U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto  (Read 3686 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
« edited: December 23, 2016, 04:29:19 PM by Parrotguy »

Obama just killed the UN out of sheer spite. Get ready for the US, Israel, and likely Russia to withdraw over the next few years.

Russia voted for the decision, by the way.

As did European countries I am sure. All Christian Western White countries are ashamed of Israel as it is a serious blot on all Judaio-Christian Western countries.

France-Germany & all European countries have strongly condemned the actions of Israel as does every UN body & every sensible human being. I am people generally are not as dumb as most people in this forum.

"Christian Western White countries" can literally go to hell if they think they have any right to sit in judgement over Israel for the next thousand years.

The next big ISIS type rising & global war will be due to this Palestine thing - There will be a point when there will be breaking point when Israel could be attacked by multiple nations similar to Arab-Israel war due to Palestine area (whatever small part of PLO is left) being taken over completely by settlements. The Arab nations are much stronger militarily than what they once were.

The only solution on the long term to have a safe Israel is to give the Palestine people something, atleast some part of their original nation to call homeland.

Israel is doing the same thing what was done to Jews in Europe & that is incredibly sad. They have violated every single god damn rule.

Lol. When you look at the current geopolitical situation in the Middle East, this is ridiculous.
I agree, though, that the only solution for a safe, Democratic Jewish State of Israel is the two-state solution. I'll ignore the last statement.

But this is in the U.S. General Discussion forum, so let's discuss the U.S. part of this- Obama's decision not the veto. After Benjamin Netanyahu has been completely ungrateful and provoked the Obama Administration for years, I understand this decision.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »

Obama really disappointed me with this decision. It sounds like nothing more than spite and a nod to the Democratic Party's increasing anti-Israel posture.

I'll say it: Israel has an unabridged right to its territories, including Jerusalem, the West Bank, and the entirety of Israel. It is further in the interests of the United States to favor one of the few allies in the region that favors our success in the War on Radical Islam and has a population that supports our victory unconditionally.

There is absolutely no reason to cede any of these territories to the Palestinians, a group of people that could be homed by any of the Gulf State peoples or any of the Arabic nations around Israel. I am not for a two state solution; I am for a one state solution, named Israel. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »

Most right wingers support Israel for one of two reasons

1. They want all Jews to return to Israel to die in the apocalypse.

2. The view American Jews (who are mostly left leaning) as a hindrance to their political objectives and want them to move to Israel to make their lives easier.

The more anti-Israel a person is, the more I, as a Jew, trust them.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »

2. The view American Jews (who are mostly left leaning) as a hindrance to their political objectives and want them to move to Israel to make their lives easier.

We want Jews to die? That's such BS. I don't want my Bestfriends to die.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

Obama just killed the UN out of sheer spite. Get ready for the US, Israel, and likely Russia to withdraw over the next few years.

Russia voted for the decision, by the way.

As did European countries I am sure. All Christian Western White countries are ashamed of Israel as it is a serious blot on all Judaio-Christian Western countries.

France-Germany & all European countries have strongly condemned the actions of Israel as does every UN body & every sensible human being. I am people generally are not as dumb as most people in this forum.

"Christian Western White countries" can literally go to hell if they think they have any right to sit in judgement over Israel for the next thousand years.

The next big ISIS type rising & global war will be due to this Palestine thing - There will be a point when there will be breaking point when Israel could be attacked by multiple nations similar to Arab-Israel war due to Palestine area (whatever small part of PLO is left) being taken over completely by settlements. The Arab nations are much stronger militarily than what they once were.

The only solution on the long term to have a safe Israel is to give the Palestine people something, atleast some part of their original nation to call homeland.

Israel is doing the same thing what was done to Jews in Europe & that is incredibly sad. They have violated every single god damn rule.

Lol. When you look at the current geopolitical situation in the Middle East, this is ridiculous.
I agree, though, that the only solution for a safe, Democratic Jewish State of Israel is the two-state solution. I'll ignore the last statement.

Currently ofcourse it ain't possible because these guys are fighting Arab Springs & radical groups in their own country. Many of these Radical countries have little money to cover their expense with oil crash - They are at the weakest they ever were. But you know this is not a permanent state. In 15 to 20 years, Asia will continue to rise as comparatively US will stagnate in global power to defend everyone & Middle East Arab nations will recover.

I hope there is some solution to this mess - Palestine people should take some part & let this thing end - Whatever little it is, should be totally autonomous not the Bill Clinton plan, not like controlled by Israeli army with Palestine administration which will again cause another mess.

Anyways nice talking to you - I fully sympathize with rockets coming in  - It is sad when any innocent baby dies - Whether jew or muslim.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »

We want Jews to die? That's such BS. I don't want my Bestfriends to die.

You could very well be option 2, but very few on the right support Israel for philanthropic reasons. Christian Zionism is far and away the biggest threat to diaspora Jews.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »

I am a much bigger student of history & more intelligent than most here.

Assad is in a stronger position than his father? The king of Jordan will turn his back on the west?

The only country bordering Israel that is conceivably threatening is Egypt, but considering the country is basically a river, all it takes is destroying the Aswan Dam should push come to shove.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »

I am a much bigger student of history & more intelligent than most here.

Assad is in a stronger position than his father? The king of Jordan will turn his back on the west?

The only country bordering Israel that is conceivably threatening is Egypt, but considering the country is basically a river, all it takes is destroying the Aswan Dam should push come to shove.

And under Sisi, Egypt is probably the friendliest any Arab nation has ever been to Israel. Hell, he pulled the resolution and made Obama go crawling to the likes of Venezuela and New Zealand to get it passed.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »

Right-wing Jews calling this anti-Semitic is a spit in the face to those who experience real antisemitism. Congrats though, you'll get your GOP morons in office who will gut everything except settlement support.

The word settlement just reeks of old school colonialism.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »

Good. Israel needs to exist, but not like this.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »

Although, its funny. The republicans will play this up as a betrayal against Israel. And sure, conservatives will eat this up but American Jews are liberal and support a two-state solution. If republicans think fighting the UN over this is going to win them more supporters, especially Jewish supporters(like myself), they're going to be disappointed.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »

Let me get this right: liberals are cheering a resolution that amounts to nothing more than a strongly worded letter even though the next administration will use this as an excuse to gut the UN's funding? I mean there is no other nation that would be willing to replace America's almost single-handed funding of the organization
Fusionmunster

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 07:55:45 PM »

Although, its funny. The republicans will play this up as a betrayal against Israel. And sure, conservatives will eat this up but American Jews are liberal and support a two-state solution. If republicans think fighting the UN over this is going to win them more supporters, especially Jewish supporters(like myself), they're going to be disappointed.

Why do you support a two state solution when the majority of Palestinians don't and in fact want Israel to cease existing altogether?

It what circumstance should public opinion ever matter when deciding foreign policy?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »

Let me get this right: liberals are cheering a resolution that amounts to nothing more than a strongly worded letter even though the next administration will use this as an excuse to gut the UN's funding? I mean there is no other nation that would be willing to replace America's almost single-handed funding of the organization

Obama's destructive spite towards Israel blinds him and most of his supporters.

The dangerous thing is, he's not done. He's got a month to try to get this to a point of open conflict between the two nations to salt the Earth.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:49 PM »

Obama has been more than gracious towards Israel. Netanyahu however...
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »

Obama has been more than gracious towards Israel. Netanyahu however...

He literally rewrote the rules of the entire conflict months into office and then attempted to force Netanyahu to heel based on those changes. He was publicly humiliated by his own party over it and has been seeking retaliation ever since.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »

Right-wing Jews calling this anti-Semitic is a spit in the face to those who experience real antisemitism.
uhhh... like myself? Not really into spitting myself in the face tbh. So no, this is untrue.
JJC

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 11:57:17 PM by JJC »

Ah yes, the omnipotent liberal, who claims to know exactly what their opponents beliefs are and why they believe them, which is always sinister in nature. Must be nice to live in a bubble where everything you don't agree with is evil/racist/sexist/ect. Simple, really. Such a lifestyle requires no critical thinking and no self reflection. You're always the righteous knight in shining armor and your opponents are the demons who must be purged.

It's too bad reality doesn't work that way.

Anyway, this is indeed a cowardly and cynical act by Obama; but fortunately a meaningless one. At the end of the day it's just a strongly worded letter of condemnation mostly by nations who routinely condemn Israel every single day. Israel is a free society who respect human life, and goes through great pains to limit innocent life when fighting terrorist. They are the most like us, and a lone shining beacon of hope in a region that has been in turmoil for 1500 years. Meanwhile, militant Palestinians have no qualms about strapping bombs to children and blowing them up in public areas. But hey, who cares about those things right?

And it's just more evidence of how completely useless the UN has become (always was?). It's stated purpose to limit international conflict has been an unmitigated disaster. In reality, all it does is give platforms and legitimacy to dictatorships, theocracies, and human-rights abusing nations. It also limits the U.S. in negotiating capacity. In essence we're funding an organization (over 20%) that limits our power abroad.

BTW, all things in life, from single-celled organisms to herds of highly evolved primates, will fight for self preservation.
JJC

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »

Israel, understandably, is not happy.

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »

Why do people give so much importance to these radical extremist Republican posters? These are no different to non-violent Radical Muslims who spew hate. They are also dumb & don't have a shred of humanity in them. Their ideology is beyond stupid & has no future & has been shunned throughout the world. With time, these radical extremists will cease to exist as the new young people who are coming in with older people dying are much amiable, nice people who have some humanity.

The whole world has turned against Israel for humanitarian reasons - 4 different countries from different parts - Oceania, Africa, South America, Asia jointly proposed the resolution in a message of global unity when Egypt was pressurized by Trump to back out. All the European nations in SC supported this.

Truly an incredibly sight to see the world unite for peace & humanity against radicals

Underscoring that unity, Friday’s resolution was proposed by nations in four different parts of the world: Malaysia, New Zealand, Senegal and Venezuela. It is the first resolution on settlements to pass in 36 years, Malaysia’s U.N. Ambassador Ramlan Bin Ibrahim said.

The resolution was adopted with 14 votes in favour to a resounding round of applause. It is the first resolution the Security Council has adopted on Israel and the Palestinians in nearly eight years.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi had backtracked on the move to condemn Israel's settlement policy on Thursday after receiving a phone call from US president-elect Donald Trump, who spoke out in favour of a US veto.   
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2016, 01:32:27 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-declines-to-veto-un-security-council-resolution-for-israel-to-stop-jewish-settlement-activity/2016/12/23/cd4efe72-c939-11e6-bf4b-2c064d32a4bf_story.html?utm_term=.bf803cec3927

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meh. Normally I'd be fiercely against such a thing, and indeed, the U.N. is a rotten organization where Saudi Arabia sits at the Human Rights Council and Israel is a constant punching bag to the Arab nations. But the settlements have become more and more of a pain in the neck- a child born in the settlements recieves 5 times more funding than a child in other parts of Israel, the Galilee (where I live) is dying but the government is having emergency meetings for 40 families in some remote hill. I can't really get myself to care for the settlements.
Summed my opinion up perfectly.

Besides, nothing's going to happen anyway.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 03:45:03 AM »

Obama's destructive spite towards Israel blinds him and most of his supporters.

The dangerous thing is, he's not done. He's got a month to try to get this to a point of open conflict between the two nations to salt the Earth.

Actually, no. Obama was the President who gave the biggest monetary support to Israel, always defended us in the U.N. until now, and always supported our right for self-defence against Hamas. It was Netanyahu who acted ungratefuly, and continuesly provoked the Obama administration. He came to give a speech in Congress in them middle of an election in Israel, when the President of the U.S explicitly asked him not to. If that's ungrateful, I don't know what is.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 04:06:05 AM »

Shadows arrogance, borderline antisemitism and flat out ignorance is adorable and amusing, in a way.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »

Shadows arrogance, borderline antisemitism and flat out ignorance is adorable and amusing, in a way.

It's really not borderline, if you look at the other thread.
JJC

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »

It's like when you read lefty blogs where half the comments are about how racist/sexist republicans are, and the other half are about how disgusting/horrible/hateful white men are.

And not a single one spots the hypocrisy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies