2000: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush (No 22nd Amendment)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush (No 22nd Amendment)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush (No 22nd Amendment)  (Read 1880 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »

President Bill Clinton asks Vice President Al Gore to rejoin him for a third term ticket. Clinton runs again for a third term in 2000 and fends off challengers Bill Bradley and Dick Gephardt. He runs against George W. Bush, easily winning the GOP nomination. Who wins?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2016, 12:13:33 AM by L.D. Smith »

Clinton/Gore: 50% pv
G.W. Bush/Ridge: 46% pv
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »

302: Bill Clinton/Mary Landrieu - 50.0%
236: George W. Bush/George Pataki - 45.2%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »

✓ President Bill Clinton (D-AR)/Vice President Al Gore (D-TN): 338 EVs.; 51.0%
Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)/Former Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney (R-WY): 200 EVs.; 46.3%
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »

I very much doubt Gore would stay on as VP. He and Hillary never got along to begin with they always competed with each other for influence in the decision making. It reached critical mass in 2000 when Hillary decided to go for the Senate which infuriated Gore. In this world I don't think she would so there wouldn't be that between them but it wouldn't nice between them. Gore would probably want to go back to Tennessee and either get elected to office again or wait until 2004.

I think Bill would win the nomination no problem he'd have some challenges though; Bill Bradley at least. Maybe Al Sharpton perhaps but Bill wins easily besides in the Northeast. For VP he'd go 3 different ways: 1. Get someone with Washington experience (ie Gephart,) 2. Go for someone very progressive (ie Dean,) or 3. Stay in the south and pick Edwards.  I'll go with Gephart for this officially.

Bush would pick Cheney more than likely which helps the base. Race for the summer would be a lead for Bill but not a landslide either. Debates go for Clinton but Bush holds his own but he just can't top Bill's Charisma. Bush's main attack point would be morality issues and it helps especially in the south but Bill campaigns on his record and what he wants to do with the deficit and foreign policy.  The race is relatively close until Bush's DUI arrest comes out. This both hurts him with the religious right and the moderates. The DUI shows his wild side and makes him look like a hypocrite as he lied about it/refused to admit it and spent the whole time attacking Clinton. Clinton's campaign then goes on the attack late with statements and ad's which prove to hurt Dubya and he can't rebound from it.

In the end Clinton wins by a comfortable margin but Bush does better than his dad or Dole did. Nader takes the hard left away but doesn't win the youths as much as he did.  Bush goes home to Texas defeated while Clinton gets another term. He feels a little better as the Democrats win the Senate and make gains in the house. But most importantly he gets a solid win on his own terms without the rat Perot interfering and a solid EV win with close to 350.

Clinton/Gephart-348
Bush/Cheney-190
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:36:55 PM »

Clinton would've won. He was still very popular after 8 yrs., the economy was booming, & there were no external threats on the horizon. Plus, I'm quite sure he would've run again if he could. How he would've dealt w/ the dot-com bubble & 9/11 are up for debate, but I think he would've done a pretty credible job.

Bill Clinton/Al Gore (D): 309 EV, 49.3%
George W. Bush/Dick Cheney (R): 229 EV, 48.3%
Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (G): 0 EV, 2.1%
Pat Buchanan/Ezola Foster (Reform): 0 EV, 0.3%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies