Reports of Jewish family forced to flee their homes after Breitbart article
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reports of Jewish family forced to flee their homes after Breitbart article
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reports of Jewish family forced to flee their homes after Breitbart article  (Read 1667 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »

Yesterday forum member Life of Castro started a thread based on reports that a Jewish family had fled their home after the publication of a 'war on Christmas' type story in Fox and Breitbart. The story was that a school had cancelled its Christmas play after complaints from a couple of children's parents. The children were not identified in the story, neither were either sets of parents,nor was anyone identified as Jewish. No suggestion was made that either set of parents had been doxxed. The claim was that an anonymous comment under the Breitbart story had suggested that they should be doxxed and after reading that the family decided they weren't taking any chances and fled their home.

Life of Castro asked rhetorically what was becoming of the US and the answer was swifly made that it was a sign of early Nazism and that Breitbart should have to pay. When I suggested that the story sounded rather like a hoax I was heavily criticised. Then I noticed in the morning that the thread had gone. The moderators confirmed they hadn't removed it. Then I saw reports this morning that the ADL (not famous for covering up or downplaying accusations of antisemitism) had confirmed that the story was indeed fake news and that the family had in fact gone on holiday.

Fake news indeed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »

Steve Bannon probably had Mr.  Leips remove the thread.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »

Is this thread really necessary here?

Kinda off-topic.

Breitbart is still trash.
EnglishPete

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:39 AM »

Kinda off-topic.

Thread about Jewish family forced to flee home because of Breitbart. Response "The Nazis are coming, shut down Breitbart!"

Thread about this being another liberal media fake news story used to attack Breitbart and Trump. Response "do we have to talk about this?"

LOL
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »

Kinda off-topic.

After yesterday's sh**t show on the old thread, this thread is definitely needed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »

Remember kids, if the racism or terrorism looks like it comes from white people or conservatives then it must be true, RUN WITH THE STORY.  If it's not, then we MUST wait for the facts to come out before we avoid coming to any conclusions at all.

(here comes the whataboutism!)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 09:20:16 AM »

Yesterday forum member Life of Castro started a thread based on reports that a Jewish family had fled their home after the publication of a 'war on Christmas' type story in Fox and Breitbart. The story was that a school had cancelled its Christmas play after complaints from a couple of children's parents. The children were not identified in the story, neither were either sets of parents,nor was anyone identified as Jewish. No suggestion was made that either set of parents had been doxxed. The claim was that an anonymous comment under the Breitbart story had suggested that they should be doxxed and after reading that the family decided they weren't taking any chances and fled their home.

Life of Castro asked rhetorically what was becoming of the US and the answer was swifly made that it was a sign of early Nazism and that Breitbart should have to pay. When I suggested that the story sounded rather like a hoax I was heavily criticised. Then I noticed in the morning that the thread had gone. The moderators confirmed they hadn't removed it. Then I saw reports this morning that the ADL (not famous for covering up or downplaying accusations of antisemitism) had confirmed that the story was indeed fake news and that the family had in fact gone on holiday.

Fake news indeed.

Doesn't make you any less of a sh!thead for implying Jewish people have no reason to be concerned about anti-Semitism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 09:33:39 AM »

Indeed, Jews take more sh**t than any religious group in the US.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »

Kinda off-topic.

This has happened at least five times in the last month. Of course it's necessary when there is an epidemic of lies to demonize the other side. Similarly, in NY, a public servant did it about BLM burning down his home. Both sides need to quit it, but it's happening far more on the left amazingly with their rogue activists gone delusional.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »

Hahahahaha, I said the same. It was painfully fake.

Kinda off-topic.

I don't like it, therefore it must not be heard!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »

Speaking as a Jew, I would say that Muslims have it far worse.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:33 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 12:48:28 PM by Malcolm X »

Because that's obviously what I said in my post Roll Eyes  Shockingly enough, it's actually possible for multiple minority groups in a country to face discrimination and have reason to be fearful of bigotry directed against them at the same time.  

Of course, you have things like Cruz winning the Iowa Caucus in part due to his blatant Jew-baiting, Trump's campaign actively using anti-Semitic dog whistles (sometimes being almost embarassingly obvious about it), Steve Bannon – an anti-Semitic, racist fire-breather with close ties to the so-called alt-right (i.e. Nazis, white supremacists, etc who've tried to "re-brand" themselves; it's not too different from when some internet-troll misogynists started calling themselves "men's rights activists"), Anti-Semitism is very much on the rise in Europe (of course, they've always had major problems with that), and the Anti-Semitic elements of the American right are steadily gaining power in the Republican Party.  On top of that, you have the DNC quite possibly being on the verge of selecting a soft-Anti-Semite as chairman.  

That said, let's remove politics from the equation for a moment.  The South has a pretty long history of Anti-Semitism as do a number of other parts of the country, but I'm not from the South; I'm from the Midwest.  I'll speak from my own experience growing up in a fairly affluent suburb of Columbus.  I encountered quite a bit of anti-Semitism starting around middle school (I went to a public school for middle school).  I distinctly remember one girl in my seventh grade math class telling me that my parents should've been "gassed by Hitler."  One kid – who in fairness, was a complete idiot and came from a rough home situation, IIRC his Dad was in jail for selling cocaine and he was living with his grandmother as a result – once got caught rummaging through my locker b/c (I sh!t you not) he was convinced that all Jews carry money with them everywhere and that I'd hidden mine in my locker because...well...to this day, I'm not really sure what his thought process was there.  

I also (as I mentioned on the forum once a while back) got in a fight (well...not much of a fight since he went down pretty quick Tongue ) with a kid because he wouldn't stop calling me a "kike" for like a week.  One kid whose locker was next to mine until the school moved him (or maybe he got expelled, I forget; either way I never saw him again after I told the Principal about what he said) – and was pretty big for his age even accounting for the fact he'd been held back a year – threatened to stab me to death for being "a Christ-killer" (I got called that quite often in middle school).  Incidentally, someone had already tried to stab me in the neck with a pair of scissors in elementary school, but that kid had mental problems and I'm pretty sure the incident was unrelated to my religious beliefs Tongue  

In high school (my parents moved me to a private school, thank God), I encountered quite a bit of soft anti-Semitism and every once in a while some idiot would use a term like "the Jewish race," "you people," etc when talking to me, but even that kinda stopped after my freshman year of high school.  In college, I'd sometimes hear people express views that may've been tinged with anti-Semitism, but that wasn't too common.  Honestly, the only think that happened often in college – which was really just mildly annoying since the people who did it probably didn't know any better – was that people would sometimes ask after learning I was Jewish "Do you speak Jewish?"  

Anyway, it is quite possible – maybe even probable – that my encounters with anti-Semitism in middle school were unusual in both their frequency and intensity for a Jewish-American attending a midwestern public school.  Even if that is the case, however, hopefully you can at least understand why those experiences would 1) lead me to have a pretty strong reaction to things like the alleged incident (which thankfully turned out not to have actually occurred this time), 2) have quite a bit of contempt for people like EnglishPete who blithely dismiss Jewish fears about anti-Semitism in the U.S. as essentially a bunch of whining, and 3) tend to feel pretty damn uneasy when anti-Semites like Steve Bannon are put in positions of real power in my country.  

I highly doubt Jews would be first on the chopping block if things took a turn in that direction (not that I think they will), but as someone who encountered quite a bit of anti-Semitism growing up, I do tend to worry that there is quite a bit of hard anti-Semitism floating around just beneath the surface because that was my experience growing up.  Maybe if I went to another school for middle school, I'd feel differently, but the way we perceive the world is often heavily shaped by our own experiences.  Mine was that there are some pretty anti-Semitic folks floating around and that some of them may well have simply learned that it's not socially acceptable to be blatantly anti-Semitic.  But what happens if Bannon, Trump, etc create an environment where such people feel it is socially acceptable?  That's what worries me.

Obviously, but again it's not like both groups can't face discrimination at the same time.  I'm really not sure how Dead0man's post had anything to do with what anyone else had been saying, tbh.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

The War on Breitbart has gone too far!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »

52% of religion based hate crime is done against Jews (22% against Muslims) cite

Because that's obviously what I said in my post Roll Eyes  Shockingly enough, it's actually possible for multiple minority groups in a country to face discrimination and have reason to be fearful of bigotry directed against them at the same time.
Indeed, and I never suggested otherwise.  I'm pretty sure I didn't say "only Jews face discrimination"...let me check...nope.
EnglishPete

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 02:03:02 PM »

Fake news indeed.

Doesn't make you any less of a sh!thead for implying Jewish people have no reason to be concerned about anti-Semitism.
If its true, as is claimed, that Trump's election has emboldened racists and antisemites to commit a wave of hate crime then where are these crimes and why aren't they being reported in the liberal media that would certainty like to publicise such cases? Why instead are the liberal media having to rely on case after case of pretty transparent hate crime hoaxes and invented hate crime fake news stories. Case after case has been shown to be fake. If hate really is on the rise, as you claim, then why are the liberal media unable to use real examples?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

the stupid part is, there are REAL cases to get upset about, but for some reason most of the ones we actually hear details about often seem to fall apart.  It's the same with cops shooting black dudes, the highest profile ones seem to be the ones most likely to end up being justifiable shootings.  High profile rape cases, again, same problem.  There are obviously REAL horrible rapes out there to make an example of, but no, we get mattress girl, Duke Lacrosse and UVA/Rolling Stone.  The vetting process in the left leaning media is garbage.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »

The reason for Jews taking sh** is because they are incredibly resourceful & successful. Why do someone with such a small population have such huge comparative success. From Entertainment to Science, look @ these folks. They are really intelligent top people. All Fed Chairs recently are Jews - They control Banking etc.

So it is natural to develop some anguish against a community with say 1-2-3% of the population but having large parts of power & having disproportionately high economic & political power. People look for excuses & faults for their own failures & thus Jews are a natural target. It is worse because Asians are possibly more educated & stay away from power circles comparatively while many Bankers, Lobbyists, Donors tend to be Jews.

Anyways @ Topic - Bannon is disgusting. This isn't surprising, What did people expect from Breitbart - Trump should grow some balls & do something, why doesn't Kushner speak to him?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »

The reason for Jews taking sh** is because they are incredibly resourceful & successful. Why do someone with such a small population have such huge comparative success. From Entertainment to Science, look @ these folks. They are really intelligent top people. All Fed Chairs recently are Jews - They control Banking etc.

So it is natural to develop some anguish against a community with say 1-2-3% of the population but having large parts of power & having disproportionately high economic & political power. People look for excuses & faults for their own failures & thus Jews are a natural target. It is worse because Asians are possibly more educated & stay away from power circles comparatively while many Bankers, Lobbyists, Donors tend to be Jews.

Anyways @ Topic - Bannon is disgusting. This isn't surprising, What did people expect from Breitbart - Trump should grow some balls & do something, why doesn't Kushner speak to him?
This has got to be, ironically, one of the most anti-Semitic posts I've ever read.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »

That's a big part of it, but the root of anti Semitism is that they have this religion which says they are chosen and isn't very open to outsiders. Anyway, Jewish power is on the wane. Most American Jews are either liberals or neocons, and both groups are losers this year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »

subtle
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »

But no, Obama and the Bernie bros are the real antisemites because they don't bow to Israel.

Antisemitism in the United States, and around the world, is solely a disease of the right and of Islamic extremists.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:25 PM »

52% of religion based hate crime is done against Jews (22% against Muslims) cite

I'm surprised by that; even considering the fact that there are more Jews than Muslims in the US, that statistic implies that Jews have it slightly worse in terms of hate crimes. That said, I've thankfully never encountered any real antisemitism in the US; it does exist though.
EnglishPete

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »

the stupid part is, there are REAL cases to get upset about, but for some reason most of the ones we actually hear details about often seem to fall apart.  It's the same with cops shooting black dudes, the highest profile ones seem to be the ones most likely to end up being justifiable shootings.  High profile rape cases, again, same problem.  There are obviously REAL horrible rapes out there to make an example of, but no, we get mattress girl, Duke Lacrosse and UVA/Rolling Stone.  The vetting process in the left leaning media is garbage.
Partly its due to journalistic lazyness. Real victims of rape, for example, might be difficult to get hold of and reluctant to discuss their experiences. But never fear because there is a percentage of people who are willing to make up the most outrageous lies to portray themselves as victims and get attention and sympathy for doing it. Some people behave like that in their personal lives and some, following the media like other people, realise that if they tell exactly the story that journaslists and their editors want to hear they can do this on a national scale. They will want to get a story that gives them maximum attention and sympathy and minimum scrutiny. That means tailoring their story to whatever the outrage of the day issue is. If its campus rapes then they'll see if they can think up a campus rape story.If hate crimes are the issue, as they have been for some years, then those stories will be created, especially right now when journos are especially keen for such stories. Many of the journalists will either be complicit or at least suspect the truth but they will have no career or financial motive for uncovering it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

I'm surprised by that; even considering the fact that there are more Jews than Muslims in the US, that statistic implies that Jews have it slightly worse in terms of hate crimes. That said, I've thankfully never encountered any real antisemitism in the US; it does exist though.

Those statistics are probably originally from the ADL, who keep track of every single microagression against Jews, while ignoring racism/Islamaphobia/other forms of ethnic/religious hatred. Your average Muslim has it far worse than your average Jew in this country, especially lately.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 05:13:27 PM by Shadows »

This has got to be, ironically, one of the most anti-Semitic posts I've ever read.

How is that anti-semitic? This is absurdity, you have lost your mind

I flat out commented that Jews as a % of population having incredible success due to their own resourcefulness & talent or drive is 1 reason for this hatred. If you go to the disgusting Conspiracy theory places like Breitbart or Alex Jones or David Duke who helped elect the Racist Trump - You will see them railing against Jewish power, how a small group controls the banks, All Fed Chairs are Jews, how they are huge donors or even Hollywood has big Jew guys blah blah.

I have actually seen a few interviews of that goof David Duke - Any sane guy could see this guy was insanely jealous shouting Jews take Ivy League seats of White Christians, Jewish donors, Jewish bankers blah blah blah. The hatred towards Jews may be motivated by ultra conservative religion, but there is also a hatred by some people for an immensely successful group of people. Some people are miserable in their life & need a "scapegoat".

Don't make such ridiculous statements about people.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies