If Joe Biden entered the race, who would have won the Democratic nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:01:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Joe Biden entered the race, who would have won the Democratic nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Joe Biden entered the race, who would have won the Democratic nomination?
Hillary Clinton

Bernie Sanders

Joe Biden

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: If Joe Biden entered the race, who would have won the Democratic nomination?  (Read 675 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

If Joe Biden entered the race, who would have won the Democratic nomination in 2016?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »

My guess is that Joe Biden would've split the votes with Hillary Clinton, as they are both establishment candidates and would easily attract the pro-establishment people of the Democratic Party.

Causing Bernie Sanders to be easily nominated.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »

Sernie Banders
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 11:23:46 PM by UWS »

What if it causes a brokered convention?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »

What if it causes a brokered convention?

Bernie Sanders
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »

Joe Biden, in a paradoxical situation similar to Kasich's, would, as the most electable of the three, be the least likely to win the primary.

Either
1) Sanders wins due to coalition/demographic splitting described above (Sanders' supporters less likely to be cannibalized, Biden has little natural constituency and his mostly overlaps with Clinton other than rural WCW protest votes in a few states)

2) Clinton wins because Biden's entrance into the race sucks up an absurd amount of media oxygen
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:56:50 AM »

Depends on when he enters. It would have to be early on, before Bernie became the de facto anti-Clinton choice.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:14 AM »

Bernie Sanders. Joe Biden's positions on TPP, NAFTA, Fracking, Drugs, Iraq war etc was similar to Hillary.

Biden would have taken a huge section of African American votes turning Southern states into 3 way races & allowing Sanders to sweep all other places.

NBC did a poll if Biden entered, what would happen & before even the debate took place (with Sanders contrasting him & Biden), Biden was talking more than 2 times for every 1 vote from Sanders & that would get even worse.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »

Yes, but only if Obama had actively campaigned for him. With the president's help, he could have made it.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »

I now think Biden would have been nominated.

I now think that the black voters that were in the tank for Hillary would have supported Biden in numbers significant enough to make it a race.

I think that the weight of Hillary's e-mail scandals would have given Biden momentum over time.

And I think Biden would have beaten Trump.  This election was not a rejection of Obama; it was a rejection of the Clintons, and of Hillary Clinton in particular.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »

Biden would've had to be willing to attack Clinton for her emails and other character/personal issues since there was little difference between them on policy. That's not his forte. Clinton would've still won the nomination, though it's possible a brokered convention could have occurred.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »

Clinton still wins.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 01:43:29 AM »

Depends on when he enters. It would have to be early on, before Bernie became the de facto anti-Clinton choice.

Bernie was more the pro issues that actually help people than the anti Hillary choice.  Polls showed that Bernie lost very little support to Biden.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 02:19:14 AM »

I think it would have been close enough between all three for nobody now to be able to say with absolute certainty who would have won.

As much as some Bernie supporters don't want to admit, there was a less-than-insignificant coalition of Sanders voters who were simply "anti-Hillary" and were registering their voices as such. You also had people for whom Biden's personality and approach to issues were more in line with what they actually wanted.

And as much as some Hillary supporters don't want to admit, there was a less-than-significant coalition of Clinton voters who were simply kneejerk "pro-establishment" types and/or wanted a simple continuation of the trends because they didn't want anything to change for poorer people that might upset their own unearned prosperity. Biden would have been a much better choice as VP for the past eight years to embody that for them.

Do you think Sanders would have won WV in a three-way matchup? Oklahoma? Michigan? Would Clinton have won Ohio? Pennsylvania? Delaware?

Start adding in a variety of other coalitions - the Rust Belt types who crossed over to vote for Trump that might have otherwise stayed in the Democratic primary and voted for Biden, those who genuinely just didn't want a woman as President, unions in general, establishment types who thought Hillary was a flawed candidate but better than Bernie - and it snowballs really quickly from there.

I think he would have easily drawn enough support to put Sanders in the lead in a vacuum, but he would have pulled enough from Sanders as well to make it either a very close two-way race between Clinton/Sanders where nobody could secure a majority of delegates, or a genuine three-way contest.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »

The big problem for Biden was his late entry; which would have cost him in Iowa and New Hampshire purely from a fundraising/organisational stance.

If he declared in the summer of 2015, and threw himself at running he would have had a shot- his whole 'will I/Won't I' stance for 4-6 weeks actually lowered my opinion of him
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »

I think we'd be calling him, Mr. President-Elect right now if he did.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies