SB 2016-050 - Come Out Of The Shadows Act (Back to House)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-050 - Come Out Of The Shadows Act (Back to House)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SB 2016-050 - Come Out Of The Shadows Act (Back to House)  (Read 2869 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

I'm still not really sure, but I'll propose this amendment to keep thing moving along.

Section 5: Addressing Root Causes of Illegal Immigration
1. Countries that account for at least 5% of unauthorized migration at the time of introduction of this bill to Atlasia shall be designated as priority recipients for foreign development assistance for the years of 2017-2021, with their status to be reevaluated by the Secretary of State after that time.
2. An additional 100,000 visas shall be created annually for immigrants from the above countries.
3. A "highest bidder" system will be set up so that whichever employer is willing to pay more for each individual visa will be given them. 50,000 will be given for "high-skilled" workers, and the other 50,000 for lower-skilled workers. This will bring in over $1 billion in new revenue.
4. At the discretion of the Secretary of the Interior, the above visas may be reduced by 10% for each 1% that quarterly GDP growth is below 3%.
4.5. Individuals awarded the above "high-skilled" work visas will be admitted to Atlasia as conditional residents and may petition for permanent resident status after their 3-year visa is up.  Likewise, for "low-skilled" workers, they may apply for permanent resident status after their 1-year visa is up.
5.6. An employer is allowed to refuse to renew an employee's work visa (if they do refuse, the employee must be notified at least 6 months before the visa expires), at which point, the employee (and their family) is able to apply for permanent resident status.

That looks much better
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

What about unemployment rates rather than GDP growth? That seems like it would be more directly related to the numbers of visas that should be issued.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »

What about unemployment rates rather than GDP growth? That seems like it would be more directly related to the numbers of visas that should be issued.

Yeah, I think unemployment rates makes more sense since it shows how many jobs need to be filled. That's more related since, of course, the reason we're giving out these visas is to fill jobs. If we have a strong economy, it can be since more jobs are occupied, and we need less workers, but we'd still have a high GDP.

Then again, GDP will show whether we can afford to have more people living in our country. I'm still inclined to agree with PiT
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:44 AM »

I agree with PiT, the employment numbers should be used instead since that is the whole point in having it pegged to begin with is concerns about troubled fields to sustain such increases.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 04:32:42 AM »

Maria Cantwell just got done speaking about the need to cooperate with foreign countries to encourage the implementation of "biometric standards" to reduce the thread of people hoping several countries and creating fake ideas and identities before coming to America. That is something I am going to try and encourage as well.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »

Alright, unemployment sounds good.  If someone has an amendment, they can propose it and I'll probably deem it friendly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »

Taking Siren's amendment as a basis, how about:

I'm still not really sure, but I'll propose this amendment to keep thing moving along.

Section 5: Addressing Root Causes of Illegal Immigration
1. Countries that account for at least 5% of unauthorized migration at the time of introduction of this bill to Atlasia shall be designated as priority recipients for foreign development assistance for the years of 2017-2021, with their status to be reevaluated by the Secretary of State after that time.
2. An additional 100,000 visas shall be created annually for immigrants from the above countries.
3. A "highest bidder" system will be set up so that whichever employer is willing to pay more for each individual visa will be given them. 50,000 will be given for "high-skilled" workers, and the other 50,000 for lower-skilled workers. This will bring in over $1 billion in new revenue.
4. At the discretion of the Secretary of the Interior, the above visas may be reduced by 10% for each 1% that quarterly GDP growth is below 3% the average yearly unemployment rate is above 5%.
4.5. Individuals awarded the above "high-skilled" work visas will be admitted to Atlasia as conditional residents and may petition for permanent resident status after their 3-year visa is up.  Likewise, for "low-skilled" workers, they may apply for permanent resident status after their 1-year visa is up.
5.6. An employer is allowed to refuse to renew an employee's work visa (if they do refuse, the employee must be notified at least 6 months before the visa expires), at which point, the employee (and their family) is able to apply for permanent resident status.

The 5% baseline is slightly aggressive, but I would think that it is not unreasonable.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:33 AM »

Sounds reasonable to me.  Amendment is friendly.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »

I'm happy with the bill as it stands, although I feel that there should be a clause in section 2 that allows people who've lived in the country for more than a certain time (maybe 20 years) to apply for a visa in the same way that people who've lived in the country since before their 18th birthday could.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

I'm sympathetic to everyone who's living here and wants to become a citizen.  That's why I wrote the bill after all, but I think it makes sense to have some consequences.  That's why the DREAM section exists so that the process is easier for people that were too young to really make any decisions on their own at the time of entry.  Personally, I'm not sure that it would be fair to treat long term undocumented people any differently than shorter term ones, as long as they were old enough to make adult decisions when they came.  So, I would prefer to keep the bill as is.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 04:52:45 AM »

Agreed with Siren. Any more concerns, or should we move forward with this?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

I'm happy to call a final vote on this, should no-one else have any objections.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:33 AM »

I am satisfied with the progress on this bill so far.

I look forward to the house ruining it, after all our hard work. Tongue
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »

I'm ready.  This is the bill with all our amendments for the record.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »

So are we going to have a vote soon? Smiley
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »

This. Although I don't know if Congress stops for a period during election time - which may be the hold up.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »

This. Although I don't know if Congress stops for a period during election time - which may be the hold up.

Not officially, but I'll use that as an excuse of why I've been slacking off a bit here. Tongue

I'll call for a final vote tomorrow if no one objects.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »

I know open a 48-hour final vote on this bill!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »

AYE
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »

I don't know when the change over occurs for the Northern Senate seats, but I'll vote Aye just in case it hasn't happened yet.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

I don't know when the change over occurs for the Northern Senate seats, but I'll vote Aye just in case it hasn't happened yet.

I am fairly certain it would March 03, 2017.

One of the decisions made in July was to provide for a uniform date in which they take office.

Though the date of the election is entirely up to the region.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »

Abstain
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »

One of the decisions made in July was to provide for a uniform date in which they take office.

Senator Scott told me that I should swear in immediately upon election, and I have. If that's not correct, then I apologize. If I am sworn in, I vote Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2017, 04:33:40 PM by President North Carolina Yankee »

Senator Scott told me that I should swear in immediately upon election, and I have. If that's not correct, then I apologize. If I am sworn in, I vote Aye

Okay, need to look into this.

Edit: This says those elected in "federal" elections, so Scott is probably right since the Regional Senators are elected and administered by the regions, unless there is another law somewhere I am missing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies