Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump  (Read 4576 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
« edited: December 27, 2016, 02:18:35 PM by pppolitics »

Men with long beards and Christian values center the most geographically divisive show in the data set. “Duck Dynasty,” a reality show on A&E, follows the over-the-top lives of a Louisiana family that makes the Duck Commander duck call.

It is the prototypical example of a show that is most popular in rural areas. The correlation between fandom and the percentage of people who voted for Mr. Trump was higher for “Duck Dynasty” than it was for any other show.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/duck-dynasty-vs-modern-family-television-maps.html
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »

Basically this election was a proxy match between Modern Family and Duck Dynasty.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »

I like this part:

If you had to guess how strongly a place supported Donald J. Trump in the election, would you rather know how popular 'Duck Dynasty' is there, or how George W. Bush did there in 2000? It turns out the relationship with the TV show is stronger.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »

Woah woah woah I just read that 98% of The Decemberists fans voted for Bernie and later Clinton! Gee whiz!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »

"Shows most common in the extended Black Belt:

SpongeBob SquarePants"
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

I hate television.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

I like this part:

If you had to guess how strongly a place supported Donald J. Trump in the election, would you rather know how popular 'Duck Dynasty' is there, or how George W. Bush did there in 2000? It turns out the relationship with the TV show is stronger.

As I have said, conservativism is not about policy or a coherent ideology—it is almost entirely cultural.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

What's with Once Upon a Time being so popular with Mormons?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2016, 03:37:53 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Disgusting. No Trump supporter I know watches this garbage. It just so happens that the stupid Evangelicals live in those places. That's not what Trump represents. He represents New York Republican values.

The only 'rural shows' that I am convinced have an audience are Cake Boss and that season of Dancing with the Stars with Bristel Palin
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2016, 04:27:28 PM by realisticidealist »

Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, So You Think You Can Dance, AFHV, Mythbusters, and The Tonight Show also all do well with Mormons. SYTYCD and AFHV are no-brainers for Mormon support, but it appears Mormons have a thing for fairy tales/fantasy/supernatural type shows that aren't "too edgy" for them like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
seb_pard
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »

Basically this election was a proxy match between Modern Family and Duck Dynasty.
Actually it was Family Guy vs Duck Dynasty
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »

Trump supporters I know are all urban folk. They know that deep down Trump is a New York LIBERAL and that's why they voted for him over the corrupt degenerate witch.

I agree with Smilo 100%. Trump represents New York Republican values.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »

Disgusting. No Trump supporter I know watches this garbage. It just so happens that the stupid Evangelicals live in those places. That's not what Trump represents. He represents New York Republican values.

Get lost. Tongue 

(Granted, I'm not a huge DD fan, but it's still a cool show)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »

So me, with my appreciation for both DD and MF (haven't seen either in ages)...ha, guess I'm the most moderate dude on Atlas and not a hack after all.

Oh, and since I'm watching Adventure Time while I wait for the other shows to return, I guess that puts some regional oomph in as well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 08:49:04 PM »

"Oh, really!?"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 10:23:52 PM »

Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, So You Think You Can Dance, AFHV, Mythbusters, and The Tonight Show also all do well with Mormons. SYTYCD and AFHV are no-brainers for Mormon support, but it appears Mormons have a thing for fairy tales/fantasy/supernatural type shows that aren't "too edgy" for them like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

http://kutv.com/news/local/why-do-mormons-really-love-star-wars-and-science-fiction-so-much

Also not surprised Mormons like nice guy Jimmy Fallon, esp if they're watching him instead of edgy Colbert or sinful Kimmel.

due to Modern Family being very much a white person show.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »

I like this part:

As I have said, conservativism is not about policy or a coherent ideology—it is almost entirely cultural.

But it wasn't in 2000, it just magically flipped.  Yeah.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »

Whoa, color me shocked. Next you're going to tell me that people who prefer coffee to iced tea supported Clinton...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 11:17:14 PM »

Whoa, color me shocked. Next you're going to tell me that people who prefer coffee to iced tea supported Clinton...

Can this forum stop pretending like loving coffee is a liberal thing (as if these things can be liberal or conservative in the first place)?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »

I wish they did a map for The Office and Mad Men.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »

You know, insulting the people who just elected your candidate is probably not the best way to build a stable governing coalition. Those "stupid Evangelicals" are many of the "deplorables" Trump is ostensibly the voice for.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »

http://kutv.com/news/local/why-do-mormons-really-love-star-wars-and-science-fiction-so-much

Also not surprised Mormons like nice guy Jimmy Fallon, esp if they're watching him instead of edgy Colbert or sinful Kimmel.

due to Modern Family being very much a white person show.

I ain't White and I love the show.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »

You know, insulting the people who just elected your candidate is probably not the best way to build a stable governing coalition. Those "stupid Evangelicals" are many of the "deplorables" Trump is ostensibly the voice for.

Indeed.

According to NYTimes exit polls, 81% of white Evangelicals voted for Trump (26% of the electorate) compared to 35% of the remaining 74% of the electorate.  Some basic arithmetic tells us about 45% of Trump voters were Evangelicals, a figure that would easily be higher if one excludes the Northeast, which might explain smilo's distinct experience here.  Of course, as seen in the IQ thread, the narratives we construct are far more about what we desire to be true than the actual reality. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 02:12:26 AM »

Greenfield--which is rural-ish and white-liberal-but-with-a-post-industrial-vibe--likes NCIS, Bones, and The Daily Show and doesn't care for Duck Dynasty, Love & Hip Hop, or The Voice.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies