U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:22:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains  (Read 10931 times)
FDRfan1985
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 03:15:58 AM »

I support any resolution that hurts Israel. US needs to cut ties and  quit wasting so money on the warmongering nation that could be used to help America's poor.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 03:17:02 AM »

Shame to see so many people supporting a racist ideology against Palestinian and Arab people, so deplorable. One day the world will see the Israel settlement for what is, colonialism, and apartheid against people of a different race.

Sigh....here we go again! The Palestinians have been using terror and destruction to attempt to strike fear into Israelis for years.  They have no interest in peace at all.  Indeed, in the 90s, Israel and Palestine were closer to peace than ever before....but a Palestinian assassin had to ruin it by killing Yitzak Rabin, the prime minister of Israel.  The Palestinians hate the Jewish people...but they aren't the racists, people like me are.  Unbelievable....SMH.  Sad

He was killed by an extremist Jew, but why get facts get in the way of rhetoric...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2016, 03:31:01 AM »

Shame to see so many people supporting a racist ideology against Palestinian and Arab people, so deplorable. One day the world will see the Israel settlement for what is, colonialism, and apartheid against people of a different race.

Sigh....here we go again! The Palestinians have been using terror and destruction to attempt to strike fear into Israelis for years.  They have no interest in peace at all.  Indeed, in the 90s, Israel and Palestine were closer to peace than ever before....but a Palestinian assassin had to ruin it by killing Yitzak Rabin, the prime minister of Israel.  The Palestinians hate the Jewish people...but they aren't the racists, people like me are.  Unbelievable....SMH.  Sad

To be the third person to say this Yitzah Rabin was killed by a far right Jewish extremist, after weeks of rallies being held where pictures of Rabin were being held of showing him as an SS officer
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »

Ordinary villages in which people build houses and live with their families are reprehensible, just because it's Jews living there? Antisemitism 101, and one day the world will understand the insane freakout over SETTLEMENTS is just that.

Or not. It's not as if I care much, because we will keep building until Mashiach comes anyway.

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses').
If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2016, 06:17:08 AM »

This is the right decision.

The reckless settlement development by Israel his a hindrance for the peace talks. For sure, the violence by some Palestinians is a serious problem as well and has to condemned. But as long as the settlement development continues the way it has been persued the last years, a two-state solution is almost impossible. And a two-state solution is likely the only way to real peace. I'm afraid that the Trumpster's presidency is a setback for these efforts and practically lost time, because he doesn't understand the conflict and its complex issues.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »

Ordinary villages in which people build houses and live with their families are reprehensible, just because it's Jews living there? Antisemitism 101, and one day the world will understand the insane freakout over SETTLEMENTS is just that.

Or not. It's not as if I care much, because we will keep building until Mashiach comes anyway.

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses').
If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
The Israeli government would have to be changed to a Lebanese/Ulster style power sharing agreement. And not only that, but you might have to deal with Hamas becoming a normalised political party like Sinn Fein or whatever.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2016, 08:49:02 AM »

I am unimpressed it took him 8 years to do finally have the guts to abstain?
Not a perfect resolution, I would have wanted something harsher (and maybe a more direct order to boycott West Bank products). But I guess the declarative power of it is enough to be happy about for now
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses'). If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
Hold up. I'm not proposing the annexation of Judea and Samaria right now. We should just keep building there, and focus on draining the swamp and ending the power of the courts instead. And even in the event that we annex it they should obviously not get voting rights on Israeli affairs. That should make people like you much more comfortable Smiley

Actually, that will make me very uncomfortable. I'd hate to see my country cease to be a democracy.
Besides, what do you mean by draining the swamp? The Likud has been in power for years. The swamp is the Likud, the Likud is the swamp.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

A lot of hypocrisy here. Left-wingers who are pro-immigration complaining about Grand Replacement. Right-wingers who are anti-immigration buoyant about building a multi-cultural society in the West-bank of all places. Behind the legal and rational arguments lies only raw tribalism adopted from their various political camps. Befitting of the region.

We all know the legal shadiness of the settlements. Israel is punished enough by having to live in constant paranoia, which they have brought upon themselves. A massive security dilemma for a society with the far right dog whistlers in power to make you feel extra safe. I just hope Europe doesn't succumb to islamist terror the same way.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »

Besides, what do you mean by draining the swamp? The Likud has been in power for years. The swamp is the Likud, the Likud is the swamp.
The current Likud is definitely part of the swamp, yes, and that is absolutely a problem, even if it is a different type of problem. Just like the oligarchs whose oligopoly is protected by the state (read: the Likud), causing the costs of living to be extremely high, are part of the swamp. Those are problems that need to be tackled, no doubt about it. But it is impossible with the current Likud. The party has a lot of potential to improve, but only when Bibi leaves. I do not support the current Likud.

The first swamps to be drained, therefore, are the power of the courts, the cultural elite, and the enemies within who operate through their NGOs. But that can be solved.

Sorry, but that sounds awfully like a political purge, enroute to a dictatorship, like Erdogan's Turkey.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »

Just give it all to the Druze
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses'). If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
Hold up. I'm not proposing the annexation of Judea and Samaria right now. We should just keep building there, and focus on draining the swamp and ending the power of the courts instead. And even in the event that we annex it they should obviously not get voting rights on Israeli affairs. That should make people like you much more comfortable Smiley

Actually, that will make me very uncomfortable. I'd hate to see my country cease to be a democracy.
At least he's honest in wanting an apartheid system
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »

Yeah, that's not feasible at all. That would actually be an apartheid state.

Really, nothing is going to get resolved here until the Hashemite dictatorship in Jordan falls, and then the whole former British Mandate can discuss the issues (assuming the new government in Jordan/Palestine doesn't do anything stupid immediately).

The UN and the US attempting to preemptively force an Israeli surrender will only cause the right-wing there to knuckle down.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

I don't have any problem with the US acting and voting in their own interests, just as every single other nation does.  Israel will always be a great ally, that doesn't mean unflinching acceptance of every circumstance.  It's a nonbinding resolution from the feckless UN anyway.  Who care.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2016, 12:54:22 PM by DavidB. »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

I don't have any problem with the US acting and voting in their own interests, just as every single other nation does.
No smart person ever expects the U.S. (or any country, for that matter) to act altruistically. The point is that Obama's foreign policy of screwing over the U.S.' allies and aiding its enemies is not really in the country's interest at all.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »

I don't have any problem with the US acting and voting in their own interests, just as every single other nation does.  Israel will always be a great ally, that doesn't mean unflinching acceptance of every circumstance.  It's a nonbinding resolution from the feckless UN anyway.  Who care.

Except that this vote was directly against the US' interests and the UN's interests. It was a pure spite vote cast by a lame duck attempting to screw over his enemies before he goes.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an appartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's appartheid.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »

So the question now becomes, how should Israel respond to this latest international assault.

- Recalling the ambassadors from New Zealand and Senegal is a good start. There should also be some dialing back of diplomatic relations with the Obama administration. They've proven themselves to not have Israel's back, and as such there's no need to waste any more time on them while they're lingering. Should they choose to escalate, I'm sure Israel has some strategies in their back pocket.

- Any projects put on hold per the Obama administration's request should be immediately resumed, until such a time as negotiations are resumed and a stop is called for. If you abandon your half of the quid pro quo, you're owed absolutely nothing. I would also say it's time to consider letting Jews pray on the Temple Mount again. That was done as a peacekeeping measure, and the response was the UN trying to seize control of the Western Wall. No more accommodation when it comes to the exterminationists' desire to erase us from our own history.

- Potentially the biggest threat here is the long arm of "international law" looking to ensnare Israelis in its tentacles. This has been an ongoing threat for soldiers, but this resolution now raises the specter that a Jewish civilian who lives in the Jewish quarter of Old Jerusalem could face charges at Europe's hands. Israel needs to make clear that any capture of an Israeli citizen to face charges at the Hague will be considered not an arrest but a state-sponsored kidnapping and treated as such.

While not actually starting any conflicts that can't be dialed back, these three measures would send a very strong measure that Israel's existence, history, and right to defend itself is no longer up for debate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »

I genuinely thought you were referring to "anti-semitism" for a minute, and gave a double take.

Anyway, obviously the current state of Israel is not apartheid like at all, but a hypothetical israel that annexed Gaza and the west bank and refused to let Palestinians vote, err, probably would be.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

You literally just proposed apartheid.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2016, 04:16:59 PM »

Side question to David:
I know you're from the Netherlands, but did you or your family moved there from the USSR since the late 80's? Just a sociological interest in some trend I recently spotted
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »

I don't have any problem with the US acting and voting in their own interests, just as every single other nation does.
No smart person ever expects the U.S. (or any country, for that matter) to act altruistically. The point is that Obama's foreign policy of screwing over the U.S.' allies and aiding its enemies is not really in the country's interest at all.
The US is often the only major country in the world that stands up for Israel in the UN General Assembly. Don't even try to act like we haven't supported them. Even in this rare instance, this was an abstention.

Explain how angering an ally, destabilizing the peace process further, and putting defunding the UN on the table a month before the change of Presidents helped anyone.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

That's disgusting. The settlements are reprehensible.

Ordinary villages in which people build houses and live with their families are reprehensible, just because it's Jews living there?

No, just because it isn't their land they are building on. And I notice you say Jews, not Israelis.  Just how much housing subsidy do Israeli Arabs receive?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.

But there's a major difference. Legally, they're not living in Israel, but under military rule.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies