Coal Miners Who Voted for Trump Are Now Terrified to Lose Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:36:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Coal Miners Who Voted for Trump Are Now Terrified to Lose Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coal Miners Who Voted for Trump Are Now Terrified to Lose Obamacare  (Read 2003 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »

Since we all love talking about West Virginia and coal country, I thought this was worth posting here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue Dot Daily
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »

This is good news for WV Democrats although I don't think it will make a difference at the national level.  But Manchin guaranteed his re-election.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »

Yes, but clearly suburban republicans are much more winnable. /s
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

This is good news for WV Democrats although I don't think it will make a difference at the national level.  But Manchin guaranteed his re-election.

Nope. Manchin is probably the Senator who is most happy about the results of the election, but his reelection is far from guaranteed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »

Just because these people are afraid of losing healthcare doesn't mean that they will not vote for Trump again.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »

Just because these people are afraid of losing healthcare doesn't mean that they will not vote for Trump again.
I don't necessarily agree with that, but even if that is the case, there are many other issues, such as expanding social security and raising the minimum wage, where Democrats could win votes over.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »

If all these people indeed lose their health insurance and their lives become far worse because of it over the next 4 years with little respite, and Trump is unable to offer a compelling reason why Republicans and himself shouldn't be held responsible, then many could turn on Republicans in a temporary fit of rage. It's going to be very difficult to pass the buck on this. Kansas is a decent example of how decreasing quality of life attributed to GOP policy can turn reliable Republicans against their party - it wasn't enough in KS 2014 but it came very close, even in a GOP wave year.

On the other hand, even if they turn on Trump, that doesn't necessarily mean they will turn on any and every Republican. However, it's things like this that make it hard for me to see reelection for the orange one.

Also, I'm curious about Manchin here - would he vote to support repeal? If it goes south on the GOP/repeal supporters, he could find himself booted out of office in 2018. All things considered, at least from my point of view, helping repeal PPACA will definitely harm Manchin if coverage rates collapse prior to 2018 midterms.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »

If all these people indeed lose their health insurance and their lives become far worse because of it over the next 4 years with little respite, and Trump is unable to offer a compelling reason why Republicans and himself shouldn't be held responsible, then many could turn on Republicans in a temporary fit of rage. It's going to be very difficult to pass the buck on this. Kansas is a decent example of how decreasing quality of life attributed to GOP policy can turn reliable Republicans against their party - it wasn't enough in KS 2014 but it came very close, even in a GOP wave year.

On the other hand, even if they turn on Trump, that doesn't necessarily mean they will turn on any and every Republican. However, it's things like this that make it hard for me to see reelection for the orange one.

Also, I'm curious about Manchin here - would he vote to support repeal? If it goes south on the GOP/repeal supporters, he could find himself booted out of office in 2018. All things considered, at least from my point of view, helping repeal PPACA will definitely harm Manchin if coverage rates collapse prior to 2018 midterms.
I don't want to be cynical but they'll just blame liberals for there problems even you pointed out despite the obvious horrible job in Kansas Brownback did he still won because these people only care about "god and guns"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

I don't want to be cynical but they'll just blame liberals for there problems even you pointed out despite the obvious horrible job in Kansas Brownback did he still won because these people only care about "god and guns"

To be fair, I did acknowledge that he just barely won. The problem is, Kansas is reliably and deeply Republican, but for Brownback to even skirt that close to a loss in a GOP wave year under an incumbent Democratic president that is unpopular in Kansas, well, that is pretty bad.

You're actually not that wrong on the blame shifting, though. There are studies about this. Partisanship and political identity is deeply embedded, and many diehard partisans will often reject ideas that challenge their views and look elsewhere for an answer. But, even this can only take so much.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »

I imagine they'd become disillusioned from the democratic process altogether before they'd vote for the Democrats.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:07:10 AM »

I don't necessarily agree with that, but even if that is the case, there are many other issues, such as expanding social security and raising the minimum wage, where Democrats could win votes over.
The average American is not a far-left loon.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 01:35:06 AM »

I wouldn't consider a social democracy to be far left nor would I consider it to be loony. As to your point about what the average American believes, many people, including a good number of Republicans, support policies that would help those like coal miners who need health care. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/12/01/republicans-divided-by-income-over-governments-role-in-safety-net-issues/
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:01 AM »

Far left to you is liberal democracy.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »

I imagine they'd become disillusioned from the democratic process altogether before they'd vote for the Democrats.

Many of them were happily voting Democrat at every opportunity just 20 years ago.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »

Since we all love talking about West Virginia and coal country, I thought this was worth posting here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue Dot Daily

Well, they had it coming.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »

Many of them were happily voting Democrat at every opportunity just 20 years ago.
That's because Bill was viewed as a "good old boy" now that we nominated a black guy and made him president they are never coming back.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »

That's because Bill was viewed as a "good old boy" now that we nominated a black guy and made him president they are never coming back.

To be fair WV began moving away from the Democrats when we didn't know who Obama is.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »

Roll Eyes There are Obama-Obama-Trump voters out there, even in WV.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »

Roll Eyes There are Obama-Obama-Trump voters out there, even in WV.

Obama's performance in 2008 was of a generic post-Clinton Democrat. There was a trend, but the massive collapse in 2012 was caused by various factors, such as coal policy.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »

Has Manchin ever made his position on the ACA entirely clear? He wasn't in the Senate yet when it was first passed. Has he stated how he would have voted on it?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »

To be fair, I did acknowledge that he just barely won. The problem is, Kansas is reliably and deeply Republican, but for Brownback to even skirt that close to a loss in a GOP wave year under an incumbent Democratic president that is unpopular in Kansas, well, that is pretty bad.

You're actually not that wrong on the blame shifting, though. There are studies about this. Partisanship and political identity is deeply embedded, and many diehard partisans will often reject ideas that challenge their views and look elsewhere for an answer. But, even this can only take so much.

There are VERY elastic limits to such gullibility though.  Especially in the Fox News/Internet bubble we live in today for info sources. Most people don't fact check their news source. The TV tells them Obamacare was collapsing to begin with and the loss of coverage resulted,  so Pricecare came in to salvage what was left yadda yadda yadda ---sadly close to 90% of the audience will likely accept it as basically true.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »

People so often vote against their own interests and it's a shame. And now, in comes the King of cons, and how many of those voters are going to continue to support him while he pulls the rug right out from under their feet?

People like Trump excel in taking advantage of trusting souls. Sad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies