Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:07:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Julian Castro takes shots at Trump: 2020 talking points?  (Read 3351 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 01:53:23 AM »

There's much more talent among ethnic minorities in politics than the Right might want to think. These people honor formal education, and after having four years of a President who talks as if marginally literate, Americans might want something different.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »

Castro is young, a dynamic speaker, and doesn't have any major ideological differences with the party. There, I just gave three reasons to support him that don't involve his ethnicity.

I don't actually support him though.

Anyway, this idea that Democrats should abandon "identity politics" is absurd. Identity politics is the only way to win elections--intentionally appealing to specific groups in the electorate. That's how things have been done as long as there have been elections, and it's how Obama won. Clinton just did a really terrible job of it.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 02:24:05 AM »

Maybe it'll take two losses to Trump for Democrats to learn their lesson.
Yeah we need to stop this "identity politics" and pick a guy for being white and country like Bullock or Bel Edwards cause that's not "identity politics"

LOL

When did I ever say that?
Maybe not you personally but I've seen so many people say this garbage about Castro being only "identity politics" then in the same breath put up Bullock and Bel Edwards solely for being these folksy white guys especially Bel Edwards

It's not garbage though. Castro's only "merits" are that he's "Latino, young, and charismatic." If you ignore those things, he's just an empty suit who's accomplished little to nothing throughout his entire career. At least JBE is a Governor, veteran, and a former representative. He has an actual legislative career that I can look at. If people are putting up Bullock and Bel Edwards "solely for being these folksy white guys," then yes, I agree that it's just as stupid.

But that isn't true when you look at his time as mayor of San Antonio it's actually quite good. It was one of only 2 major cities not to be hurt by the recession of 08, tourism reached an all time high, got a lot of infrastructure projects done, and before someone says "the mayor of  San Antonio doesn't have power like the NYC mayor does and the city council really runs the city" he sat on the council before being mayor and a lot of those infrastructure projects can be credited to him.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:25 AM »

Either you succumb to white identity politics, or you lose in 2020. It's that simple. Castro has ZERO chance at 2020. He isn't even well respected in TX anymore.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »

Either you succumb to white identity politics, or you lose in 2020. It's that simple. Castro has ZERO chance at 2020. He isn't even well respected in TX anymore.

LOL. Embracing white identity politics would permanently destroy the Democratic party.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »

Did Obama win WI, PA, MI because of the Identity politics? These all have less than 15% Blacks. Noway could Obama win this without doing very VERY well among whites.

And If Identity politics with huge minority win was the key then Dems would win Louisiana, Mississpi, Alabama, SC, etc. These all have huge Black people as % of population.

You had a racist like Trump who led the birther, called Mexican rapists & he did at par or better than Romney in Hispanic & Black vote vs Clinton. The more "Identity" politics you try to do the more, you will lose.

If you do intentional "Identity" politics, you will polarize the white vote like in the South & forever kill any chance of the Dem winning the White House again.

How old are you people?

Personally, I think Trump will break Castro like a boy?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

LOL. Embracing white identity politics would permanently destroy the Democratic party.
Yeah LOL. Because Sanders was totally unpopular and destroyed the Democratic party right
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »

Yeah LOL. Because Sanders was totally unpopular and destroyed the Democratic party right
Bernie Sanders embaces white identity politics?!?! Are you high!?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »

Bernie "when you're white, you don't what it's like to be poor" Sanders was playing white identity politics? Are you drunk? The only Democrat that pandered to whites was Jim Webb.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »

Castro just irks me. I know people don't like hearing the "identity politics" accusations but I don't see any substance in the guy beyond being Hispanic.

I have no doubt the Democratic primaries are going to be competitive in 2020, and honestly if Castro can't differentiate himself from "I'm a Latino, vote for me", then he's not going anywhere.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »

Castro just irks me. I know people don't like hearing the "identity politics" accusations but I don't see any substance in the guy beyond being Hispanic.

I have no doubt the Democratic primaries are going to be competitive in 2020, and honestly if Castro can't differentiate himself from "I'm a Latino, vote for me", then he's not going anywhere.

If he creates a palpable vision that resonates with people in 2020 that could be good enough. What were Trump's qualifications besides just that?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »

If he creates a palpable vision that resonates with people in 2020 that could be good enough. What were Trump's qualifications besides just that?

Trump was a billionaire real-estate mogul who was also a reality TV star with 100% name recognition. Castro is just an empty suit.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »

Trump was a billionaire real-estate mogul who was also a reality TV star with 100% name recognition. Castro is just an empty suit.
This really getting to be an annoying phrase someone like Tom Wolf is "an empty suit" Castro and Booker have plenty of personality when you see them on interviews you just don't like them because they aren't outspoken progressives 
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »

Yes, he did. His entire base was white
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2016, 02:29:43 PM »

Booker have plenty of personality when you see them on interviews you just don't like them because they aren't outspoken progressives 

No one cares if he can give a good interview. There is nothing extraordinary about the way Castro speaks. Why do you like him specifically besides the fact that he's young, Latino, and charismatic? He has a "progressive" agenda? Hillary had a "progressive" agenda and it didn't help her much. I would even go as far as to disagree with the notion that he has "plenty of personality." I'd argue that he has little to no personality. He's a perfectly groomed and polished politician. It's almost creepy.

Any politician that was strongly associated with Hillary Clinton is going to have a tough time garnering votes from the Sanders wing of this party. Castro is one of those politicians.

He violated the freaking Hatch Act in order to tout Hillary Clinton for Christ's sake!

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »

Booker have plenty of personality when you see them on interviews you just don't like them because they aren't outspoken progressives 

No one cares if he can give a good interview. There is nothing extraordinary about the way Castro speaks. Why do you like him specifically besides the fact that he's young, Latino, and charismatic? He has a "progressive" agenda? Hillary had a "progressive" agenda and it didn't help her much. I would even go as far as to disagree with the notion that he has "plenty of personality." I'd argue that he has little to no personality. He's a perfectly groomed and polished politician. It's almost creepy.

Any politician that was strongly associated with Hillary Clinton is going to have a tough time garnering votes from the Sanders wing of this party. Castro is one of those politicians.

He violated the freaking Hatch Act in order to tout Hillary Clinton for Christ's sake!

Oh please he said in an interview he would love to be her vp pick and apologized right after he found out that it was a violation of Hatch
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »

Castro is a former part-time Mayor (of a city where manager does most of the real work) and a low-ranking cabinet Secretary since two and a half years. Not the best resume to run against incumbent President, isn't it? Republicans would destroy him as an empty suit.

Truth is, and I hate saying this, if he were a white dude no one would give him a slightest consideration. And, come on, aren't there any Latino politicians who are more than empty suit? Tom Perez would be much better, especially if he's elected Governor in 2018. Maybe not immediately (that is 2020), but still much more plausible.

The other Castro (Joaquin) would make much more sense too. He's attaining quite a position within the Democratic causus.

Too bad Ken Salazar effectively ended his career by becoming Obama's Secretary of the Interior. Had he stayed on as Senator he'd make a very strong contended IMO.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »

Not on purpose, though.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »

Not on purpose, though.
Yes...it was...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

Not on purpose, though.
Yes...it was...

Sanders did not try to only appeal to white people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »

Not on purpose, though.
Yes...it was...

No wonder he failed viability in the Native areas of Alaska. Oh wait, that was Hillary.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »

Not on purpose, though.
Yes...it was...

Dude you are a clown & a lier. Sanders won states like Hawaii, some of the most diverse. He won black & brown Arabs & Persians. He wont hispanics inc z many states like CO, IL etc & ran Clinton close among hispanics. He did decent among Northen blacks & won the young black vote in most states. He won Asian americans in many many states. He won Native americans in most states including OK.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »

The only reason that so-called identity politics was a factor in the election was because of Trump's rhetoric. 2008 and 2012 were completely different.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:48 AM »

The only reason that so-called identity politics was a factor in the election was because of Trump's rhetoric. 2008 and 2012 were completely different.

What do you mean?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2016, 03:06:35 AM »

Sanders stans are revisionists. Dude's entire base is primarily white. His rhetoric appealed to the white working class. Sanders was a progressive Donald Trump with zero swag
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies