Should the niqab br banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the niqab br banned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Should the niqab br banned?  (Read 1306 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2016, 04:36:37 PM »

I still lean no, because I think an out and out ban would be a crude way to deal with the issue that would disproportionately target the vulnerable and at risk women. That said I think the west needs to take action against the proliferation of veils - banning minors wearing them, banning them from schools, banks etc to ensure Salafis don't continue to usurp their less well-funded enemy branches of Islam.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »

No. That violates religious freedom guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »

No
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »

No. There are countless reasons why that'd likely be unconstitutional, while also being ethically wrong.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:16:16 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2016, 07:36:42 PM by Intell »

Of course, I don't support a medieval sexist clothing taking it's way to western culture.

Because this would send a signal to salafists and wahhabists that through force or subduction through tradition, you cannot make someone wear such a clothing that ruins their sense of self-identity, by placing them under a cover of one clothing, ruining their right to free expression and individuality. Banning thr burqa and/or niqab, would reduce how many women wear such clothes, and would help their integration to modern, liberal society.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »

Of course, I don't support a medieval sexist clothing taking it's way to western culture.

Because this would send a signal to salafists and wahhabists that through force or subduction through tradition, you cannot make someone wear such a clothing that ruins their sense of self-identity, by placing them under a cover of one clothing, ruining their right to free expression and individuality. Banning thr burqa and/or niqab, would reduce how many women wear such clothes, and would help their integration to modern, liberal society.
Let's protect women's right to self expression by deciding what clothes they're allowed to wear!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »

Let's protect women's right to self expression by deciding what clothes they're allowed to wear!

To some extent, yes. Men don't have to wear such a clothing, yet women in many cases are forced to through archaic tradition or relatives.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

To some extent, yes. Men don't have to wear such a clothing, yet women in many cases are forced to through archaic tradition or relatives.

And banning the niqab could result in numerous women being forced by their husband or male relatives into a life of complete domesticity. If their men are so vehemently opposed to their faces being revealed, which do you believe is more likely: their compliance with the law or them imprisoning these women in their homes?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

I'm generally not a fan of banning random articles of clothing.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »

No. That violates religious freedom guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

I'm against mandating clothing standards, so no it should not (nor should a woman be forced to wear it).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 09:14:28 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2016, 10:01:29 PM by Spicy Purrito »

What if that is there identity? What do you think of white girls who dress in full body black dresses from the 19th century?

I think we should be protecting individual's right to think and feel as they like and not telling them what they must.

If they are being forced into this sort of thing, of course they should be saved from it. Wearing niqab is kind of like being a sex worker in a way. If that's who you are, super! There's a big problem if there is someone else making you do it.

Iof course there are issues of family pressuring you to do things but we all have to make sacrifices with loved ones.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 12:42:43 AM »

And banning the niqab could result in numerous women being forced by their husband or male relatives into a life of complete domesticity. If their men are so vehemently opposed to their faces being revealed, which do you believe is more likely: their compliance with the law or them imprisoning these women in their homes?

That really would not happpen, instead woman would be free to wear less sexist clothing, and they would be protected under the law to wear such clothing. Wearing such clothing, many a time through a sexist tradition, originating for medieval cultures, such clothing should never be accepted in any liberal society.

Why was the niqab, the burqa and the like invented it was to conform women to a standard of how they should or shouldn't act, while men were allowed to do as they wish, and wear what they wish.

Women wear this, as they will be looked down by family if they do not, if there is a law against this, women can be more free, and be more included in western society.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 12:51:35 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2016, 01:30:43 AM by Intell »

What if that is there identity? What do you think of white girls who dress in full body black dresses from the 19th century?

I think we should be protecting individual's right to think and feel as they like and not telling them what they must.

If they are being forced into this sort of thing, of course they should be saved from it. Wearing niqab is kind of like being a sex worker in a way. If that's who you are, super! There's a big problem if there is someone else making you do it.

Iof course there are issues of family pressuring you to do things but we all have to make sacrifices with loved ones.

You cannot do anything, unless you ban the clothing, as any other measure, is an admission of the state, that wearing such clothing is acceptable in liberal society, allowing there to be pressure among family that a woman should wear such a clothing

An individuals right to think, an individual has the right to think as he or she wishes banning the burqa or the niqab does nothing to infringe such wishes. Of course a state can tell you, or a society, that such thoughts and feelings are unacceptable, such as racial supremacy, eugenics, and a woman's place is to be a housewife to a man, or do as the man wishes, the niqab promoted and allows such attitudes to exist.

If the niqab is their identity, than I'm sorry the person has no identity, same if a males identity is his religious clothing, the man has no identity, banning the burqa or niqab would allow for a woman to have such freedom to have her own identity outside of an obvious sexist clothing.

I don't know what full body black clothing is, but nothing really can be more sexis , and contrary to liberal values than a niqab or burqa.

Prositution, is the exploitation of people, specifically women for a capitalist, profit motive, which is inherently immoral. The purchase of prostitution should be banned to protect women, sex workers and women that suffer because men cheat on them through prostitution.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:53:55 AM »

I'm generally not a fan of banning random articles of clothing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »

No, it's an infringement of religious freedom.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 03:37:05 AM »

It is complicated, why people chose to wear these things. Often it's converts, reverts and people raised as relatively liberal Muslims - indeed anecdotes about families freaking out over their daughters deciding to wear niqabs are just as common as the opposite story. (Elder Muslims quite wisely despise Saudi Salafism and its creepy proponents)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »

of course not
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

This issue is a pretty stark difference of the alternate Zeitgeists in Europe and America.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »

i'd probably draw the line at a half-niqab or similar

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »

I don't regard the wearing of it as being a rational choice (particularly in the summer months). That said I probably also lean against banning it, though I'm more open to the idea cos' I'm a Brit (we like banning unpleasant things - fox hunting, public smoking, handguns etc etc).
mencken
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

I do not think a certain religious minority should be exempted from anti-mask laws.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

I do not think a certain religious minority should be exempted from anti-mask laws.
this is true too.  You get a govt ID, your face has to be on it.  If you're on private property and the owners wish you to show your face, you should have to show your face or leave.  If the authorities have a legit reason to want to see your face, you should have to show your face.  I'm sorry if your culture disagrees, but facial recognition is how humans have recognized each other since before we were humans.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »

Don't ban the clothing, ban the people.

Ladies and gentleman, the Trump voter!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length