AtlasRail: A Consultation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  AtlasRail: A Consultation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AtlasRail: A Consultation  (Read 1301 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »

Rather than posting a speech that no-one would read, or a senate bill that no-one would read I've decided to create a consultation and discussion about the plans to build a high speed rail network across Atlasia. As I said during the campaign there's numerous benefits to a high speed rail project; not only would it create jobs but I hope it could provide the same boost that was given by the Interstate Highway Project. I'll post a number of maps, and articles below- and hopefully start a national conversation on the issue.

Option 1: A more limited HS rail option; with regional high speed areas

Option 2: A more wide reaching plan

Option 3

ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »

I am definitely a fan of this idea. As for options, I like the second one best, an extensive rail system that can cover all major sectors of the nation stands to give us the most bang for our buck. Maybe include the grey line from option one between Chicago and Pacific NW so that area gets some love too.

Otherwise I'd be fine with option one, but only if the regions themselves put their own plans for high speed rails to complement the ones in O1, and give the more secluded areas not covered a fast and cheaper way to travel into more populated areas. 

I don't really have much to say about option 3, it's alright I guess. I'd rather focus on one and two.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »

This sounds like a good idea (and it sounds familiar for some reason). I'd choose option three if I had to, though we could make our own designs, maybe even on a regional level. And who is going to pay for this?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:42:55 PM »

I am a big fan of this idea and will see that one of these plans (ideally option 1 or Mike's idea) makes it to fruition (if this is indeed done federally)

x Senator-Elect LLR
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »

Massive, massive white elephant as evinced by the California situation. The only place it would possibly work is on the Boston-Washington DC corridor. And even then ridership figures don't really justify it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »

This sounds like a good idea (and it sounds familiar for some reason). I'd choose option three if I had to, though we could make our own designs, maybe even on a regional level. And who is going to pay for this?

It's been talked about for a while in Atlasia IIRC.

The funding would be Federal+some regional investment+private sector+alternative funding (The Gas tax increase we just passed raised $19 billion for example/National Bond Scheme)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »

This is a part of my Jobs Bill FYI.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »

IIRC it was on the East Coast wasn't it?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

Correct. But just saying part of this is in the works to try to see if it can be effective in such a hot way like Boston to down South, then this will be able to be effective nationwide.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »

This is really solid. Option 2 looks fantastic but any of them would be great.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »

What is the cost breakdown of these?

Also option 1 is bizarre in it's exclusion of any stops in Tennessee (where the South's capital is), while having two each in Arkansas, Alabama, and Oklahoma.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:44:15 PM »

These projects always shake out to be disasters. Expensive, unproductive boondoggles. Deregulate and make way for private investment in rail.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 04:44:22 AM »

I mean Potus your approach seems to be the one that we've had for the last 30 years- in fact we did in the 1970's with the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976; which basically lead to what we saw in Europe- the private sector shift to focus on haulage, and keep away from passenger rail.

Good article here on the subject

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 06:22:50 AM »

Correct. But just saying part of this is in the works to try to see if it can be effective in such a hot way like Boston to down South, then this will be able to be effective nationwide.

Now Now, while you two fight out who came up with the idea on a regional scale. I was the one who originally thought up a plan in the South and I really would like to keep this on a regional scale if possible ( my plan also involved including private investors as a way to help fund this, along with tax stipends to those who couldn't afford to regularly ride this).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 06:55:53 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 07:01:42 AM by President Blair »

I did run on creating a high speed rail network back in October, and have always been clear, that much like the Interstate Highway Act its something that will require the federal government to have some sort of role. I'm happy for the regions to work together, and create a high speed rail system but we need a unified transportation strategy

One flagship policy I’d consider looking into with the help of the regions would be the creation of a high speed rail project; not only would this help boost the regional economies but it would move commuters, and cargo off the roads.

Blair's Plan to Save the Regions

[/b]
7. High Speed Rail: My Flagship policy to spur activity in the regions would be to begin discussion about a high speed rail network across Atlasia.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »

I like this idea. It will create jobs in the shirt term and long term, as well as providing a boost to the economy by making our nation more inter-connected. I think that option two would be a good starting blueprint for this project.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »

i feel like something akin to the first option (not necessarily those exact routes, but with h.s.r. limited to certain areäs) is much more plausible. probably i'd go with a combination of full h.s.r.-isation of high-density regions and renovations/upgrades of connecting routes

might draw up a map of my own, we'll see
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »

A compromise might be that you can build your rail network and I will build mine Tongue
GAworth
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:52 PM »

We enacted legislation in the Midwest about Rail. I am a huge fan of High Speed Rail and More Public Transit. Interested in a hybrid of 1 and 2.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 08:14:58 PM »

Let's have the federal government pay for this, and offer to pay one quarter of regional costs for railroad expansion making new lines, to a certain extent. After that extent, the regional governments can manage, keep and care for, and pay for further expansion.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »

Let's have the federal government pay for this, and offer to pay one quarter of regional costs for railroad expansion making new lines, to a certain extent. After that extent, the regional governments can manage, keep and care for, and pay for further expansion.

Very detailed breakdown when we don't yet have an idea of the actual numbers.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Demand just isn't there. Longer trips are pretty well served by cars or busses. Beyond that you have folks like Southwest airlines. We would do well to listen to what people are trying to tell us about the trains.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »

Demand just isn't there. Longer trips are pretty well served by cars or busses. Beyond that you have folks like Southwest airlines. We would do well to listen to what people are trying to tell us about the trains.
demand isn't there irl because it's not a serious topic of discussion. not the other way around.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »

Americans prefer cars. That's why you tax cars and subsidize everything else. If people wanted to travel by trains, you could tax it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »

Option 2 looks best to me.

Let's get this public works project on the road, or on the rails, as the case may be.

Mr. President, may I suggest we call this project WinRail.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies