Fake News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:51:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fake News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fake News  (Read 6205 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »

It's a good thing there are other search engines like Yahoo or DuckDuckGo for when Google makes it where you can't search for Conservative websites  Wink

I mean, others could as well. If Google/Bing delisted some of these sites, they would definitely see a marked dropped in viewers. And I'm not really talking about "conservative websites" wholesale. I don't have a problem with most conservative sites (even if I tend to disagree with their views and/or writing styles, such as news slanting)

We're on the same page that "fake news" are stories that can be proven false, right? Not just anything conservative?

The problem with that is a lot of Democrats as well as the Media label what ever story they don't like as "fake news". I think Pizzagate along with the Hillary e-mails are legitimate stories and not fake news.

Confirmation bias is a strong thing.
EnglishPete

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »

at
It's a good thing Paul Joseph Watson is a fair, unbiased source, not in any way associated with some conspiracy theorist's hack site.

It's not like the MSM is an unbiased source. They carried water for the Hillary Clinton Campaign the entire time and openly admitted it.

No, they gave Trump free advertising and they mutually benefitted from it.
The Morning Joes openly admitted the the Media was all in for Hillary Clinton and they said ths was why the Media acted so angry and sad when Donald Trump won.

The "MSM" cares about one thing and that's making money.  Get your head out of your ass.
What the MSM cares about is serving the interests of their corporate bosses. In large part that involves making money. However promoting the political, social and ideological agenda of their corporate bosses is also important. Since corporate America is largely liberal in politics and ideology the media will reflect that.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »

most people just don't get what fake news are.

To the mainstream media fake news is political news that they disagree with. You can't stop "fake news" without sh*tting on freedom of speech.

pizza-gate is fake news and all similar news are fake too.

and more important than "fake news" are "fake news sources".

if a major newspaper makes a mistake it corrects itself or you find another take by another real newspaper.

there is no source, no correction and no responsibility for sites like infowars, prison planet, etc.....easy as that.

There is a such thing as freedom of speech and you can't shut them Infowars,Prison Planet,World Net Daily or Breitbart because you disagree with it.

i don't want to "shut" them.......(nearly impossible today, they would come back as infowars.ru as long as they never ever write anything critical of putin).... i want their readers to be aware that those sites are much less reliable even as the evil liberal-biased MSM (no definition of that word means anything without including FOX and the WSJ and the NYP and soon even Breitbart) and never correct themselves and show no responsibility at all.

you can read all those sources, just be aware that even the weakest NY daily news piece is more reliable than their "scoops".
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 01:09:36 AM »

To the mainstream media fake news is political news that they disagree with. You can't stop "fake news" without sh*tting on freedom of speech.

if a major newspaper makes a mistake it corrects itself or you find another take by another real newspaper.

there is no source, no correction and no responsibility for sites like infowars, prison planet, etc.....easy as that.

There is a such thing as freedom of speech and you can't shut them Infowars,Prison Planet,World Net Daily or Breitbart because you disagree with it.

No one wants to shut down your friends' little tabloid sites, sweetheart.

There's certainly a suggestion at it in evergreen's posts.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »

It's a good thing there are other search engines like Yahoo or DuckDuckGo for when Google makes it where you can't search for Conservative websites  Wink

I mean, others could as well. If Google/Bing delisted some of these sites, they would definitely see a marked dropped in viewers. And I'm not really talking about "conservative websites" wholesale. I don't have a problem with most conservative sites (even if I tend to disagree with their views and/or writing styles, such as news slanting)

We're on the same page that "fake news" are stories that can be proven false, right? Not just anything conservative?

The problem with that is a lot of Democrats as well as the Media label what ever story they don't like as "fake news". I think Pizzagate along with the Hillary e-mails are legitimate stories and not fake news.

You believe John Podesta is running/ran a underage brothel in a pizzeria in the pizzeria's basement?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »

I dont see anyone saying shut it down. Its just amusing to hear an infowars writer talk about fake news since they spent 10 years blaming 9/11 on jews and thermite and claiming hurricane Katrina was created by a weather machine.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 08:56:59 AM »

unfortunately, many of my views are not exactly widespread ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
EnglishPete

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »

You actually think that the US government should shut down Trump supporting news outlets like Infowars, Breitbart and the rest. I wonder if a trump adminstration shut down anti Trump news outlets like the new York Times or the Huffington Post if you wouldn't be complaining the loudest.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »

yes only millionaires like Peter Thiel should be able to shut down sites that displease them.
EnglishPete

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »

yes only millionaires like Peter Thiel should be able to shut down sites that displease them.
Funny how leftist will constantly say "free speech doesn't mean that you're free from social consequences of your speech" whenever a conservative is witch hunted or blacklisted for saying something.

Conservative Peter Theil imposes social consequences on the liberal Gawker site for their speech and suddenly liberals say "this is a threat to free speech!"
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »

Gawker is trash, as is 99% of the media in general.  But it's not because of "bias" one way or the other, it's because they've spent the last 20+ years dumbing down our politics and sensationalizing irrelevant bullsh**t.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »

You actually think that the US government should shut down Trump supporting news outlets like Infowars, Breitbart and the rest. I wonder if a trump adminstration shut down anti Trump news outlets like the new York Times or the Huffington Post if you wouldn't be complaining the loudest.
why does literally every reäctionary fckwit get their moral compass from dril's wise man
truly a mystery for the ages
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 10:54:25 AM by 🦀🎂 »

Funny how leftist will constantly say "free speech doesn't mean that you're free from social consequences of your speech" whenever a conservative is witch hunted or blacklisted for saying something.

Conservative Peter Theil imposes social consequences on the liberal Gawker site for their speech and suddenly liberals say "this is a threat to free speech!"

Gawker was trash and its loss was more amusing to me than anything else, but I somehow doubt that if George Soros and Waren Buffet funded the Pizzagate targets to go after Breitbart and Infowars in court you'd be happy. Obviously people who witch-hunt on twitter are sanctimonious oafs (although this happens to people of all ideologies), but there is a big difference between somebody being trolled for being a moron and a billionaire literally using the law to bankrupt those he dislikes.

Also jesus can we turn down the victim complex for five seconds, lol.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »

Gawker was trash and its loss was more amusing to me than anything else, but I somehow doubt that if George Soros and Waren Buffet funded the Pizzagate targets to go after Breitbart and Infowars in court you'd be happy.

Say that to the Democrats as well just to be even handed Wink
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »

Gawker was trash and its loss was more amusing to me than anything else, but I somehow doubt that if George Soros and Waren Buffet funded the Pizzagate targets to go after Breitbart and Infowars in court you'd be happy.

Say that to the Democrats as well just to be even handed Wink

tbh amd perhaps I am biase, conservatives seem a lot whinier nowadays. To the extent even their leaders whine - remember when Ted Cruz cried on stage because somebody asked him a mean question? lol
EnglishPete

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »

why does literally every reäctionary fckwit get their moral compass from dril's wise man
Well I don't think that there are many people who think that HuffPo and the NYT are morally equivalent to Breitbart and Infowars. I think are plenty of people who think the former news outlets to be morally better (mostly liberals) and plenty who think the latter news outlets to be morally better (mostly conservatives). Also I'm sure there are even more who just don't know or don't have an opinion.

The point is that you'd like the government to shut down the right wing news outlets that right wingers (e.g. Breitbart, Infowars) like myself think are better but if any government shut down the left wing news outlets (e.g. HuffPo, NYT) that lefties like yourself think are better you'd probably complain wildly.
EnglishPete

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »

Do you mind not calling me 'Jesus'. I appreciate the complement but it is a little bit blasphemous to address me that way, 'pete' will do fine.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »

Breitbart and Infowars are great. So was Gawker and the NY Times. Let a hundred flowers bloom, and a hundred schools of thought contend!
Mike67
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »

Breitbart and Infowars are great. So was Gawker and the NY Times. Let a hundred flowers bloom, and a hundred schools of thought contend!

LOL the Democrats tend to be more Stalinist than Maoist(Your Mao quote Wink  )
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »

nyt > BB > gawker > IW

you can read all of them but ofc the NYT is the most reliable and looking for the highest standard.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »

Well I don't think that there are many people who think that HuffPo and the NYT are morally equivalent to Breitbart and Infowars. I think are plenty of people who think the former news outlets to be morally better (mostly liberals) and plenty who think the latter news outlets to be morally better (mostly conservatives). Also I'm sure there are even more who just don't know or don't have an opinion.

The point is that you'd like the government to shut down the right wing news outlets that right wingers (e.g. Breitbart, Infowars) like myself think are better but if any government shut down the left wing news outlets (e.g. HuffPo, NYT) that lefties like yourself think are better you'd probably complain wildly.
no opinion is involved. huffpo and nyt are objectively so far above breitbart and infowars in terms of factuality that they're not reasonably comparable.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »

no opinion is involved. huffpo and nyt are objectively so far above breitbart and infowars in terms of factuality that they're not reasonably comparable.

The NYT and Huffington Post were not objective because they were up front with their support for Hillary Clinton.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »

being objectively better than someone else is something totally different than being objective.
EnglishPete

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »

Well all four are news organisations and news blogs. one of them still has a print version and the other four don't but that distinction is much less significant than it once was. As for HuffPo and NYT being objectively far above Breitbartbart and Infowars that's a matter of opinion. Its certainly not an opinion I share. Personally, like many on the right, I think Breitbart and Infowars are better.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »

Wait Breitbart I understand, but Info wars? Lol. Do you believe Sandy Hook was a false flag, Bush did 9/11 and that Hillary runs a child smuggling ring out of a pizzeria? Even I don't underestimate the right enough to think they are mainstream positions for conservatives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies