NH-GOV 2018: Molly Kelly (D) running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:27:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-GOV 2018: Molly Kelly (D) running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: NH-GOV 2018: Molly Kelly (D) running  (Read 25813 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 03:09:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For such a small state, NH has a huge legislature

It's quite pointless too.   People just vote straight ticket 95% of the time, that leads to districts electing slates of representatives that are 100% Democrat or 100% Republican almost universally.  

It would be so easy to downsize the chamber and have it be way more effective.  

But then all those hard working legislators would be out of work!

That said, I also kind of dislike the system that Washington, Arizona, and New Jersey use where each Senate district elects two House members. Leads to smaller communities not being represented enough IMO.

They get paid $200 a term. For 90% of them, it's more a question of losing their hobby they picked up when the kids went off to college rather than any financial concern.

Absolutely. I was surprized at the extremely high number of retired persons in New Hampshire legislature, but only until i saw a legislator's payment sum. It's really a hobby for vast majority of them...
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 06:04:59 AM »

I am so happy "right to work" was defeated. I'll take good news wherever I can get it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »

Good that reasonable Republicans, not voting for idiotic legislation, and having their own (distinct from party leadership) opinion on isuues still exist. AFAIK - there are similar Democrats too....

Huh, pleasantly surprised you're anti-RTW.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »

Good that reasonable Republicans, not voting for idiotic legislation, and having their own (distinct from party leadership) opinion on isuues still exist. AFAIK - there are similar Democrats too....

Huh, pleasantly surprised you're anti-RTW.

I am not anti-union, though i can't say i admire all of them. And i am pro-environment, pro-choice (with only minimal restrictions, which looks reasonable to me) and pro-SSM (though it took time for me to come to this position, i was "only" pro civil unions initially). So - i am not that "reactionary", rather very strong "anti-party maverick", who is absolutely mad about present day political polarization (especially - compared to early 1970th when i began to study politics).....
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »

lol does this even matter? We'll have national RTW soon anyway
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:54 PM »

I think they were terribly afraid of the backlash they would cause with it. NH is a solidly liberal state when it comes to issues like abortion, unions, gay marriage, pot, workers rights etc. It's why Republicans like Sununu basically have to govern like very liberal Republicans/"Democrats lite" in order for them to even stand a small chance of winning reelection in 2018. Scott, Baker and Hogan seem to be much better at this than Sununu, though.

The ultra conservative NH of the 80s is long gone, and Sununu needs to realize this ASAP.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »

I think they were terribly afraid of the backlash they would cause with it. NH is a solidly liberal state when it comes to issues like abortion, unions, gay marriage, pot, workers rights etc. It's why Republicans like Sununu basically have to govern like very liberal Republicans/"Democrats lite" in order for them to even stand a small chance of winning reelection in 2018. Scott, Baker and Hogan seem to be much better at this than Sununu, though.

The ultra conservative NH of the 80s is long gone, and Sununu needs to realize this ASAP.

-NH, like VT, had a strong 1980 Anderson vote.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2017, 06:26:27 AM »

HA HA KRAZEN!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

Not so long as it takes 8 Democrats to sign off on it. If Republicans find a way to do it without them (filibuster "reform"?), then Democrats can just as easily roll it back next time we have full control, even if that takes a while.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »

Good job GOPers who voted against that disastrous legislation. Interesting to see where Sunununununu will go from here.
A major setback for the governor. Certainly will be interesting to see.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

Not so long as it takes 8 Democrats to sign off on it. If Republicans find a way to do it without them (filibuster "reform"?), then Democrats can just as easily roll it back next time we have full control, even if that takes a while.

That's what they said about Taft Hartley.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

A shame but why is the Sununu family royally incompetent in government?  I would've thought NH was a great RTW State in the Northeast.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2017, 10:56:51 PM »

Sununu approval: 42/13 (+29)

Shaheen favorability: 50/32 (+18)
Hassan favorability: 47/36 (+11)
Shea-Porter favorability: 36/29 (+7)
Kuster favorability: 36/28 (+8)

http://cola.unh.edu/sites/cola.unh.edu/files/research_publications/gsp2017_winter_govapp21517.pdf

http://cola.unh.edu/sites/cola.unh.edu/files/research_publications/gsp2017_winter_congapp21617.pdf
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »

Those Sununu numbers look off. Probably the people who didn't choose either will break heavily against him. Of course, the four Angries are popular, no surprise.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »

It turns out that Sununu's Education Dept appointee has donated money to a lawsuit against the state.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »

This is going to make a lot of NH women angry!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »

Steve Marchand running again.

He was one of the Democratic candidates last time. Probably not the best candidate, but at least someone is running.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »

He was one of the Democratic candidates last time. Probably not the best candidate, but at least someone is running.
He's dismissed in GOP circles, and I don't think he's a strong candidate. That being said, he's getting early which is smart, and two if he is able to tap into the grassroots element here in the state, couple with the national tide in '18 he could win.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »

He's dismissed in GOP circles, and I don't think he's a strong candidate. That being said, he's getting early which is smart, and two if he is able to tap into the grassroots element here in the state, couple with the national tide in '18 he could win.
He was dismissed in Dem cricles too. When I worked for HFA in NH, whenever anyone brought up Marchand the party workers had to physically stop themselves from rolling their eyes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 06:49:46 AM by Fearless Leader X »

He was dismissed in Dem cricles too. When I worked for HFA in NH, whenever anyone brought up Marchand the party workers had to physically stop themselves from rolling their eyes.

That's b/c IIRC he was chairman of No Labels when they were slobbering all over Trump.  I've heard Van Ostern and Connolly are both considering a re-match, but even if neither runs, Marchand won't be the nominee.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »

Woah, Van Ostern was only 37 last cycle? I didn't realize how young he is.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »

That's b/c IIRC he was chairman of No Labels when they were slobbering all over Trump.  I've heard Van Ostern and Connolly are both considering a re-match, but even if neither runs, Marchand won't be the nominee.
Is that so? Wow. I thought it was because he was a stereotypical Local Politician With High Opinion Of Self.

I met CVO once. He was a great guy (and was clearly the one who NHDP workers wanted).
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »

Huh, that's fascinating. Did not know that.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

Is Chris Pappas getting any mention? He seems a bit cautious about jumping in.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

https://cola.unh.edu/sites/cola.unh.edu/files/research_publications/gsp2017_spring_govapp050917.pdf

Sununu approval:

57% Approve
17% Disapprove

Horrible state.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies