What is the most liberal city in Massachusetts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is the most liberal city in Massachusetts?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of these cities is the most liberal?
Boston

Northampton

Cambridge

North Adams

Greenfield

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: What is the most liberal city in Massachusetts?  (Read 3621 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »

Incidentally, there is a WWC side to Northampton that people don't really talk about (of course, these people are still liberal as hell). I'm not familiar enough with Cambridge to know if there's a similar demographic there.
Liberal blue collar white voters are a major reason Sanders won the Northampton primary.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »

Incidentally, there is a WWC side to Northampton that people don't really talk about (of course, these people are still liberal as hell). I'm not familiar enough with Cambridge to know if there's a similar demographic there.
Liberal blue collar white voters are a major reason Sanders won the Northampton primary.

I know that.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

I know very little about New England. What do New Englanders refer to places like Hacienda Heights and Jesmond Dene as?

I have never heard of these places, but googling Hacienda Heights brings up a majority-minority city (presumably ultra liberal) and Jesmond Dene as either a park in England or a park in California. What exactly do you mean by "refer to... as"?
Hacienda Heights isn't an incorporated city. It is heavily Democratic, but more traditional Hispanic/white/Asian establishment Clinton Democrats, not Bernie Sanders types. It certainly isn't a weird hipster town, it's more laid back. I know several people from Hacienda Heights, and I have been there frequently. Hillary Clinton probably defeated Sanders in the primary there. In Hacienda Heights, Trump easily finished second (breaking 20%; probably receiving 23-30%), Johnson came in third, and Stein finished fourth. Look up Jesmond Dene, California on Wikipedia. I have also been there frequently. What I mean by "refer to as", is, would New Englanders refer to these communities as "towns" or would they use some other term for such communities?
The only "incorporated" things we have in New England are towns and cities (though Vermont has "incorporated villages", which are still a part of towns and the only difference I believe is a subgovernment); townships as the rest of the country knows them are a completely foreign term to us. Town governments are much stronger than counties here (in fact, CT, RI, and most of MA have completely abolished county governments) and people very very rarely identify with their county (I live in Norfolk County, but I'd never say that if asked where I was from, I'd just say my town), and they govern through either representatives or the people of the town hold meetings and directly vote on issues. Many people strongly identify with their town and there is generally a rivalry of sorts with some nearby town(s).
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »

I know very little about New England. What do New Englanders refer to places like Hacienda Heights and Jesmond Dene as?

I have never heard of these places, but googling Hacienda Heights brings up a majority-minority city (presumably ultra liberal) and Jesmond Dene as either a park in England or a park in California. What exactly do you mean by "refer to... as"?
Hacienda Heights isn't an incorporated city. It is heavily Democratic, but more traditional Hispanic/white/Asian establishment Clinton Democrats, not Bernie Sanders types. It certainly isn't a weird hipster town, it's more laid back. I know several people from Hacienda Heights, and I have been there frequently. Hillary Clinton probably defeated Sanders in the primary there. In Hacienda Heights, Trump easily finished second (breaking 20%; probably receiving 23-30%), Johnson came in third, and Stein finished fourth. Look up Jesmond Dene, California on Wikipedia. I have also been there frequently. What I mean by "refer to as", is, would New Englanders refer to these communities as "towns" or would they use some other term for such communities?
The only "incorporated" things we have in New England are towns and cities (though Vermont has "incorporated villages", which are still a part of towns and the only difference I believe is a subgovernment); townships as the rest of the country knows them are a completely foreign term to us. Town governments are much stronger than counties here (in fact, CT, RI, and most of MA have completely abolished county governments) and people very very rarely identify with their county (I live in Norfolk County, but I'd never say that if asked where I was from, I'd just say my town), and they govern through either representatives or the people of the town hold meetings and directly vote on issues. Many people strongly identify with their town and there is generally a rivalry of sorts with some nearby town(s).
When you said Hacienda Heights was probably very liberal, did you presume that voters there voted for Bernie Sanders, vote to legalize marijuana, and vote to abolish capital punishment?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies