The collapsing economic consensus on free trade (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:59:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  The collapsing economic consensus on free trade (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The collapsing economic consensus on free trade  (Read 4045 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« on: December 23, 2016, 02:38:16 AM »

Climate change and the shape of the earth are science. Economics is not.
Economics is not science? Lol in what world is this true?

There is a clear distinction between the hard sciences (physics, chemistry, etc.) and social sciences (economics, political "science"). Those in the latter camp seem to be more anxious about their status as a "science" then those in the former. I wonder why.
You will need to back this up. I don't think economists care about their status as a "science". Economists know their worth and can be just as influential as Chemists, or physicists. In fact, economists are far more memorable than the former.

Now you are talking about some type of psychological self-awareness session which is unrelated to the discussion

Economics is not a science in the true sense of the word.

Science is the “study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation.”

Basically, science progresses by being able to run an experiment to produce the same result. The same result in Brazil. The same result in Norway. The same result in Australia.

With economics, there are perhaps areas of microeconomics that may fall into this category, but with macroeconomics, government policy changes and you approach political science.

I dont doubt that a highly educated scientific mind could produce valuable theories in economics.

But economics is not a hard science. It's results are not repeatable or predictable as is the case with science and engineering.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies