HB 2016-1065 - Amendment to Art. 1, Sect. 4, of the Atlasian Constit. (2SENATE) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1065 - Amendment to Art. 1, Sect. 4, of the Atlasian Constit. (2SENATE) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 2016-1065 - Amendment to Art. 1, Sect. 4, of the Atlasian Constit. (2SENATE)  (Read 2670 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: December 22, 2016, 09:21:18 PM »

I am, of course, generally in favor of Virginia's proposed changes to Section 4. I do, however, feel that clauses 3 and 4 ought to be more specific so as to avoid any ambiguity - goodness knows we have enough of that already.

I would recommend the proposal be amended to read as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If a member of the House would be so kind as to sponsor this amendment on my behalf, I would greatly appreciate it.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

Bump?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Virginia. For the record, you have every right to participate in Congressional debates if you so choose; in years past, it was something of a taboo for non-congresspersons to post on the AFG board, but those days are thankfully over.

I see what you're getting at, but I'm wary of wading too deep into the weeds of bureaucratic regulations with a Constitutional amendment, and I'm not sure how to be more direct without creating structural insufficiencies that would need to be addressed for further amendments. Perhaps the best way to go about it would be to strike the term "activity" entirely and replace it with "frequency of posting."

The first sentence clearly states that a citizen's right to vote may be rescinded "as punishment for crimes of which the accused has been duly convicted," thus granting the courts power to restrict voting rights in accordance with federal law (as such a penalty would necessarily be imposed by the judiciary). If you mean that the court would be unable to restrict the voting rights of citizens who have not been convicted of a crime, then yes, you are correct; generally speaking, I think it bad policy to allow an unelected institution to rescind constitutional rights willy nilly.

This, at least, can be easily addressed by adding a clause defining all posts made in the Voting Booth as ballots and invalidating the vote of any citizen who posts multiple ballots in the Voting Booth.

Upon reading through the amendment a second time, it strikes me that it would also be advisable to add a clause to the second sentence stating "or having been edited more than twenty minutes after its posting in the voting booth."
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »

If I may, I would like to amend my amendment per the conversation above:

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »

>cough<
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »

Senators?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

Leinad may not have a free slot.

Can I declare this an emergency situation to give Leinad the ability to use emergency slots?
I believe so, yes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies