What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
less than 1%

1-5%

5-10%

10-20%

20%-33%

34%-50%

50-67%

68-80%

80-100%

almost all of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?  (Read 4048 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 02:55:08 PM »

I would imagine that terrorism against Iraqis has low support, but it is much higher when the attacks are against the United States, Israel, and Europe.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »

As Fareed Zakaria recently pointed out, the perception will always be that there are more terrorists than in reality.

Using the latest CIA World Factbook estimates (my calculations), if a mere 1% of Muslims support terrorism, that's 12.8 million people.  If .01% of Muslims actively and violently support terrorism, that's over 120,000 militants that'll be attacking our soldiers and citizens.

1%? LOL That number is way off. You don't know what kind of hate they are teaching in their mosques. That whole disgusting Koran is filled with violence towards women, children and non believers.

Have you ever been in a mosque? Or have you read the Koran?

I have no interests in going to Mosques, reading Korans or going to Aryan nation meetings.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 07:18:49 PM »

As Fareed Zakaria recently pointed out, the perception will always be that there are more terrorists than in reality.

Using the latest CIA World Factbook estimates (my calculations), if a mere 1% of Muslims support terrorism, that's 12.8 million people.  If .01% of Muslims actively and violently support terrorism, that's over 120,000 militants that'll be attacking our soldiers and citizens.

1%? LOL That number is way off. You don't know what kind of hate they are teaching in their mosques. That whole disgusting Koran is filled with violence towards women, children and non believers.

I have no interests in going to Mosques, reading Korans or going to Aryan nation meetings.

Gustaf's question was a rhetorical one designed to make you admit you weren't a better source of information on Koranic teachings than I am when you said to me "You don't know what kind of hate they are teaching in their mosques".

If you want to discuss the details of what I don't know, I started a new thread that covers a lot of the issues you tend to bring up.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 06:04:26 AM »

Gustaf's question was a rhetorical one designed to make you admit you weren't a better source of information on Koranic teachings than I am when you said to me "You don't know what kind of hate they are teaching in their mosques".

If you want to discuss the details of what I don't know, I started a new thread that covers a lot of the issues you tend to bring up.

Yep, that was it. Wink

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 06:12:34 AM »

Generally their isn't much of a problem in Mosque's; they're usually no go areas for extemist Wahabbis. Just outside you do get problems sometimes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 06:20:50 AM »

Hard to say.  My estimate of how many Muslims genuinely support terrorism would be somewhere in the 5-10% range, although this is erring on the larger side; I would not be terribly surprised to find out that it was lower.

The fact that many Muslims are silent on the matter is not necessarily an indication that they tacitly support it.  One of the biggest problems is that many Muslims are brought up from day 1 to believe that questioning any part of the Qu'ran is a complete no-no.  The reason that this is a problem is because the terrorists are very good at acting as if their actions are simply following the Qu'ran, and as if speaking out against their actions is akin to speaking out against the Qu'ran itself.  Given that very few Muslims in Middle Eastern countries would ever want someone else to suspect that they question the Qu'ran, they therefore stay silent on the matter of terrorism, even if there are very strong feelings in their mind that, intuitively, what they're seeing is wrong.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 10:43:20 AM »

US would be very low-under 5%

But in the Middle East it's probably somewhere around the 20-33% figure.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 12:21:01 PM »

Against Israel 30-40%

Against USA 20-30%

Against Europe about 10% or less.

However, we should remember that most of these people are very mislead and uneducated.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2005, 09:45:02 PM »

Here is the US, are there really that many Muslims who wouldn't try to stop someone whom they had found out to be part of a sleeper cell?  If I knew anyone to be a menace to society, I would turn him/her in immediately, even somone like me in terms of religion, ethnicity, etc.

I can't believe people here think that a large percentage of Muslims here would allow another Muslim to commit a terrorist act.  That's like thinking many African Americans wouldn't stop another African American from commiting a crime, many Christians wouldn't stop someone they found out to be the next Eric Rudolph, or many Caucasians wouldn't stop another Caucasian they knew to be plotting a hate crime.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2005, 10:10:46 PM »

U.S.:  5-10%
Middle-East:  40+%
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »

I hope you're wrong.  Your statistics would indicate a population of between 150,000 and 300,000 people within the US borders who support terrorism.  In addition to that, they would indicate some absurdly high number abroad, probably something along the lines of 200-300 million people.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2005, 12:05:04 AM »

I hope you're wrong.  Your statistics would indicate a population of between 150,000 and 300,000 people within the US borders who support terrorism.  In addition to that, they would indicate some absurdly high number abroad, probably something along the lines of 200-300 million people.

Wouldn't be suprising considering the religion they follow.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »

That sounds rather anti-Muslim.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2005, 12:20:00 AM »

That sounds rather anti-Muslim.

You are correct it is! I despise Islam it's a disgusting religion of death.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2005, 01:03:21 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2005, 09:54:28 AM by Lunar »

I'd find it surprising.  You really think that 300,000 people within the United States support terrorism and yet have not managed to commit a single terrorist act in five years?

About it being the religion of death, when I get time, (soon, hopefully) I'll address all of those skullbones from that Geocities-esque website you linked to on my thread the other day. Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »

Hard to say. I think it's a pretty low percentage, but a vocal minority can often have more power than a silent majority.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:55 PM »

68-80%

I'm still upset about the 2nd London Bombings. How dare they attack England. As a liberal I hate to say this but I think we are arriving at a point where Europe and America should start deporting young Muslim men, the risks they pose are to great to be hidden by politically correct babble. I hope for everyone's sake the police DO racially profile people, it would be better than having cameras everywhere and a cop on every bus and train. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2005, 10:04:55 PM »

1-5%, higher in areas like the West Bank, Gaza, and southern Lebanon. Maybe approaching 20% max in those areas. Of course, if you include support of terrorism against Israel, those numbers jump to around half in territories occupied by Israel and places around them. In the US, no more than half a percent at most. About the same as the number of Americans who support nuking Mecca or Medina.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2005, 10:08:31 PM »

68-80%

I'm still upset about the 2nd London Bombings. How dare they attack England. As a liberal I hate to say this but I think we are arriving at a point where Europe and America should start deporting young Muslim men, the risks they pose are to great to be hidden by politically correct babble. I hope for everyone's sake the police DO racially profile people, it would be better than having cameras everywhere and a cop on every bus and train. 

Er, you do realize that 68-80% is in the hundreds of millions and is probably close to a billion people, don't you?

If that many people supported terrorism, don't you think we'd see a little more violence than what we currently see?  I mean, the London bombing was done by four guys and was the first terrorist attack on a Western country in a while.

It seems to me that it's practically a self-fulfilling prophecy: if we treat all Muslims as the enemy and harass and deport them, uh, of course they're not going to like us.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2005, 10:09:46 PM »

Clearly he has no relationship with reality at all if he thinks the number even approaches 5% world wide.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2005, 10:10:54 PM »

Clearly he has no relationship with reality at all if he thinks the number even approaches 5% world wide.
BRTD would tell you that ignorance is bliss!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »

68-80%

Er, you do realize that 68-80% is in the hundreds of millions and is probably close to a billion people, don't you?

If that many people supported terrorism, don't you think we'd see a little more violence than what we currently see?  I mean, the London bombing was done by four guys and was the first terrorist attack on a Western country in a while.

It seems to me that it's practically a self-fulfilling prophecy: if we treat all Muslims as the enemy and harass and deport them, uh, of course they're not going to like us.

Just because they support acts of terrorism does not necessarily indicate that they will act on those feelings. Just like this country in the early 20th century. Many many hundreds of thousands supported the KKK but that doesn't mean they acted in the same way the KKK did by going off and lynching people. Did you know that in the 1920s the KKK had over 5 million members all over the US? Did that mean all 5 million were lynching blacks? No, absolutely not. But did the majority probably support such things or violent acts? Most likely. And you can apply the same thing for those members of the religion of "peace".
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »

68-80%

Did you notice the part where I said I was still upset by the bombings today? You should read that before going into the standard PC diatribe.

I hate how every time there's a terrorist attack, Bush and Blair's first response is to try and protect the "innocent" muslims, who supposedly don't condone the attacks, yet never seem to try and oppose them. Why don't they show some concern for the victims of the London blasts instead of pandering to the Muslim Immigrant vote? And yes I think there are millions of muslims who support what the terrorists do, but don't act that way themselves.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2005, 12:15:49 AM »

Um, you must've missed the large Muslim protest against the bombings. And really, how is a community supposed to stop a handful of rogues. Can a standard US community prevent murderers and child rapists from striking. In most cases, no. It's unfair to expect Joe Muslim on the street to stop a terrorist attack just by willing it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2005, 12:18:17 AM »

Why don't they show some concern for the victims of the London blasts instead of pandering to the Muslim Immigrant vote?

It was very likely that there was a Muslim among the victims, whether dead or injured.

You can call what I say "PC" all you like, but that does nothing to change whether or not it's true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies