Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Duck Dynasty viewerships strongly correlate with votes for Donald Trump  (Read 4575 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »

Duck Dynasty is a pale shadow of its former self, that deserves to be shot from long distance with a 22, gutted, and sent to a local taxidermist to be stuffed and put on exhibit as an example of one of the worst meltdown ever in the history of cable reality TV shows.

I confess that I was one of the regular viewers for their first four seasons or so, along with my wife and many friends and family members....

It was essentially fun low-brow redneck humor, but still entertaining television, and although not an evangelical was still fine with the family doing their pre-dinner prayers and all that, since it wasn't an integral part of the show.

When "Grandpa Duck" went ape-crap crazy and ranted about how good life was on the plantations under slavery their ratings collapsed dramatically.

Next stunt the family does is to try to double-down by cozying up to Republican Presidential candidates and appearing at party conventions, to try to boost their slumping ratings and lack of new ideas and content in their show.

Despite all of this, the show somehow managed to go from over 11 Million ratings to 1.3 Million in ratings, and fans still wonder why the shut is getting mothballed (Or whatever it is that Taxidermists do to maintain Duck corpses)....

Time to stuff the duck, and although I don't know what Season the graph above is from, regardless in most cases even in very small population and rural counties you are likely talking about a literal handful of people watching in someone's living room, or maybe 200 viewers in a county of 50,000.

I would be much more interested in looking at a county graph for viewers of "The Voice" , "American Idol", "The Bachelor", or "Dancing with the Stars", that are actually shows that Americans watch, the the encrusted entrails of some dead duck former dynasty....

Did I mention, it looks like the show is being gutted because of low ratings?

http://newsbake.com/entertainment-news/tv/breaking-duck-dynasty-cancelled-ratings-decline/
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 02:17:04 AM »

It's unbelievably depressing that literally every show mentioned in your post is reality TV, unless that was part of your point.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:43 AM »

Disgusting. No Trump supporter I know watches this garbage. It just so happens that the stupid Evangelicals live in those places. That's not what Trump represents. He represents New York Republican values.

You know, insulting the people who just elected your candidate is probably not the best way to build a stable governing coalition. Those "stupid Evangelicals" are many of the "deplorables" Trump is ostensibly the voice for.

Indeed.

According to NYTimes exit polls, 81% of white Evangelicals voted for Trump (26% of the electorate) compared to 35% of the remaining 74% of the electorate.  Some basic arithmetic tells us about 45% of Trump voters were Evangelicals, a figure that would easily be higher if one excludes the Northeast, which might explain smilo's distinct experience here.  Of course, as seen in the IQ thread, the narratives we construct are far more about what we desire to be true than the actual reality. 

I love the Evangelicals. They just need to get culturally in tune with New York.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »

It's unbelievably depressing that literally every show mentioned in your post is reality TV, unless that was part of your point.

If you are referring to my point, yes it was deliberate.....

The Trumpster ran as a reality TV superstar, but yet much of the audience (and most coveted rating demographics) are Millennials that aren't big fans at all....

Tons of Americans watch reality TV shows, and Duck Dynasty was a flagship show for A&E that has become a major profit-loss, instead of the profit-center that it was in the first few seasons.

Not only do few advertisers want to touch the show because of the controversial statements made by "Grandpa Duck" and a few of the Brothers on the show, but the audience no longer is interested in watching a piece of c**p programming that has long outlived it's natural lifespan, and has absolutely nothing remaining in the way of originality or drama, unlike their first few seasons....

Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone watches the show anymore and even that it was still recently on television.... give me some Househunters or a new season of Real Housewives of "fill in the blank" and I'll spend time on Atlas, while looking over once in awhile when my wife has them on the TV.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »

If you are referring to my point, yes it was deliberate.....

The Trumpster ran as a reality TV superstar, but yet much of the audience (and most coveted rating demographics) are Millennials that aren't big fans at all....

Tons of Americans watch reality TV shows, and Duck Dynasty was a flagship show for A&E that has become a major profit-loss, instead of the profit-center that it was in the first few seasons.

Not only do few advertisers want to touch the show because of the controversial statements made by "Grandpa Duck" and a few of the Brothers on the show, but the audience no longer is interested in watching a piece of c**p programming that has long outlived it's natural lifespan, and has absolutely nothing remaining in the way of originality or drama, unlike their first few seasons....

Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone watches the show anymore and even that it was still recently on television.... give me some Househunters or a new season of Real Housewives of "fill in the blank" and I'll spend time on Atlas, while looking over once in awhile when my wife has them on the TV.

True. It was a huge deal back in 2012-2013. Shortly after Phil Robertson made controversial comments I went to a store and they had to put Duck Dynasty stuff on 50% discounts. This was in rural Texas mind you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »

What's with Once Upon a Time being so popular with Mormons?

Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, So You Think You Can Dance, AFHV, Mythbusters, and The Tonight Show also all do well with Mormons. SYTYCD and AFHV are no-brainers for Mormon support, but it appears Mormons have a thing for fairy tales/fantasy/supernatural type shows that aren't "too edgy" for them like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

http://kutv.com/news/local/why-do-mormons-really-love-star-wars-and-science-fiction-so-much

Also not surprised Mormons like nice guy Jimmy Fallon, esp if they're watching him instead of edgy Colbert or sinful Kimmel.

Basically this election was a proxy match between Modern Family and Duck Dynasty.
Actually it was Family Guy vs Duck Dynasty

due to Modern Family being very much a white person show.

I ain't White and I love the show.

More precisely: Modern Family has a clear negative correlation with areas with black and Am Indian majorities, and a clear positive correlation with areas with a lot of white Democrats, similar to The Daily Show.  Family Guy on the other hand has a positive correlation with both.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

I would have said NASCAR.

I remember Dale Earnhardt Jr once said that NASCAR fans are the most loyal people on the planet.

As a result, i just thought they would prefer Trump.

Low amounts of pòlitically correct BS and a focus on results.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »

Basically this election was a proxy match between Modern Family and Duck Dynasty.

I'm inclined to agree with this...
James Monroe

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »

Wonder how those who have watch  The Apprentice turnout in this election.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:09 PM »

That map makes me feel strange. I hardly watch TV, but I do watch It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I don't fit the urban demographic at all.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »

I wonder what the map would be like for Stephen Colbert's Late Show, SportsCenter, The Office, Mad Men, House of Cards, and Fuller House
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »

I also find it completely unsurprising that Orange is the New Black is a white person show.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »

It's of course utterly depressing that Duck Dynasty has the strongest correlation with T***p vote, but the fact that the show that correlates most strongly with Clinton vote is Family Guy is honestly even more sickening to me. I have the feeling that this explains a lot of what's wrong with American political culture.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »

YES!

This completely proves my point about how Family Guy is in fact a strong progressive show.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »

YES!

This completely proves my point about how Family Guy is in fact a strong progressive show.

And completely fails in proving that South Park isn't one!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »

YES!

And that American progressivism is rotten to its core.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »

This also confirms what I already knew, that minorities aren't offended by Family Guy's racial humor. Here Asians and Hispanics LOVE the show.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »

This also confirms what I already knew, that minorities aren't offended by Family Guy's racial humor. Here Asians and Hispanics LOVE the show.

Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »

At first I thought it was about these ducks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1v_EcjeIkg
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »

YES!

What's wrong with Family Guy?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »

I love that the bulk of South Park's popularity is west of the Mississippi.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »

Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »

YES!

- Crass, gimmicky humor.
- Utterly unlikable and uninteresting characters.
- A drawing style that makes your eyes bleed.
- Mindless strawmanning and othering of anything and anyone not conforming with the postmaterialist liberal orthodoxy passed off as "satire".
- The utter lack of any semblance of moral reflection beyond destructive nihilistic snark.

Do I need to go on?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »

YES!

- Crass, gimmicky humor.
- Mindless strawmanning and othering of anything and anyone not conforming with the postmaterialist liberal orthodoxy passed off as "satire".
- The utter lack of any semblance of moral reflection beyond destructive nihilistic snark.

Do I need to go on?

ANIMAL ABUSE! HAHA, VERY FUNNY!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

How does that apply to Sneakers O'Toole?
That's kind of the point
Also worth noting the unlikable characters is not something there from the start, Brian used to be a pretty likeable character for example until he basically turned into Seth's personal mouthpiece and a lot of fans turned on him.

It's simplistic, whatever. No worse than The Simpsons.

This makes me think you've come to this conclusion more from reading conservative reviews of it than actually watching the show.

Erm, OK? Does every show need to have cheesy morals tacked on?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies