Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:23:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated  (Read 1388 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »

Uh, well, what goes around comes around, I guess.

I'm too apathetic to care, actually.
Yes, hopefully Aleppo will literally not exist on the map by the end of the week.

This is some rhetorical point you are making maybe?  Hopefully?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Yes, hopefully Aleppo will literally not exist on the map by the end of the week.

Mostly. Of course, I have emphathy for the people there. But the events today show that the "moderate rebels" can't be trusted and need to be crushed before they ultimately become the ISIS of the 2020s.

Now, this shooter isn't aligned with ISIS or the rebels from what I've heard. He's actually connected to the elements who launched the coup this summer. This shooting was an attempt to destabilize the government of Turkey and Russia's noble efforts to bring Syria to piece. So if Assad turning Aleppo into rubble is necessary to bring the "rebels" to heel once and for all, then so be it.

If anything, the United States and the west ought to go to Assad and personally apologize for what we've done to Syria and Iraq in the last decades and then make it up to him by dropping a blank check into his lap until ISIS and the rebels are mopped up once and for all. We might as well try and draw him out of Russia and Iran's orbit while we're at it. That is a win-win-win.

Of course, we won't. Even under President Trump. Sad!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 01:22:33 AM »

This photo from AP by Burhan Ozbilici will probably go down as one of the most iconic pictures of 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/APImages/photos/a.10150155125758865.285772.70610223864/10154295988768865/?type=3&theater
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »

Mostly. Of course, I have emphathy for the people there. But the events today show that the "moderate rebels" can't be trusted and need to be crushed before they ultimately become the ISIS of the 2020s.

Now, this shooter isn't aligned with ISIS or the rebels from what I've heard. He's actually connected to the elements who launched the coup this summer. This shooting was an attempt to destabilize the government of Turkey and Russia's noble efforts to bring Syria to piece. So if Assad turning Aleppo into rubble is necessary to bring the "rebels" to heel once and for all, then so be it.

If anything, the United States and the west ought to go to Assad and personally apologize for what we've done to Syria and Iraq in the last decades and then make it up to him by dropping a blank check into his lap until ISIS and the rebels are mopped up once and for all. We might as well try and draw him out of Russia and Iran's orbit while we're at it. That is a win-win-win.

Of course, we won't. Even under President Trump. Sad!

Pieces, more like.  Bringing peace might have involved leaning on Assad to step down and put someone in who wasn't indiscriminately shelling his own cities and people. The sometimes- maybe-more-moderate rebels are mostly defeated now anyway, so you have your wish, now it's mostly just Al-Qaeda and ISIS who still have any power left against Assad. So the ISIS of 2020 is going to come probably from people witnessing the devastation now taking place. It doesn't take a genocidal religious extremist to want to kill someone from a regime involved in destroying a people, but such a situation is a good recruiting tool for those extremists.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:58 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2016, 01:58:23 AM by Meclazine »

Police are interested in speaking with this man. He may have knowledge as to the events leading up to the death of the Russian ambassador.

warandwar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 04:42:14 AM »

Hang on, is advocating genocide like this considered acceptable?
I dunno. Is it ok to voice support for Al Qaida "moderate rebels" here?

I've seen the video. The gunman hovered over the body for a period long enough for the security on hand to have taken him into custody. There was no reason to riddle him with holes. He was killed to keep him quiet.
What would be your strategy for taking someone who was carrying a loaded gun and was quoted as saying "call the police, I will die here" into custody?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »

I've seen the video. The gunman hovered over the body for a period long enough for the security on hand to have taken him into custody. There was no reason to riddle him with holes. He was killed to keep him quiet.
What would be your strategy for taking someone who was carrying a loaded gun and was quoted as saying "call the police, I will die here" into custody?
The Dylan Roof strategy?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »

The Dylan Roof strategy?
What? Dylann Roof wasn't captured on the scene, he fled and was picked up in a traffic stop.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »

The Dylan Roof strategy?
What? Dylann Roof wasn't captured on the scene, he fled and was picked up in a traffic stop.
Yes, but he fled while armed and dangerous. He made it clear he was going to make a last stand. But police took him into custody without incident. In fact, when it happened, I recall the usual suspects being rather disgusted that he wasn't killed or charged as a terrorist. Now, many of these people seem to be outraged that I and our President-elect don't have a sudden lust for the blood of Russians.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »

Unlikely, while we have had this weird media campaign to save Islamists rebels under siege in the depopulated Eastern Aleppo, Western Aleppo which was besieged for two years by FSA/Al-Nusra until the regime broke the siege in 2014, are home to the vast majority of Aleppo's population, and they celebrate Assad and Putin right now and the end of the attacks on civilian targets (with rockets and artillery) in Western Aleppo by the poor besieged freedom loving head choppers, who had liberated the eastern part of city from the local population. Also yes these Assad supporters are Sunnis with a significant Christian minority.

If Putin decides to take revenge, he will go after the rebels in the Idlib area. The Turks have supported them, but this attack gives Putin a way to push Turkey to cut its support. He can also use it as a excuse to send Russian land troops against ISIS, but I doubt that will happen, as ISIS serve as a argument for why Assad are the least bad alternative in Syria. Mostly because the other Islamist, especially Al-Nusra (which have another name now, to signify that they have cut their connection with Al Qaeda) which are smart enough to try to sell itself as "moderate" Islamist (in truth they're ISIS without the flamboyant sadism).

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies