U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:22:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.N Security Council passes resolution Israeli settlements; the U.S doesn't veto  (Read 3777 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: December 24, 2016, 01:32:27 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-declines-to-veto-un-security-council-resolution-for-israel-to-stop-jewish-settlement-activity/2016/12/23/cd4efe72-c939-11e6-bf4b-2c064d32a4bf_story.html?utm_term=.bf803cec3927

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Meh. Normally I'd be fiercely against such a thing, and indeed, the U.N. is a rotten organization where Saudi Arabia sits at the Human Rights Council and Israel is a constant punching bag to the Arab nations. But the settlements have become more and more of a pain in the neck- a child born in the settlements recieves 5 times more funding than a child in other parts of Israel, the Galilee (where I live) is dying but the government is having emergency meetings for 40 families in some remote hill. I can't really get myself to care for the settlements.
Summed my opinion up perfectly.

Besides, nothing's going to happen anyway.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »

Let me get this right: liberals are cheering a resolution that amounts to nothing more than a strongly worded letter even though the next administration will use this as an excuse to gut the UN's funding? I mean there is no other nation that would be willing to replace America's almost single-handed funding of the organization

Obama's destructive spite towards Israel blinds him and most of his supporters.

The dangerous thing is, he's not done. He's got a month to try to get this to a point of open conflict between the two nations to salt the Earth.

Actually, no. Obama was the President who gave the biggest monetary support to Israel, always defended us in the U.N. until now, and always supported our right for self-defence against Hamas. It was Netanyahu who acted ungratefuly, and continuesly provoked the Obama administration. He came to give a speech in Congress in them middle of an election in Israel, when the President of the U.S explicitly asked him not to. If that's ungrateful, I don't know what is.
Precisely. Likud has been getting way too cocky as of late, and while I am an unabashed supporter of Israel, I find it hard to feel any empathy for Netanyahu.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »

Actually, so long as the Arabs suffer from the curse of oil wealth, Israel likely has nothing to fear. While it's not impossible for the Arab states to develop into an existential threat to Israel while their leadership bases their power upon natural resources and/or external sponsorship, it's once that is gone that the conditions for strong Arab states will develop.

This resolution demonstrated my point. Egypt, with its dependence upon external sponsorship, was able to be persuaded to withdraw the resolution. Had Egypt been independently strong, that wouldn't have happened.
Didn't Egypt end up voting for it anyway?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »

So is the opposition party of Israel also anti-Semitic? Because they agree with the UN's ruling.
Buchner self hating Jewish Nazi's!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies