|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that there are only two genders (male and female), or do you believe that it is a spectrum of sorts?
There are only two genders (R)
There is a spectrum of genders (R)
There are only two genders (D)
There is a spectrum of genders (D)
There is only two genders (I/L/G/O)
There is a spectrum of genders (I/L/G/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Gender: Two or a Spectrum?  (Read 3093 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »

Auto-complete
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2016, 09:54:20 PM by Senator Scott »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sounds like your businessmen could benefit from talking to someone about their gender-related issues.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 09:35:39 PM »

It's not a spectrum, give me a break!  The arrogance of you people who think you can completly reinvent the wheel with something you dreamed up one day in a college classroom.  It is astounding.  You can be a man, or a woman.  You can be a very strange acting boy, but yours still a boy unless you transition, in which case you become a girl.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »

There are only two genders, transgender and intersex are not part of a spectrum, but a combination of the two.
There are people with genitals that aren't make or female, and that don't have XX or XY chromosomes.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »

There are only two genders, transgender and intersex are not part of a spectrum, but a combination of the two.
There are people with genitals that aren't make or female, and that don't have XX or XY chromosomes.

The lack of awareness of this fact among especially conservatives is alarming.
But seriously, why are we even debating about this. Let people do what they want unless it does not violate your basic human rights.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »

There are two genders. There are some people who biologically don't really fit into either.

"androgynous", "bigender" and "gender non confirming" are not genders and no one should be referred to be ze/zir/zirself pronouns.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

This...
It's not a spectrum, give me a break!  The arrogance of you people who think you can completly reinvent the wheel with something you dreamed up one day in a college classroom.  It is astounding.  You can be a man, or a woman.  You can be a very strange acting boy, but yours still a boy unless you transition, in which case you become a girl.
and this:
There are two genders. There are some people who biologically don't really fit into either.

"androgynous", "bigender" and "gender non confirming" are not genders and no one should be referred to be ze/zir/zirself pronouns.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sounds like your businessmen could benefit from talking to someone about their gender-related issues.
Don't rush them! I love my businessmen no matter what xxx
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »

Funny how we're supposed to believe that gender roles shouldn't be ironclad but people should change their sex the minute they "act like the opposite sex."
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 12:25:12 AM »

So that's how a discussion about Tweed's mental state ended up turning into North Carolina results.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 12:33:36 AM »

Funny how we're supposed to believe that gender roles shouldn't be ironclad but people should change their sex the minute they "act like the opposite sex."
?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 01:55:00 AM »

No one ever suggested the latter? Huh
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »

I personally don't care.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 02:45:10 AM »

The ignorance is immense in this place...

Sex and gender are two different things.

Sex is biological, and is determined by what you were born with (i.e what you have down there)

However, gender is physiological, and is determined by what you FEEL you are and how you act, and it is NOTHING to do with what you have.

Things that are biological, and things that are physiological cannot be mixed into one thing.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 03:38:59 AM »

I've never actually heard someone use or go by those pronouns outside Tumblr.  Perhaps Minneapolis is unique in that respect, though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2017, 10:00:51 AM by Spicy Purrito »

The Bible calls those who don't eunuchs, right? So, there are two genders, but also those that are not described as having a gender.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »

I've never actually heard someone use or go by those pronouns outside Tumblr.  Perhaps Minneapolis is unique in that respect, though.
He was being fascetious.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »

I get how the made-up pronouns are silly (although to be honest I've never heard an argument in favor of them) but I don't see what's wrong with calling yourself bigender or whatever.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »

I get how the made-up pronouns are silly (although to be honest I've never heard an argument in favor of them) but I don't see what's wrong with calling yourself bigender or whatever.

TBH the term "bigender" sounds weird and completely nonsensical to me. Not that it matters, of course, since whatever labels people choose to identify themselves with makes absolutely no difference to my life.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »

TBH the term "bigender" sounds weird and completely nonsensical to me. Not that it matters, of course, since whatever labels people choose to identify themselves with makes absolutely no difference to my life.

I mean, if people feel that "bigender" is the best word to describe them, I don't have a problem with that.

I can understand getting annoyed at people who expect others to address them by pronouns other than he/she/they, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »

Considering that gender is mainly the conflation of a variety of physical and personality traits (all of which obviously exist in a continuum) into a single dimension, obviously "spectrum" comes closer.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies