I know now what I really want to do
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  I know now what I really want to do
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I know now what I really want to do  (Read 974 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »

For weeks, no for months, since I really discovered myself in Atlasia (probably sometime in like November 2016 I'd say) I've never really felt right. Holding offices was fun and all but it was tedious and didn't really feel right and while running for things and running things is fun, It left me with not a lot to do, I am not good at writing bills and while I did write a few bills, the main reason I resigned was once again, I suck at writing bills, felt like I was doing a disservice to the game by now, etc.

What I am good at doing....is forecasting and reporting on weather and reporting on natural disasters as I guess people in #southernchat and those on my facebook can probably confirm. So what I want to do if possible is start up the National Weather Service (or something to that degree) of Atlasia, which would report on and forecast weather events and possibly natural disasters in Atlasia and possibly around the world. This would of course need confirmation from the GM, but I'm hoping it works out as this is the one thing that would absolutely not bore or tire me. Just a uh, rant or revelation of my present plans I guess. Carry on.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »

It's a great idea. I support you doing this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »

You can be my Dave Dahl any day, Mr. President.  I believe everybody should perform the function in Atlasia that best fits their interests and I believe we would have excellent weather information with DFW at the helm.  

I also believe it would help international relations to have such a talented official provide forecasts to our allies as well, as weather can create both stability and chaos with no regard to our sensitive international political situation.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »

This would be cool.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:56:30 PM »

I, for one, welcome our meteorologist overlords.

And this project, which would definitely spice things up a bit.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »

I'd like to see an NWS equivalent for Atlasia formed.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »

Is the weather over Atlasia the same as over the irl United States?
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »

Is the weather over Atlasia the same as over the irl United States?

No. For instance, Hurricane Harvey passed over Miami in Atlasia as opposed to Texas.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »

Not at this point.....but I'd try to course correct and have it be similar in cases where I know extreme weather is going to occur. That being said, if a hurricane season were to be quiet, I may generate a couple of hurricanes to keep things going, or if the weather is quiet IRL this could change easily in-game.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »

This is one of those things where I'm assuming we already have the position, in effect. We changed the positions pre-reset and then again I believe in the reset, so I'm not sure what they're called anymore - or if they even exist. It used to be GM, SoIA (Secretary of Internal Affairs; story-telling domestically) and SoEA (Secretary of External Affairs; story-telling internationally). All stories fell under the purview of the GM and could even be dismissed by the GM if the SoIA/SoEA got too crazy.

Anywho, assuming these positions or some variants still exist, the creation of additional offices (whether elected or unelected, but especially unelected) rarely works out over the long-term. It's not just about creating a position for somebody who demonstrates interest and capability in the here and now, but extrapolating that and being able to guarantee that there's always going to be somebody who's willing and able to fill the roles in the future. Otherwise, you end up with a situation like we've had at multiple times in the past where cabinet roles and other positions remain vacant and/or underutilized as a result.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »

This is one of those things where I'm assuming we already have the position, in effect. We changed the positions pre-reset and then again I believe in the reset, so I'm not sure what they're called anymore - or if they even exist. It used to be GM, SoIA (Secretary of Internal Affairs; story-telling domestically) and SoEA (Secretary of External Affairs; story-telling internationally). All stories fell under the purview of the GM and could even be dismissed by the GM if the SoIA/SoEA got too crazy.

Anywho, assuming these positions or some variants still exist, the creation of additional offices (whether elected or unelected, but especially unelected) rarely works out over the long-term. It's not just about creating a position for somebody who demonstrates interest and capability in the here and now, but extrapolating that and being able to guarantee that there's always going to be somebody who's willing and able to fill the roles in the future. Otherwise, you end up with a situation like we've had at multiple times in the past where cabinet roles and other positions remain vacant and/or underutilized as a result.

Yeah, I thought about that which is why I don't want to create a new position. What I basically want to do is serve under the GM in this respect, if someone didn't want to do some kind of weather only role it could easily just be taken up by the GM again (this is GM job btw post-reset)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 02:19:18 AM »

What Griffin is referring to is the division of Game Moderation duties between the GM, SoIA and SoEA/SOS, which was enacted in 2011 under I think President Tmthforu94, though last year at some point I recall him saying it was a mistake, probably during the Con-Con.

Either way, the idea was to spread out the game moderation duties, but it also distorted the natural job of the SoS and SoIA, which is/was to be the Administrations lead responder (typically under the direction of the President who would naturally set administration policy) to a crisis either of a foreign or domestic nature respectively. With them generating stories that had to create stories and then respond to them, which didn't make sense and it did little to improve the quality or activity of the SoIAs.

Post-Reset, it has returned to the previous arrangement of the GM/Deputy GM creating the stories and numbers and the cabinet responding to them.

That being said, if some kind of informal arrangement can be set up so there is no permenent office, with more the GM basically just "sub-contracting out" the weather aspect, I would be supportive of that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies