The Department of State II: Electric Boogaloo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Department of State II: Electric Boogaloo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Department of State II: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 6277 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »

Prime Minister Truman, I am not going to choose a side in the conflict. Secretary of State TedBessell and I are contacting China and South Korea to make sure we continue to be in communication, but we aren't going to escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula or make an even worse enemy if we choose the wrong side, that would be the worst possible option.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »

Prime Minister Truman, I am not going to choose a side in the conflict. Secretary of State TedBessell and I are contacting China and South Korea to make sure we continue to be in communication, but we aren't going to escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula or make an even worse enemy if we choose the wrong side, that would be the worst possible option.
Well, of course not. I never proposed anything of the sort; in fact, I'm a little worried that you felt the need even to say this (I would hope no-one in the administration is advocating for this approach). The main object here is not the internal politics of North Korea, but the security of our allies in the region and the stability of the East Asian market. To that end, there ought be no question in the minds of our allies that we would come to their aid in the event that the DPRK should make war against them.

I'm glad to hear the lines of communication to Beijing and Seoul remain open; I trust efforts will be made to calm Tokyo as well. Speaking as the former Secretary of State and erstwhile president of the republic, I am ever willing to do anything I can to bring about the swift and peaceful stabilization of the region, should the administration so desire it.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »

Of course, my philosophy is that we should only go to war if we or our allies are attacked. If North Korea has the audacity to attack South Korea, Japan, or US, we will have all options on the table to strike back.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »

Of course, my philosophy is that we should only go to war if we or our allies are attacked. If North Korea has the audacity to attack South Korea, Japan, or US, we will have all options on the table to strike back.

If they are currently edging on civil war, I don't think the worry is them attacking South Korea. More likely that militant groups will gain control of nuclear weapons. That's what we should be worried about here, and be looking how to stop and secure the weapons.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »

DFW, I consider myself a non-interventionist, but there's no way you can actually think this is the best idea, is there? I strongly encourage you to reconsider this decision.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »

DFW, I consider myself a non-interventionist, but there's no way you can actually think this is the best idea, is there? I strongly encourage you to reconsider this decision.
I'm not sure what you mean here, there is no reason for us to act in a substantial way (IE non-diplomatically) unless we are attacked or we have evidence that an attack is coming that can be seriously backed up. Non-interventionists aren't actually non-interventionists unless they carry out their belief.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »

there is no reason for us to act in a substantial way (IE non-diplomatically)
Huh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you're implying diplomacy does not constitute a "substantial" foreign policy - which makes me think we're operating off two very different definitions of the term. Is there an actual plan in place (beyond "not getting involved"), or are we flying by the seat of our pants here?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »

Non-interventionism literally means that you still diplomatically deal with things but that you do not intervene in wars and such, we still have alliances which are vital and thus we will defend the alliances if needed. What I am saying to be clear (and not sure people need me to keep repeating the same thing over and over to understand this) is that we will continue to speak with China and South Korea to stay on the same page while monitoring the situation in North Korea. We will not send troops into North Korea and we will not bomb North Korea et al. As I said before, if North Korea attacks or there is evidence we are about to attack, then we will get involved.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »

Just read Reply #25 and you will see what the plan is.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »

Not really, no. I understand that the administration is communicating with China and South Korea; it is not clear to me if we are attempting to resolve the crisis, or simply watching and waiting. I apologize if I'm badgering you, I just find the whole situation interesting and I'm curious.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »

Not really, no. I understand that the administration is communicating with China and South Korea; it is not clear to me if we are attempting to resolve the crisis, or simply watching and waiting. I apologize if I'm badgering you, I just find the whole situation interesting and I'm curious.
Ah ok, at the moment we are monitoring and waiting to see how the situation evolves before taking any possible actions, I prefer to leave it to China and South Korea (along with other potential members on the world state, including Russia) to see what they would like to do as they are much closer than we are and thus much more at risk of a possible attack.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:52 AM »

Is this still the DoS thread?  I haven't seen anything from Snowguy since he was confirmed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies