U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains  (Read 10921 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »

How does a strong/weak Israel strengthen or weaken my Jewish friend who has full tattoo sleeves and is posting about Christmas gifts on Facebook this morning? Don't see how Israel impacts her livelihood in Columbia Heights, MN.

See, when some pissant sociopath on the right or left gains power and decides that she needs to die because of what her genetic code says, the fact that there's a country of pissed-off Jews with nuclear weapons may just make said pissant sociopath think twice.

And that's an actual possibility in the US?

According to a whole lot of people this year, absolutely. And it certainly was in 1996.

I'm skeptical. However, I'm not only concerned about the US. I very much like the same deterrent existing for Europe.

Would be quite hard to use in Europe, I doubt the non-fascist neighbours would like having to deal with nuclear fallout on their territories,

Then they should probably take care of their genocidal Jew-hating neighbor before Israel has to.

That's the thing - Israel's nuclear weapons may not be an actual practical option in many situations, but what they are is a massive game-changer in terms of balance of power. The world is now forced to care what happens to the Jews, because Israel compels them to by the presence of that threat.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »

How does a strong/weak Israel strengthen or weaken my Jewish friend who has full tattoo sleeves and is posting about Christmas gifts on Facebook this morning? Don't see how Israel impacts her livelihood in Columbia Heights, MN.

See, when some pissant sociopath on the right or left gains power and decides that she needs to die because of what her genetic code says, the fact that there's a country of pissed-off Jews with nuclear weapons may just make said pissant sociopath think twice.

According to a whole lot of people this year, absolutely. And it certainly was in 1996.

I'm skeptical. However, I'm not only concerned about the US. I very much like the same deterrent existing for Europe.

Would be quite hard to use in Europe, I doubt the non-fascist neighbours would like having to deal with nuclear fallout on their territories,

Then they should probably take care of their genocidal Jew-hating neighbor before Israel has to.

That's the thing - Israel's nuclear weapons may not be an actual practical option in many situations, but what they are is a massive game-changer in terms of balance of power. The world is now forced to care what happens to the Jews, because Israel compels them to by the presence of that threat.

Israel doesn't have nuclear weapons to make sure foreign Jews are protected. It has them to ensure nobody ever engages in conventional war with Israel in the near future. You don't seriously think Netanyahu 1/ cares about Jews that won't even vote for him 2/ use nuclear weapons as leverage to protect them?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2016, 06:02:19 PM »

So, if Pakistan decided to use their nukes to make sure Muslims are treated well around the world, would you oppose it?
swl
France

« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2016, 06:16:43 PM »

The arguments abour God given land and the return of the messias sound very ISIS-like.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

So, if Pakistan decided to use their nukes to make sure Muslims are treated well around the world, would you oppose it?

That's an absurd false equivalency. There's never been an active and partially successful attempt to erase every last Muslim from the face of the planet.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »

Not in the slightest, and it is extremely paranoid and self centered to believe otherwise.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2016, 06:25:14 PM »

That's an absurd false equivalency. There's never been an active and partially successful attempt to erase every last Muslim from the face of the planet.

Well, I doubt anyone believe someone will attempt to erase all Jews again.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »

It's far more likely that the American government will try to exterminate the domestic Muslim population than go after the American Jewish community.

Neither one is remotely likely to happen.

Europe, though? Can't say the same about either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »

So how many European countries have even ended diplomatic recognition of Israel or elected an openly anti-Semitic leader? None.

Anyway I can assure that my friend who for the most part never thinks about or cares about Israel is not too worried about being the victim of a second Holocaust perpetuated by the US government...and I'm willing to wager virtually no Jews are.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2016, 08:52:49 PM »

You think Israeli's are willing to put their own lives on the line for European/American Jews?

If I was an Israeli nationalist I would seem like a wonderful opportunity to double the Jewish population of Israel.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2016, 09:23:16 PM by ERM64man »

Well, I doubt anyone believe someone will attempt to erase all Jews again.
Ahmadinejad said Israel should be wiped off the map. Rafsanjani played a major role in creating Iran's nuclear program, which is meant to create nuclear weapons to destroy Israel. Rafsanjani himself suggested nuking Israel. Hamas and Hezbollah, ISIS, and Al-Qaeda want to destroy all Jews. ISIS attacked a Hypercacher kosher superette in Porte de Vincennes in 2015, which was motivated by antisemitism.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »

The idea that foreign countries can decide where Jews can and cannot build, then, is also often believed to run against one of the more fundamental pillars of Zionism, namely that Jews are finally independent and don't have to rely on whether the world has a favorable or an unfavorable opinion of us. This, of course, makes the U.N. and international law in general spectacularly unpopular, especially so because the U.N. is -- rightly, in my opinion -- perceived to ignore real injustices in the world.

The U.N.'s primary focus is order, not justice. That said, the idea that any country need not consider what other countries think of it strikes me as delusionally arrogant. It's an arrogance that can only be sustained so long as a country remains stronger than its neighbors. Israel will retain that advantage for some time, but not forever.

I suppose if I shared your messianic vision, I might also ignore the lessons of history. However, even if I did, I'd hardly expect others to do so. (I'm not even one of those Christians who see the need for a restoration of a Jewish State as part of Christian eschatology.)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »

The arguments abour God given land and the return of the messias sound very ISIS-like.

You can criticize the Jews all you want but it's still THEIR LAND. They lived there centuries before Islam even began.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2016, 10:52:58 PM »

If I was an Israeli nationalist I would seem like a wonderful opportunity to double the Jewish population of Israel.

Most Israeli nationalists I, at least, know aren't nearly that psychopathic.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2016, 02:29:33 AM »

You can criticize the Jews all you want but it's still THEIR LAND. They lived there centuries before Islam even began.

Are you ready to give your land to a Native and take a boat back to England?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2016, 05:28:42 AM »

Even the damn Russians voted in favour of this. The f***ing Russians. F***ing Vladimir Putin can claim the high ground on this.

Jesus H. Christ
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »

When I read this thread I think a major problem for Israel are that Israel seem to have bought into their own propaganda, to some extent I thinks it's a feed back loop enabled by American mouth breathers, who fundamental fail to understand Israel as international actor and have bought into the Israeli propaganda and feed it back to Israel.

Israel are medium to small country falling somewhat in the same category as Belgium, Portugal and Greece. Therir GDP per capita are mostly similar to south Europe. Their export and import make up a very large part of their economy. While their economy per capita look South European, their export look more North European in nature focusing on specialised refined products. They have a large (but not worrying high) BOP deficit. Their main export partner are USA and EU which together take around 50% of the Israeli export. On the other hand EU/EFTA more or less have 50% of the Israeli import (mostly specialised products). Israel are pretty dependent on capital transfer from abroad both the American support, but even more money from the diaspora.

So what does this means, it means that if Israel behaved as some of the mouth breathers in this thread suggest they would, it would not be necessary to turn a single gun toward Israel for Israel to collapse in its existing form. It could likely survive as some kind of North Korea style economy, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be acceptable for vast majority the Israeli population.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2016, 08:18:36 AM »

The way that this is being presented forgets that both the UK and France, along with numerous other western nations sponsored this motion. It's possible to support Israel, see Hamas as a morally bankrupt terrorist group and still think that settlement building in occupied land is illegal, and wrong.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 10:02:48 AM by Cashew »

Their closeted perhaps? Maybe once you meet enough Christian Zionists you will understand. So no, having a religious motivation does not make an individual " psychopathic".

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 01:39:45 PM by Thoughtful Cynic »

Netanyahu made a phone call with the New Zealand foreign minister where he threatened that NZ sponsoring the resolution will be deemed a declaration of war. I'm sure those Kiwis are trembling.to their last sheep. Roll Eyes

North Korea called, Ben. They want their empty bombastic rhetoric back.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »

Their closeted perhaps? Maybe once you meet enough Christian Zionists you will understand. So no, having a religious motivation does not make an individual " psychopathic".

None of these three sentences appear to come from the same post.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »

Self-IDing "Christian Zionists" obviously have a different worldview than Israeli nationalists.
mencken
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »

Judea and Samaria, as envisioned by the United Nations:

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »

I don't know why people are praising Obama for this. All this shows is that he is a coward that neither has the guts to stand up for Israel nor vote in favour of the resolution.

I think abstaining is meant to show that the US is an ally of Israel, but has critique on its government's policy.
The real coward here is Benjamin Netanyahu- he's now spitting unprecedented attacks against the Obama administration, but he only has the guts because Clinton wasn't elected. He's like a little child who's coy when his parents are there, but throws tantrums whenever they're not there.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 02:36:43 PM by DavidB. »

The real coward here is Barack Obama- he's now spitting unprecedented attacks against the Netanyahu administration, but he only has the guts because Clinton wasn't elected. He's like a little child who's coy when his parents are there, but throws tantrums whenever they're not there.
ftfy

AW and Mencken get it.

I don't like Netanyahu, but every Jew who chooses to criticize Netanyahu instead of Obama right now has their priorities -- and probably actually more than that: their values -- profoundly messed up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies