What if electoral votes were awarded proportionally? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What if electoral votes were awarded proportionally? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if electoral votes were awarded proportionally?  (Read 20859 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: December 14, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »

For 2016, Trump would've likely still had more EVs than Clinton, but whether he cleared 270 would depend on your rounding rules and third party thresholds.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »

OK just done the maths: I'll post the state by state totals later on but the results without a threshold are Clinton 270, Trump 264, Johnson 2, Stein 1 and McMullin 1.  With a 5% threshold, its Clinton 272, Trump 265 and McMullin 1.  Only one area gives all of its EVs to one person (DC; indeed Trump would fall below a 5% threshold although its academic when you only have three electoral votes); everywhere else splits.  Some interesting results which show the disadvantage of PR with small number of seats: all of the three-EV state have to split 2/1 even where there's a tight margin, which Rhode Island is 2/2 despite Clinton handily winning.

Those aren't the numbers I got. I don't think you're awarding the two-vote victory bonus, as there should be quite a few more 100% states if you do. It changes the calculation substantially.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies