Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?  (Read 3357 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »

Castro should try for Governor of Texas in 2018 or try to unseat Cruz.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »

Harris is decent but then again she has support from establishment figures.

THE HORROR
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »

Julian Castro was wiped off consideration for VEEP because of ethics issue. Non-starter.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 08:13:50 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2016, 08:17:34 PM by MT Treasurer »

Castro should try for Governor of Texas in 2018 or try to unseat Cruz.

He'd lose both races in a landslide, especially the gubernatorial race. I could see Abbott winning 45% of Hispanic males, even against Castro.

OOC, how well did Abbott do among Hispanics in the 2014 race?

CNN's Exit poll shows him winning Hispanic men by 1 (49-48) and losing Hispanic women by 21 (39-61), so a total loss of 11 points (44-55), which is still not bad at all. Cornyn apparently won Hispanics by 1 (49-48), although that's probably a bit too GOP-friendly. Still not a bad showing for the GOP. Abbott now seems to relatively popular among Hispanics, he had commanding leads in a poll that showed Trump only leading by 6 in Texas.

Greg Abbott (R, inc.): 57%
Julian Castro (D): 28%

Greg Abbott (R, inc.): 57%
Wendy Davis (D): 32%

Abbott approval: 54/30 (+24)
Castro favorability: 24/32 (-8)
Davis favorability: 31/43 (-12)

Whites: 72% Abbott/19% Castro, 75% Abbott/20% Davis
Hispanics: 45% Castro/44% Abbott, 43% Davis/41% Abbott
Blacks: 46% Castro/12% Abbott, 75% Davis/7% Abbott

Link.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »

Well, they did a terrible job this year. Can you really say Obama and Biden endorsing McGinty was the best choice?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 09:06:58 PM »

I KNOW!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 09:17:32 PM »

Well, I was a supporter of the establishment candidate and was pretty anti-Bernie myself, but it turns out Jimmy Dore and others were correct. Hillary couldn't motivate liberals to turn out.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:57 PM »

Well, I was a supporter of the establishment candidate and was pretty anti-Bernie myself, but it turns out Jimmy Dore and others were correct. Hillary couldn't motivate liberals to turn out.
That doesn't mean any who "the establishment" likes is toxic heck "the establishment" like Obama in 08
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 10:12:59 PM »

I don't really hear Castro being brought up without the context of his race, which may be due to a lack of charisma or talent in public speaking. Booker on the other hand is a much better speaker in my opinion, and his race isn't inherently that important of a factor.
I've seen many bring up Castro as charismatic and a good speaker I think his race being brought up has more to due with Trump

His race was being brought up long before Trump as a parallel to Obama, and others may think he has charisma but I don't personally feel he's anything special.

Then may I ask why you chose the username Castro2020?  Were you talking about Juaquin, or did you mean it to be ironic?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 10:13:58 PM »

Well, they did a terrible job this year. Can you really say Obama and Biden endorsing McGinty was the best choice?

Considering how close that race ended up, that actually turned out much better than it had any right to.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 10:25:48 PM »

In all honesty if Trump has a record to run on that's not lgood and Castro has a more progressive vp like Warren/Franken/Feingold/or even Bernie himself as his vp why would Castro not do good
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »

Considering how close that race ended up, that actually turned out much better than it had any right to.

You don't think Sestak would have done a little better?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »

In all honest F-him Pat Toomey would of never beaten Specter so it's his fault that seat is red in the first place
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »

In all honest F-him Pat Toomey would of never beaten Specter so it's his fault that seat is red in the first place

Specter was polling worse and Sestak only lost by 2 points in a Republican wave year.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »

Specter was polling worse and Sestak only lost by 2 points in a Republican wave year.
On please Specter is an icon he would of never lost to Pat losing in a primary right after you've switched parties is alot easier then a regular senate race 
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »

I don't really hear Castro being brought up without the context of his race, which may be due to a lack of charisma or talent in public speaking. Booker on the other hand is a much better speaker in my opinion, and his race isn't inherently that important of a factor.
I've seen many bring up Castro as charismatic and a good speaker I think his race being brought up has more to due with Trump

His race was being brought up long before Trump as a parallel to Obama, and others may think he has charisma but I don't personally feel he's anything special.

Then may I ask why you chose the username Castro2020?  Were you talking about Juaquin, or did you mean it to be ironic?

I think I had been browsing the Election What-ifs? Board for a while before I registered, and I mainly meant it to be predictive of the future, rather than indicative of support. My early thinking, before I fully jumped into the rabbit hole of deep political analysis, was that Clinton/Castro would win in 2016, Clinton wouldn't seek a 2nd term, and VP Castro would run. I decided to shed the 2020 part of my name a while ago and just go generally by Castro, not referring to any particular person but myself.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 11:43:20 PM »

Maybe it'll take two losses to Trump for Democrats to learn their lesson.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 11:44:19 PM »

We need to purge racists like ShadowOfTheWave from the party. They can go join Trump if they want.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »

Yeah we need to stop this "identity politics" and pick a guy for being white and country like Bullock or Bel Edwards cause that's not "identity politics"
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:28 AM »

Identity politics is inevitable.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 12:25:52 AM »

Yeah we need to stop this "identity politics" and pick a guy for being white and country like Bullock or Bel Edwards cause that's not "identity politics"

LOL

When did I ever say that?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »

LOL

Maybe not you personally but I've seen so many people say this garbage about Castro being only "identity politics" then in the same breath put up Bullock and Bel Edwards solely for being these folksy white guys especially Bel Edwards
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »

LOL

Maybe not you personally but I've seen so many people say this garbage about Castro being only "identity politics" then in the same breath put up Bullock and Bel Edwards solely for being these folksy white guys especially Bel Edwards

Well obviously John Bel Edwards is overrated too. I have no problem with a black gay Jewish woman or whatever, but they'd better be a good candidate who talks about the issues, rather than attacking people based upon their identity. See Hillary for an example of what not to do.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2016, 01:21:59 AM »

LOL

It's not garbage though. Castro's only "merits" are that he's "Latino, young, and charismatic." If you ignore those things, he's just an empty suit who's accomplished little to nothing throughout his entire career. At least JBE is a Governor, veteran, and a former representative. He has an actual legislative career that I can look at. If people are putting up Bullock and Bel Edwards "solely for being these folksy white guys," then yes, I agree that it's just as stupid.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »

LOL

Can't speak for others, but I personally have never suggested Bel Edwards, who I think would be terrible. I only once suggested Bullock as VP to a potential Heinrich candidacy, an idea based on it being a western ticket to help solidify the swing area where Hillary did best this year, not because they were folksy white guys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies