Anyone have links to the last polls on re-legalizing segregation/slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:26:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone have links to the last polls on re-legalizing segregation/slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone have links to the last polls on re-legalizing segregation/slavery?  (Read 1829 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:00:30 AM »

Does anyone have links to the last legit national US polls on re-legalizing segregation and slavery/repealing the 13th-15th amendments?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »

Unless you're a hack who thinks this is such a poll, there probably isn't one.  Modern polling began well after the Reconstruction Era had passed.  You might find some polls on keeping segregation in the 40's to 60's, but unless Gallup has put some of its ancient polls online, I have no idea where you'd find them.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »

Unless you're a hack who thinks this is such a poll, there probably isn't one.  Modern polling began well after the Reconstruction Era had passed.  You might find some polls on keeping segregation in the 40's to 60's, but unless Gallup has put some of its ancient polls online, I have no idea where you'd find them.

You misunderstand.

I'm talking about polls done in the 1990's, 2000's, 2010's.

I remember seeing a poll that 10-20% of Americans want to bring back slavery.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »

They had a poll on interracial marriage not that long ago.  Less than 15% were opposed.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »

They had a poll on interracial marriage not that long ago.  Less than 15% were opposed.

Alabama voted to remove its interracial marriage ban from the state constitution as recently as 2000.

59-41.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »

Alabama voted to remove its interracial marriage ban from the state constitution as recently as 2000.

59-41.
That's embarrassing.

Even worse: http://www.cnn.com/US/9903/12/interracial.marriage/
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:29:59 AM »

59-41.

Why was this change necessary? I thought the Loving case made anti-miscegenation laws illegal in 1967? Was this merely symbolic?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »

59-41.

Why was this change necessary? I thought the Loving case made anti-miscegenation laws illegal in 1967? Was this merely symbolic?

It was symbolic, but also necessary. If Loving had somehow been overturned before 2000, the ban would have been enforced again. Better safe than sorry.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »

59-41.

Yes, it was symbolic.

And yet so many STILL voted against it.

I bet if Gallup or Rasmussen or PPP, or whatever legit polling company, conducted a new poll on slavery and/or segregation... right now... the results would shock a lot of people. I'm betting it's now 20-30%.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:46:11 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 08:54:04 PM by ERM64man »

opinion of brown vs board ruling

Gallup polls from 1964:

People have no idea today how unpopular the Civil Rights movement was...they were basically the SJWs of their time. Hell, if Ben Shapiro was alround back then, he would be calling MLK a cuck
They were not the SJWs of their time. I strongly disagree with that. That is an insult to the Civil Rights Movement. SJW movements today are not at all like the Civil Rights Movement, which was a real freedom movement. It is true the Civil Rights Movement was unpopular, but it wasn't wacky, it was a kind of activism that needs to be commended. There are some good people today who fight for equality who have important legitimate concerns who are not these wacky SJW loons. Anyone who wants to return to segregation or slavery is also a wacky loon; almost nobody supports that, except a few kooks.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »

59-41.

Obviously some parts of the country are more supportive than others.

Also remember that people who vote are disproportionately older and whiter than the general public.  And this was 16 years ago.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »

Mississippi decided to ratify the 13th amendment. In 2013.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/mississippi-officially-abolishes-slavery-ratifies-13th-amendment/
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »

No we did it in the 1990s. We just screwed it up then and had to redo once we realized.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »

59-41.

Yes, it was symbolic.

And yet so many STILL voted against it.

I bet if Gallup or Rasmussen or PPP, or whatever legit polling company, conducted a new poll on slavery and/or segregation... right now... the results would shock a lot of people. I'm betting it's now 20-30%.

I remember this vote quite well. There is an extremely good voter analysis somewhere on line by a grad student. He makes a compelling case that the black vote in favor of the amendment was better than 95 to 5, whereas sadly the white vote was esentially tied. Sad
kyc0705

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »

That's not really much better.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 08:39:38 PM »

59-41.

The counties that voted against it seem generally poorer and whiter than the state as a whole.

Most surprising is that the extremely Republican, wealthier suburban counties (Shelby, Elmore, Baldwin) voted for it. This wasn't strictly a partisan vote.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »

59-41.

The counties that voted against it seem generally poorer and whiter than the state as a whole.

Most surprising is that the extremely Republican, wealthier suburban counties (Shelby, Elmore, Baldwin) voted for it. This wasn't strictly a partisan vote.
Well of course not. I expect wealthier whites would be more likely to either approve of interracial marriage or vote for repealing it to avoid appearing racist.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »

59-41.

I don't find that surprising...
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 03:06:40 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52