Minnesota 2020 = Arizona 1996?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Minnesota 2020 = Arizona 1996?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota 2020 = Arizona 1996?  (Read 1265 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2016, 01:28:14 PM by MT Treasurer »

I see some interesting parallels here. Of course it depends on who the Ds nominate and how Trump's approvals are, but in 2020, Minnesota will have voted Democratic for president for 44 years (since 1976). In 1996, Arizona had voted Republican since 1952 (also for 44 years), until Clinton narrowly won it in the same year because of Perot, Dole's weaknesses among seniors and Hispanics and the attack ads against him in the GOP primary there.

Could we see Minnesota finally ending its Democratic winning streak in presidential elections in 2020? IIRC, this year was also the first time in history the state was more R than the nation as a whole.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »

I'm not sure we should be looking to how many years it's been since a state went Democratic/Republican to determine its fate. For Trump to win Minnesota, he'd have to hold down the gains he made among rural voters in the state, while also doing better among urban/suburban voters. Sure, that could happen, but I think it's more likely that only one of those two things will happen. Either way, if he wins Minnesota in 2020, it'll be because he's popular, not because of some sort of internal electoral clock.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »

I think Minnesota and Arizona will have almost exactly the same margin in 2020, with Arizona getting more Democratic and Minnesota getting slightly more Republican.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »

I don't think so, as long as Trump loses the popular vote.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 12:09:37 AM »

Just remembered: Going into 1996, Arizona had he longest R voting streak (1964 wiped out all other states, except in the LA-MS-AL-GA-SC chain where they all never voted for Ike), and 1984 took care of all states except Minnesota, which still has the longest D streak.
JJC

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 01:14:16 AM »

I think Minnesota and Arizona will have almost exactly the same margin in 2020, with Arizona getting more Democratic and Minnesota getting slightly more Republican.

It's destined to happen. In fact, I believe that in the long term the entire geopolitical map will flip, with the northeast going to the GOP and the south going to the Dems.

And I entirely blame the left's identity politics for this.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

I don't think the left is going with the Booker/Harris coalition in 2020. The Bernie/Warren voters are younger and I could see a hard swing back leftwards in the Midwest with Warren or Brown as nominee. The elitist wing of the Democratic Party isn't terribly large. If you take the Bernie voters from 2016 and add more minorities, it's a clear win for the left.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

I don't think the left is going with the Booker/Harris coalition in 2020. The Bernie/Warren voters are younger and I could see a hard swing back leftwards in the Midwest with Warren or Brown as nominee. The elitist wing of the Democratic Party isn't terribly large. If you take the Bernie voters from 2016 and add more minorities, it's a clear win for the left.

The idea that there is this huge base of far left people in the rural Midwest who didn't vote is a fallacy. Unless Trump is very unpopular (which is very possible of course) I think it's more likely that a far left candidate just repels the gains Hillary made in places like the Milwaukee suburbs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies