What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:10:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?
less than 1%

1-5%

5-10%

10-20%

20%-33%

34%-50%

50-67%

68-80%

80-100%

almost all of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: What percentage of Muslims support terrorism?  (Read 4067 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2005, 12:35:02 AM »

68-80%

I'm still upset about the 2nd London Bombings. How dare they attack England. As a liberal I hate to say this but I think we are arriving at a point where Europe and America should start deporting young Muslim men, the risks they pose are to great to be hidden by politically correct babble. I hope for everyone's sake the police DO racially profile people, it would be better than having cameras everywhere and a cop on every bus and train. 

Er, you do realize that 68-80% is in the hundreds of millions and is probably close to a billion people, don't you?

If that many people supported terrorism, don't you think we'd see a little more violence than what we currently see?  I mean, the London bombing was done by four guys and was the first terrorist attack on a Western country in a while.

It seems to me that it's practically a self-fulfilling prophecy: if we treat all Muslims as the enemy and harass and deport them, uh, of course they're not going to like us.

Did you notice the part where I said I was still upset by the bombings today? You should read that before going into the standard PC diatribe.

I hate how every time there's a terrorist attack, Bush and Blair's first response is to try and protect the "innocent" muslims, who supposedly don't condone the attacks, yet never seem to try and oppose them. Why don't they show some concern for the victims of the London blasts instead of pandering to the Muslim Immigrant vote? And yes I think there are millions of muslims who support what the terrorists do, but don't act that way themselves.

Couldn't be better said. Pandering to members of the religion of death is the worst thing we can do.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2005, 12:43:38 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2005, 12:47:13 AM by dazzleman »

Did you notice the part where I said I was still upset by the bombings today? You should read that before going into the standard PC diatribe.

I hate how every time there's a terrorist attack, Bush and Blair's first response is to try and protect the "innocent" muslims, who supposedly don't condone the attacks, yet never seem to try and oppose them. Why don't they show some concern for the victims of the London blasts instead of pandering to the Muslim Immigrant vote? And yes I think there are millions of muslims who support what the terrorists do, but don't act that way themselves.

I agree with you.  I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that there isn't substantial support for terrorism among Muslims.  Why is it that virtually all terrorists are from this religion?  Surely, that isn't a coincidence.  We're not going to get a grip on this until we drop political correctness and our self-delusions.  At this point, it's a matter of tactics in finding the best way to recognize and act upon the truth with unnecessarily creating more enemies.  But it makes no sense to say that we have to be careful about how we treat people who will hate us no matter how we treat them.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 04:17:36 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2005, 04:28:45 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

I agree with you.  I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that there isn't substantial support for terrorism among Muslims.  Why is it that virtually all terrorists are from this religion?  Surely, that isn't a coincidence.

The fact that all terrorists are Muslims doesn't really say anything about Muslims as a whole.  I agree that there are issues in the Islamic world, to put it as nicely as I can, but I don't see how they're different from what we saw in the Christian world 400 years ago.  As I've said repeatedly, Islam is 400 years younger than Christianity.

At this point, it's a matter of tactics in finding the best way to recognize and act upon the truth with unnecessarily creating more enemies.

Yes, I completely agree with this.

But it makes no sense to say that we have to be careful about how we treat people who will hate us no matter how we treat them.

But they don't hate you no matter how you treat them.  That's the thing.  Of course some will, but do you deny that treating peaceful Muslims badly will make them more likely to hate you?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2005, 04:26:47 AM »

It was very likely that there was a Muslim among the victims, whether dead or injured.

Yep, that's true. First victim to be buried was a Bangladeshi muslim from Plaistow (in the Docklands). The names of most of the victims have yet to be released, but there's certain to be more.
One bomb went off in the middle of a heavily Bangladeshi area, and another in the middle of the largest Arab community in Britain. Make of that what you will...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2005, 07:28:14 AM »

The fact that all terrorists are Muslims doesn't really say anything about Muslims as a whole.  I agree that there are issues in the Islamic world, to put it as nicely as I can, but I don't see how they're different from what we saw in the Christian world 400 years ago.  As I've said repeatedly, Islam is 400 years younger than Christianity.

I've made that same point about the age of islam versus Christianity.  The only problem is that nuclear weapons didn't exist 400 yeas ago, and neither did advanced explosives.  It is exceedingly dangerous to the world to have people like this among us because a relative few can do tremendous damage.  I also respectfully disagree with you that the fact that virtually all terrorists are muslims says nothing about muslims as a whole.  I think it says a lot about muslims.

But they don't hate you no matter how you treat them.  That's the thing.  Of course some will, but do you deny that treating peaceful Muslims badly will make them more likely to hate you?

Gabu, I have to partially disagree with you here.  I think a good number of muslims do hate us regardless of what we have or haven't done to them.  One thing that helps terrorism flourish in muslim communities, whether they are located in Riyadh, Jakarta, or London, is the broad undercurrent of hatefulness that exists generally in muslim communities.  In Pakistan, 51% of the people approve of the Sept. 11th attacks, as an example.  In this type of environment, irrational hatred is normal and accepted.  If muslims keep this up, that hatred will eventually be returned, in spades.

There's an old saying, "never make a nice guy mad."  When a nice guy gets mad, he can be more vicious and ferocious than anyone imagined.  The Japanese found this out, and the Germans found this out.  In addition to all our regular strategic bombing in World War II that targeted civilians with the goal of killing as many as possible and dehousing them in order to break morale, we happily incinerated 350,000 people with incendiary bombs in 3 days in Dresden, and another 200,000 or so in two atomic bomb droppings in Japan.  Whether they realize it or not, these people are playing with fire by supporting such irrational hatred, and if they push us far enough, they will find out that we have far more effective means of killing than they do.

This talk about the Muslim world reminds me of what many said about Germany during the Hitler era.  How many Germans then were actually Nazis?  Probably not that many.  Yet German opinion created an atmosphere where Nazism was allowed to flourish.  Germans didn't really want World War II, but they want along with Hitler, and were tremendously effective militarily in decimating the populations and bringing untold misery to so many countries around them.  How many would actually have worked in a death camp?  Probably not many.

But the point is that the vast silent majority created an atmosphere that was complicit and, at least, tacitly approving of the holding of highly irrational hatred and the commission of vile atrocities.  When I look at the muslim world today, I feel I am looking at Germany in 1939.  There are so many eerie similarities.

Many people don't remember this, but Hitler also played the victim, as many muslims do today.  They demand that people ignore the obvious, and try to benefit from politically correct reluctance to recognize truths that are not politically palatable, even as they spew out unreasoning hatred toward Jews and others.  Even the irrational hatred of Jews makes them similar to Nazis.

In sum, I think we need to stop kidding ourselves.  Muslim communities, whether in London, Islamabad, Manila, or New York, are generally hotbeds of hatred that are very good breeding grounds for terrorism.  The common link in all of it is islam.  There is no denying it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies