Fed Raises Interest Rates for the Second Time Since the Great Recession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed Raises Interest Rates for the Second Time Since the Great Recession
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed Raises Interest Rates for the Second Time Since the Great Recession  (Read 1846 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »

Fed Raises Key Interest Rate, Citing Strengthening Economy

By BINYAMIN APPELBAUM
DEC. 14, 2016

WASHINGTON —
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mike67
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:43:55 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 12:38:18 PM by Mike67 »

I wonder what effect this will have on the economy? This is very curious timing with  Donald Trump becoming President in a little over a month.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

I wonder what effect this will have on the economy? This is very curious timing with  Donald Trump becoming President in a little over a month.
Not at all. They did the same thing last December, and were expected to do it in December since before the election.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »

This is the timing that had been planned long before. The economy is growing - so, rates have to go up. They are not even beginning to react to the election. They would have done exactly the same thing irrespective of what happened politically.

Of course, once Trump is president and starts doing whatever he wants to do, they will start reacting. If inflation starts taking of, they will do something to dampen it. Given that US is pretty much at full employment right now, if the administration insists on expansionary fiscal policy, they will do something with monetary policy. But they need to know what the administration is going to do.

And, of course, if Mr. Trump feels they are doing anything wrong, he can easily not renominate Mme. Yellen for the next term - she only has a year left, I believe. I wonder, what will the markets think Smiley
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »

This is the timing that had been planned long before. The economy is growing - so, rates have to go up. They are not even beginning to react to the election. They would have done exactly the same thing irrespective of what happened politically.

Of course, once Trump is president and starts doing whatever he wants to do, they will start reacting. If inflation starts taking of, they will do something to dampen it. Given that US is pretty much at full employment right now, if the administration insists on expansionary fiscal policy, they will do something with monetary policy. But they need to know what the administration is going to do.

And, of course, if Mr. Trump feels they are doing anything wrong, he can easily not renominate Mme. Yellen for the next term - she only has a year left, I believe. I wonder, what will the markets think Smiley

Does the man even understand what the Federal Reserv-well. He probably does. Probably doesn't care. He's pledged to nominate a Republican to head the Federal Reserve, whatever that means  For the record, the Yellen Federal Reserve has been fairly restrained and decent at gauging markets. We've had a good streak under Obama/Yellen.

This rate hike was telegraphed in 2015, when the Federal Reserve told the world they expected to raise interest rates in 2016. They're now telegraphing a series of rate hikes in 2017.

(Do I necessarily think this is a good idea, not necessarily. But that's a different subject).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies