 2016.

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »

If she runs, she'll probably win, but that's just because Bernie wouldn't run against her.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »

No, she's more likely to crash like Howard Dean.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 01:10:13 AM »

*ahem*
Fargobison

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 03:57:56 AM »

Dukakis, is more of Warren's kind of crash.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »

I saw her referred to as the RFK of the Democratic party, in that she's the only one who at this point could bring together the two wings of the party; I'd wager there's a high proportion of bernie backers who'd support her over someone like Ellison/or some other 'true progressive' and an equally high proportion of Clinton backers who'd support her over Booker/Newsom/generic D

The parallel with Christie doesn't really fit; his aborted 2012 run was very much about finding an anti-Romney (of which they approached dozens; Bush/Ryan/Barbour/Daniels) and Christie backed out because he knew he had a better shot at 2016.  

Look, I'll vote for her over one of the sh**tty more establishment candidates, but she did nothing for Bernie when he ran, while in 2014 she said he hoped Hillary would run, and "Hillary is terrific". I'd only vote for her because most of the other options suck even worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2014/04/27/elizabeth-warren-i-hope-hillary-clinton-runs-for-president/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b1f5145e7e77
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »

No, she's more likely to crash like Howard Dean.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »

I mean, shes only at around 5% right now. Crashing isnt the word I would use, more "fade away".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies