Rulings on Bono v. Atlasia 2.0 (Part 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Rulings on Bono v. Atlasia 2.0 (Part 2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rulings on Bono v. Atlasia 2.0 (Part 2)  (Read 1390 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:20:30 PM »
« edited: July 17, 2005, 04:59:47 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

X.  The Fair Wage Act

The plaintiff's claim rests largely on the interpretation what "a
single market where competition is free and undistorted" means in Article I Section 5 Clause 4.  The plaintiff's assertion that this means the Federal Government may not engage in any act that affects the economy is an absurdity as it would essentially mean that the government could do nothing as any action it undertakes will have an effect on the economy.  In the context of the rest of the constitution it is clear that the intent of the clause is to prevent the government from undertaking actions intended to favor one area of Atlasia over another.

The defendant's assertion that wages are established by contracts and thus Article I Section 5 Clause 6 applies would imply that the government has an unlimited power under that clause to limit the types of contracts private parties may engage in.  We are not prepared to accept that such a broad grant of power was intended.  The government may not interfere in private contracts at will.

The crux of the issue lies in the definition of labor itself.  The argument has been made that the Federal Government may regulate labor by recognizing labor as an “item of commerce” under Article I Section 5 Clause 9.  We disagree.  Labor is not a tradable good, and one may not own the right to another’s labor as their property.  The Federal Government may only regulate items of commerce under Article I Section 5 Clause 9, not all commerce itself.  Therefore this act’s regulation of wages is unconstitutional.

---Justices KEmperor and JFK for the majority, Justice Ernest dissenting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »

No more minimum wage?  It is a conservative dream come true.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 04:27:29 PM »

No more minimum wage?  It is a conservative dream come true.

No federal minimum wage.  The regions are free to do as they like.  They could even institute an Opebo $15 one if they want.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 04:29:14 PM »

ilikeverin (4:27:38 PM): so, let's see, we're saying no minimum wage and rich people can apply for welfare?
KEmperor3 (4:27:44 PM): yep
KEmperor3 (4:27:46 PM): kind of
ilikeverin (4:27:48 PM): hmm
ilikeverin (4:27:50 PM): how lovely
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 04:47:15 PM by Justice Ernest »

While I agree with the majority in their interpretation of the impact of Clauses 4 annd 6 of Article I Section 5 of the Constitution upon the constitutionality of thus Act, I unreservedly disagree with their interpretation of the effect of Article I Section 5 Clause 9.

The assertion that labor is not an item of commerce made by the majority depends upon the mistaken assumption that because of its lack of tangibility it somehow cannot be owned.  There are diverse varieties of intangible property such as patents, corporate shares, and in particular: labor.  The contract between an employee and an employer for the provision of wages and benefits in exchange for labor is clearly a transfer of the employee's labor to the employer who directs and controls what is done with that labor.  Therefore labor is clearly an item of commerce and thus it is within the purview of the Senate under Article I Section 5 Clause 9 to establish minimum standards for that item of commerce.  Setting a minimum economic value for tradable labor is clearly one particular means of establishing such a standard and thus a law setting a minimum wage such as The Fair Wage Act is constitutional.

-- Justice Ernest in dissent.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:45:16 PM »

Hey, nice ruling guys. Having no minimum wage is the greatest idea I've heard all day [/sarcasm]
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »

Hey, nice ruling guys. Having no minimum wage is the greatest idea I've heard all day [/sarcasm]

And now the rich can apply for welfare. Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 04:57:39 PM »

Very interesting ruling, although I can't say that I agree with it. I am in accord with Justice Ernest's dissent about labor as a part of commerce.

I would have thought that if the Supreme Court did indeed choose to strike down minimum wage laws, it would have relied on the liberty of contract doctrine, rather than the premise that labor is not an article of commerce.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »

Very interesting ruling, although I can't say that I agree with it. I am in accord with Justice Ernest's dissent about labor as a part of commerce.

I would have thought that if the Supreme Court did indeed choose to strike down minimum wage laws, it would have relied on the liberty of contract doctrine, rather than the premise that labor is not an article of commerce.

The second paragraph does indeed cover liberty of contract.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »

The constitution explicitly says item of commerce, not article of commerce and we didn't feel that labour could be considered an item of commerce.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 05:38:09 PM »

The constitution explicitly says item of commerce, not article of commerce and we didn't feel that labour could be considered an item of commerce.

So, in other words, if the Constitution were amended to say "article of commerce", a minimum wage would be legal for the Senate to create and the court would uphold it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 05:41:45 PM »

So, in other words, if the Constitution were amended to say "article of commerce", a minimum wage would be legal for the Senate to create and the court would uphold it.

The Court will not comment on such hypotheticals.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 06:57:10 PM »

Well I knew this was going to happen all I have to say is at least this thread hasn't become one long rant that has been going on for three pages. I expect that will come soon. Well if people want a minimum wage to continue I would suggest they write up an initiative or a bill in their respective region to provide a minimum wage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies