Can Democrats be competitive in any of these "dark red" states in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:38:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can Democrats be competitive in any of these "dark red" states in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Can Democrats run a competitive gubernatorial race in any of these red states in 2018?
Tennessee-Yes

Tennessee-No

Alabama-Yes

Alabama-No

Oklahoma-Yes

Oklahoma-No

Kansas-Yes

Kansas-No

Wyoming-Yes

Wyoming-No

Idaho-Yes

Idaho-No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Can Democrats be competitive in any of these "dark red" states in 2018?  (Read 2566 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »

Ugh, when you do these polls you don't need a "Yes" and a "No" for each state. You just need to list all six with a "NOTA" option.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 08:25:03 PM »

Ugh, when you do these polls you don't need a "Yes" and a "No" for each state. You just need to list all six with a "NOTA" option.

It's my poll, and I'll arrange it anyway I please.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »

Kansas only.
ClassiCoolidge
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 01:05:12 AM »

Tennessee. That's if the person has heavy support coming from the Memphis and Nashville areas. Even then I don't think it's possible.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »

In many states for Governor races, individual people are more important than party label. The right person can win a race in any state regardless of party.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »

Why is Oklahoma so unlikely?

They had a Democrat governor before Fallin

Honestly, it's hard to say how certain Southern states will go from here on out. Yes, OK had a Democrat in the gov office prior to 2011, but that was before Obama's election virtually eliminated Democrats as a local political force in the South. They were already on track to lose control but I feel like Obama sped that up and hardened it. Some of these states can be quite uncompromising in their voting patterns.

Of course, since a lot of this happened under a Democratic president that was toxic in many states, perhaps an unpopular Republican president can create an opening. My point is that for all we know, OK could be like TX, where there was no Democrat after Richards despite the persistent success of Democrats prior to her tenure.

-

For the poll - Kansas is the only one I feel comfortable with right now, but not to say definitively that all the others are impossible.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »

I think really only Kansas at this point. Oklahoma and Tennessee are a stretch, but might be possible under the right circumstances.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 05:36:43 AM »

Why is Oklahoma so unlikely?

They had a Democrat governor before Fallin

Honestly, it's hard to say how certain Southern states will go from here on out. Yes, OK had a Democrat in the gov office prior to 2011, but that was before Obama's election virtually eliminated Democrats as a local political force in the South. They were already on track to lose control but I feel like Obama sped that up and hardened it. Some of these states can be quite uncompromising in their voting patterns.

Of course, since a lot of this happened under a Democratic president that was toxic in many states, perhaps an unpopular Republican president can create an opening. My point is that for all we know, OK could be like TX, where there was no Democrat after Richards despite the persistent success of Democrats prior to her tenure.

-

For the poll - Kansas is the only one I feel comfortable with right now, but not to say definitively that all the others are impossible.

+1. The same (essentially) happened at almost the same time in Arkansas and West Virginia, which went "hard Republican right" at about 2009-10 (even local, much more conservative, then national, Democrats suddenly became almost "unelectable"). Yes, Beebe held a governorship for Democrats for a while, but this was HIS personal achievement  (as a pragmatic moderate conservative), not party's. Approximately at the same time (2008-2013) we see mass switching of white Democratic legislators in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, which were already Republican on most levels, and abandoning by them of "new, black Democratic party" (they are essentially correct saying "it's not the party i grew in", because until 1990th at least state Democratic parties in most of the South were still mostly white and mostly conservative). These states will not come back next 30 years, and when they will - it will be via different political coalitions in very different (in all, but name) states...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies