In Portugal, CDS-PP youth wing wants sexual abstinence to be teached at school.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:27:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  In Portugal, CDS-PP youth wing wants sexual abstinence to be teached at school.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Portugal, CDS-PP youth wing wants sexual abstinence to be teached at school.  (Read 418 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »

http://ionline.sapo.pt/artigo/539361/juventude-do-cds-quer-educacao-para-a-abstin-ncia-sexual-nas-escolas?seccao=Portugal_i

http://observador.pt/2016/12/21/jp-defende-que-abstinencia-sexual-deve-ser-abordada-na-educacao-para-a-saude-js-ataca-proposta-ridicula/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So weird!

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:12 PM »

...okay? Would this be abstinence-only or just adding abstinence to a list of other options? Your translation makes it sound like the latter, which doesn't strike me as weird at all, especially in a curriculum where people learn how to use a condom at ten.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »

...okay? Would this be abstinence-only or just adding abstinence to a list of other options? Your translation makes it sound like the latter, which doesn't strike me as weird at all, especially in a curriculum where people learn how to use a condom at ten.
Yes. Sorry, should had quoted more parts of the news. What the CDS youth is proposing is for this to be included in the new sex education curriculum because of the condom stuff but, also, in part because of the proposed discussion of abortion in the 5th grade.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 02:06:31 AM »

Because abstinence isn't a contraception method?

Is not driving a car safety feature?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:37:50 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2016, 02:45:23 AM by Winds for the spices and stars for the gold »

Where I come from, sex ed classes teach many things that don't fall under the category "contraception method," such as the right to say no to unwanted sexual advances, the physical changes of puberty, and symptoms and treatments for common STDs. The fact that not having sex is an option for the most prudent and/or morally conservative among us seems like a fairly natural outgrowth of the first of these things, does it not?

I agree with not wanting to teach abstinence as the only possibility, and understand not wanting to moralize by teaching it as the most desirable possibility. But why the hell would anybody object to teaching it as a possibility, unless they were just trying to unthinkingly rack up culture war points at all costs? What exactly are people afraid of? Is the concern that Albert Mohler has put a Taboo from Harry Potter on the word "abstinence," such that if you say it in a health class he'll materialize in Portugal and whisk you away to a Baptist summer camp in 2004?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »

Where I come from, sex ed classes teach many things that don't fall under the category "contraception method," such as the right to say no to unwanted sexual advances, the physical changes of puberty, and symptoms and treatments for common STDs. The fact that not having sex is an option for the most prudent and/or morally conservative among us seems like a fairly natural outgrowth of the first of these things, does it not?

I agree with not wanting to teach abstinence as the only possibility, and understand not wanting to moralize by teaching it as the most desirable possibility. But why the hell would anybody object to teaching it as a possibility, unless they were just trying to unthinkingly rack up culture war points at all costs? What exactly are people afraid of? Is the concern that Albert Mohler has put a Taboo from Harry Potter on the word "abstinence," such that if you say it in a health class he'll materialize in Portugal and whisk you away to a Baptist summer camp in 2004?

Well, in my sex ed course, years ago, they asked us to name contraception methods, I named abstinence and the nurse explodedm saying it's not valid since, in the heat of the moment, things happen anyways and is inefficient unless you have iron will, which is usually not the case of teenagers.

Then, that nurse said later than everyone tries having sex with both genders and then choose afterwards, so, I wouldn't trust her judgement 100%.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 04:16:44 AM »

Well, in my sex ed course, years ago, they asked us to name contraception methods, I named abstinence and the nurse explodedm saying it's not valid since, in the heat of the moment, things happen anyways and is inefficient unless you have iron will, which is usually not the case of teenagers.

I've heard that from a lot of people. I haven't found that to be the case in my social group but my social group was probably unrepresentative in various ways even before I got religion.

I should also note that if this were universally true then it would be very difficult to expect anyone to not cheat on their spouse. And yet somewhere between half and three-quarters of all married people never do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lol, comedy gold.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »

I'm with Nathan (and I would imagine most people), abstinence ONLY is bad, but abstinence should be mentioned in the sex ed class.  It is kind of obvious though, I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies