Which defeat was tougher to take: Al Gore in 2000 or Hillary Clinton in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which defeat was tougher to take: Al Gore in 2000 or Hillary Clinton in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: More bitter/tougher defeat?
Al Gore

Hillary Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 122

Author Topic: Which defeat was tougher to take: Al Gore in 2000 or Hillary Clinton in 2016  (Read 4872 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »

Clinton, by light-years.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

Gore would've been a much better President than Clinton.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »

For me, neither.  I was only seven when Bush won in 2000, but was pulling for him all the way.  Although I couldn't stand Trump, I didn't like Hillary much more either.

As for Democrats, it depends.  ElectionsGuy makes a good point that the election was decided by only a few hundred votes in one state (although Gore would've won if he'd carried even one additional state).  However, Hillary Clinton's popular vote margin was wider than Gore's (in fact, it was the largest popular vote victory for a losing candidate), and she lost to an opponent whom Dems feared more than Bush in 2000.  I would imagine the lost opportunity to make her the first female president made it tougher for her supporters, too.
elcorazon

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »

Clinton, because as much as I opposed Bush and felt he would be a horrible President, he actually wanted to do a good job. I just disagreed with his politics. He was likely to and did hire qualified people for his administration, for the most part. Trump is a threat to our democracy. He is shutting down a free press (predictably), appointing unqualified idealogs and making a mockery of the typical ethics of the economic entanglements of a President.
Add to that the fact that Clinton won a clear popular victory, and the fact that there is a huge segment of the country that seems to have no idea what facts are anymore and this election leaves me much more pessimistic and angry than 2000. I should add that I was very upset, mostly with the Supreme Court and their partisan response to the issue. I used to have some faith in that institution which was severely impacted by that decision. That said, it's certainly not   clear Gore would've won any recount so it's not as if there was a Gore victory snatched away by that decision - it was just that they ended any chance we could avoid a President Bush.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »

I took both okay, but I was happier in 2000. Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »

Definitely Hillary's loss last year is much harder to bear given her opponent.  George W. Bush -for all his faults -was never going to be a demagogic dictator-in-waiting. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »

Definitely Hillary's loss last year is much harder to bear given her opponent.  George W. Bush -for all his faults -was never going to be a demagogic dictator-in-waiting. 

Only 'cuz Cheney took that mantle.

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

2016 by far. From her perspective, you are an experienced politician who feels entitled to the presidency and has being defeated by a clown who you thought you would defeat easily. Plus, you would have the entire media behind you plus many key republican figures refusing to endorse Trump, when usually they would endorse the republican candidate.
Cokeland Chastain
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »

I was only 11 months old when Bush lost the PV to Gore, so no opinion here.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »

For the candidate: Gore
For the supporters: Clinton
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »

Of course Clinton. Unlike in 2000, this election was presented in absolutely apocalyptic tones (and a lot of it for good reason). So naturally for Clinton supporters, Trump's win = apocalypse.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »

Clinton by light years. She was up against a threat to democracy. If Al gore had won we might not of had some of the same problems,who knows.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »

My reaction in 2000 shock and disgust, while in 2016 I thought the result was hilarious. As for the Democrats I would say 2016, as they have beckoned completely derangered over their loss to Trump. Through I suspect it is because the Internet is better developed today.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 06:07:37 PM by MB »

Al Gore, easily – given that he rightfully won BOTH the PV and EC. There was no dispute over whether Clinton won the EC.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »

Anyway, the answer is Gore, just because of Iraq.

@TekkenGuy: The opposite seems true now, since Gore was already shifting to climate change as his goal while the PV edge was a point of contention until John Kerry convincingly lost that and barely Ohio.

Meanwhile Hillary "I won in dynamic places" Clinton is still trying to move on, but her support is rightfully pleased with the primaries so far.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »

Clinton's because of the SCRT pick was Obama's not Mitch McConnell's.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 12:50:35 AM »

I was 7 in 2000, and while I voted Gore in my 2nd grade class Mock election and my Parents were pissed about the Supreme Court ruling, I didn't really feel much of anything once Bush was declared the winner because I obviously wasn't political at that time. 2016 on the other hand, I had a ton of emotions that night, anger, sadness, and I was also reassuring myself that things would get better in 2020.

With that said, I still wish to this day that Gore had won. I still question whether Bush won that election legitimately, as he clearly had more conflicts of interest regarding Florida (Jeb being Governor, the Supreme Court, etc...) than Trump had regarding Russia, and I think preventing George W. Bush prevents Trump, as you could argue the Bush years (and the Obama years) inadvertently paved the way for Trump.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »

Hiliary Clinton. Trump is just the pits
Ohioguy29

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 03:21:41 PM »

Hillary. We didn't realize how bad Bush was gonna be at first, while with Trump I totally thought he was gonna be America's Hitler. I was also quite young in 2000 so I didn't actually care much about the election, I'm more sharing my parents' perspective on that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »

Both elections were bad, and the justices knew that Rehnqust and Kennedy were gonna retire. But, 2016 was so much harder, due to the theft of the SCOTUS seat
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 09:32:34 PM »

Hillary in 2016. There was an expectation that Trump would undoubtedly lose the election. But at some point in the night, it started to fall apart. Florida called for Trump. North Carolina called for Trump. What? Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota were too close to call. Michigan called for Trump. Pennsylvania called for Trump. Hillary lost. She lost. It almost felt surreal for weeks after the election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies