Muslim Americans more accepting of homosexuality than many Christian groups
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:25:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Muslim Americans more accepting of homosexuality than many Christian groups
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Muslim Americans more accepting of homosexuality than many Christian groups  (Read 2299 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »

I've met three young, evangelical Christians in my life and all of them were very gay friendly themselves and at the same time very devout as well.  They too supported gay marriage.

I guess you really can't use broad generalizations for any group.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »

I'm an evangelical Christian.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 01:06:43 PM »

I can't imagine where they may have gotten that idea from.  Maybe it's because that's what they are saying?  link - Islamreligion.com
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Perhaps Islamreligion.com isn't a mainstream place, perhaps my Google Fu is weak today, but most of what I found in some casual searching is like the above.  (worse actually, but I wanted neutral or pro-Islamic places...it doesn't matter what the haters say or claim)
LGBT people are being accepted more and more in the developed world (a little less so in parts of Asia). In the developing world, they are hated as decadent symbols of the West or mortal sinners. Both Christians and Muslims agree on that, oddly enough.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

Anecdotally, among people I know who are deeply committed to conservative religious identifiers (non-BRTD Evangelicals, Mormons, some of my fellow Catholics), even those who have moral qualms with homosexuality themselves are coming around to the idea that society as a whole should accept it.

The idea that most Evangelicals and Mormons are "impoverished backwoods snake-handlers" is certainly an interesting one.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »

The idea that most Evangelicals and Mormons are "impoverished backwoods snake-handlers" is certainly an interesting one.

Bubblers gonna bubble
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »

I seem to remember hearing that Mormons are, overall, actually one of the most affluent religious groups.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 07:09:33 PM »

I was making a joke....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »

LGBT people are being accepted more and more in the developed world (a little less so in parts of Asia). In the developing world, they are hated as decadent symbols of the West or mortal sinners. Both Christians and Muslims agree on that, oddly enough.
that yarn likes to be spun

countries that have signed the UN LGBT rights decleration are in blue
countries that signed the UN "gays ain't people" alternative are in red

Not a perfect match, but come on....
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »

that yarn likes to be spun

countries that have signed the UN LGBT rights decleration are in blue
countries that signed the UN "gays ain't people" alternative are in red

Not a perfect match, but come on....
Correlation doesn't equate causation. I am and always will be critical of Islam, especially because of its inherent social illiberalism. That being said, the poorer a nation is (and to an extent how authoritarian its past was) factor in greatly as to how accepting of LGBT people the nation as a whole is. How hard is it to acknowledge that both religion and politics are the problem? Islam is very anti-LGBT and I wouldn't ever say otherwise, but know that Christians in the developing world harbor the same attitudes. Nations where the government is secular and religion is out of politics are far more LGBT friendly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »

Correlation doesn't equate causation. I am and always will be critical of Islam, especially because of its inherent social illiberalism. That being said, the poorer a nation is (and to an extent how authoritarian its past was) factor in greatly as to how accepting of LGBT people the nation as a whole is. How hard is it to acknowledge that both religion and politics are the problem?
I acknowledge that.
which is all my post that you commented on was saying, I'm not sure where we even disagree at this point
Some of them, indeed.  Nowhere near as consistently as Muslims do though.  As the above map shows, really clearly.
Indeed.  It's good that the libertarian position on that has finally taken hold, took the left long enough Wink
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »

Correlation doesn't equate causation. I am and always will be critical of Islam, especially because of its inherent social illiberalism. That being said, the poorer a nation is (and to an extent how authoritarian its past was) factor in greatly as to how accepting of LGBT people the nation as a whole is. How hard is it to acknowledge that both religion and politics are the problem?
I acknowledge that.
which is all my post that you commented on was saying, I'm not sure where we even disagree at this point
Some of them, indeed.  Nowhere near as consistently as Muslims do though.  As the above map shows, really clearly.
Indeed.  It's good that the libertarian position on that has finally taken hold, took the left long enough Wink
We don't disagree, I was just adding more details to your post.

Also, I'm not a leftist.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »

I acknowledge that.

In East Africa particularly, it is the Christians that are causing rampant homophobia and violence against gays. And in many cases being fueled by mission trips from the United States.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »

Yep, that's the only place that's ever brought up as an example.  Weird.  You'd think if Christianity was just as bad as Islam to homosexuals you could point to some place else...but nope, always east Africa.  Kind of reminds me of Xahar's favorite terrorist act.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 07:18:59 AM »

Yep, that's the only place that's ever brought up as an example.  Weird.  You'd think if Christianity was just as bad as Islam to homosexuals you could point to some place else...but nope, always east Africa.  Kind of reminds me of Xahar's favorite terrorist act.
Latin America tends to follow the U.S. lead on toothless documents such as this and I'm not certain Europe generally qualifies as Christian these days. Secular Christian perhaps.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »

Another example is Russia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »

I mean the obvious point is that Islam is going through a very conservative turn that has emanated from the Gulf and spread outwards, especially attracting young activists disillusionmed by the failure of communism, Arab nationalism and western liberalism to sort out life. Better to go down a very reactionary route that idealises a longloat period - Islamism in that regards is hardly distinct from any other escapist idealogy like Objectivism or Marxism. And homophobia is a perfect issue for them because it acts as a foil to the west, which always is a good scapegoat.

Will the Muslim world move on from the reactionary wave? Maybe. I dunno.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »

Latin America tends to follow the U.S. lead on toothless documents such as this and I'm not certain Europe generally qualifies as Christian these days. Secular Christian perhaps.

We're not snake handlers, but I would say that Christian theology are much more acceptable to use in political debate, the people using Christian theology just happen to be on the left, while the right focus on Christianity as a communitarian aspect of European culture. I think the difference between Christianity in USA and Europe, are that American Christianity focus much more on how others should act, while European Christianity focus much more how yourself should act.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »

Most of Eastern Europe and the Christian Caucuses.

Seriously, fundamentalism and traditionalism suck.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

The reason is that most American muslims (less than 1% of population) are high-educated liberals. If you take the same group with christians, it wouldn't make a big difference.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »

Those countries are certainly not kind to gay people, but the first map dead0man posted suggests that they are still not as homophobic as most of the Middle East is.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »

I would think most Muslims who live in the United States experience a completely different culture from the middle east. One in which they are largely discriminated against. So that contributes to them being more tolerant of gays as they know how it feels to be discriminated against.

It is also why I am not anti-refugee. Refugees are wanting to escape terrorism, not bring it with them.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »

But Republicans/blue avatars told me that Islam was more anti-gay than Christianity since they hang gays whereas Christians just try to prevent you from getting married, protecting you from getting fired at work or physically assaulted for being gay, and for allowing people to discriminate against you in their businesses in the name of Jesus. Yeah, Christians: "the loving tolerant" religion for gay people who just want to make your life so miserable that you may be the one to kill yourself. In other words, the Christian response to homosexuality: "it could always be worse!" 
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »

When I was on a trip to Russia this August, young couples kissing in public was a pretty common sight. All straight, of course. Still, in a modern country, traditionalism is not going to survive, so I'm optimistic that homophobia in Eastern Europe and the Caucuses will pass. If the Middle East and Africa catch a break and become less war-torn and more modernized, the same thing will happen there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 07:22:32 PM »

When I was on a trip to Russia this August, young couples kissing in public was a pretty common sight. All straight, of course. Still, in a modern country, traditionalism is not going to survive, so I'm optimistic that homophobia in Eastern Europe and the Caucuses will pass. If the Middle East and Africa catch a break and become less war-torn and more modernized, the same thing will happen there.
The idea that a modern country must be "socially progressive" strikes me as yet another variant of the ludicrous idea that cultures are purely determined by economics.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »

The new ones wont be nearly as accepting.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies