American citizens: where do you stand on Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:52:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American citizens: where do you stand on Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: American citizens: where do you stand on Israel?
1st Choice: 2 states... 2nd Choice: Israel is Democractic... 3rd Choice: Israel is Jewish

1st Choice: 2 states... 2nd Choice: Israel is Jewish... 3rd Choice: Israel is Democratic

1st Choice: Israel is Democratic... 2nd Choice: 2 states... 3rd Choice: Israel is Jewish

1st Choice: Israel is Democratic... 2nd Choice: Israel is Jewish.. 3rd Choice: 2 states

1st Choice: Israel is Jewish... 2nd Choice: Israel is Democratic.. 3rd Choice: 2 states

1st Choice: Israel is Jewish... 2nd Choice: 2 states.. 3rd Choice: Israel is Democratic

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: American citizens: where do you stand on Israel?  (Read 5417 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:41 PM »

There are 3 choices for Israel, as outlined today.

1. The two state-solution, one for Jewish people and one for Arab people, hopefully both democracies

2. One-state solution, Israel is Jewish and not democratic

3. One-state solution, Israel (though the name could change) is democratic and not necessarily Jewish

What's your first choice?

Your second choice?

The worst of these options for you?

Please explain your position.

Cashew
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »

Write in: 3 state solution.

There is not way that Israel will tolerate a truly independent, terrotiorally contiguous Palestine. Instead of bantustans, have Jordan annex the Arab populates areas, while Israel keeps the settlements. Egypt should take back the Gaza strip.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 08:35:43 PM by ERM64man »

1. One secular democratic state for anyone (best)
2. Two states (Israel and Palestine both being secular democratic states for anyone)
3. Jewish state (worst)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:55 PM »

Well....I'm Palestinian-American....I think that should explain my position without triggering anyone here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

It's been since even well before 1947 that a peaceful, democratic, one-state multi-ethnic resolution for Palestine was something more than a pipe dream. So, two-state is my first choice, while which one-state option I list as my second choice depends upon whether I'm being realistic (non-democratic Jewish) or idealistic (democratic).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 09:05:12 PM by Ronnie »

Well....I'm Palestinian-American....I think that should explain my position without triggering anyone here.

It doesn't.  Some Palestinians support a two-state solution, some support one secular state with universal franchise, and some (namely, Hamas and its sympathizers) support throwing all Jews out of Palestine.

I personally support the first option, but wouldn't mind the second insofar as the Jews and Arabs would be willing to live with each other in peace.  Otherwise, I don't think a non-democratic Jewish Israel would last very long.  The PA would eventually collapse, at which point Israel could not really pick up the pieces without massive internal and external backlash.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »

Arguably, Israel has been a non-democratic Jewish state for almost five decades now.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 09:08:51 PM by Ronnie »

Arguably, Israel has been a non-democratic Jewish state for almost five decades now.

Within the Green Line, Israel is a democracy, albeit a flawed one.  If you define Israel to include the West Bank and/or Gaza, then no, it is not.  But I don't think most people define it that way yet.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 09:16:18 PM »

There is not way that Israel will tolerate a truly independent, terrotiorally contiguous Palestine. Instead of bantustans, have Jordan annex the Arab populates areas, while Israel keeps the settlements. Egypt should take back the Gaza strip.

Whoa this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else articulate my own position.

Can someone with a better understanding of the issue describe why this isn't spoken of as an option more often?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:17:15 PM »

Within the Green Line, Israel is a democracy, albeit a flawed one.  If you define Israel to include the West Bank and/or Gaza, then no, it is not.  But I don't think most people define it that way yet.

That's why I said arguably, especially since it's only been in the last decade or two that Israel stopped acting as if it believed that the current situation was a temporary one that would hopefully lead to a peaceful two-state resolution.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:26:01 PM »

This is the only workable situation.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »

Whoa this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else articulate my own position.

Can someone with a better understanding of the issue describe why this isn't spoken of as an option more often?

Because it's unfortunately not an option as long as the Hashemite King keeps an iron grip on Jordan and its Palestinian majority.

However, that country is a demographic time bomb and he's going to get Arab Spring'd sooner or later. If what emerges is a rational Palestinian-led state, the time is right to fuse that state with parts of the West Bank.

Gaza is trickier just because it's such a nightmare pit under Hamas, and I don't think Egypt wants the hassle.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »

One Jewish state. I can't help but think of Athenian direct democracy being forced when I hear "democratic," so it's number two. The Palestinians want the Jews gone just as badly as the Jews want the Palestinians gone, so good luck with a two-state solution.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »

Because it's unfortunately not an option as long as the Hashemite King keeps an iron grip on Jordan and its Palestinian majority.

However, that country is a demographic time bomb and he's going to get Arab Spring'd sooner or later. If what emerges is a rational Palestinian-led state, the time is right to fuse that state with parts of the West Bank.

Gaza is trickier just because it's such a nightmare pit under Hamas, and I don't think Egypt wants the hassle.

I'm afraid I'm not super familiar with the divide between the Palestinians in Jordan and the Hashemites, but I really don't see another way. A one state solution would be a disaster for both parties
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:13 PM »

4. I dont care solution: Let them figure it out on their own
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 09:42:18 PM »

I'm afraid I'm not super familiar with the divide between the Palestinians in Jordan and the Hashemites, but I really don't see another way. A one state solution would be a disaster for both parties

Essentially, they're an Arabian royal family that was favored by the British and was given control of Transjordan when it became an independent country. They're a minority there, and the majority of the country is Palestinian, but they've run the country as a Monarchy since, brutally repressing Palestinian uprisings. It's not very well-known, but Arafat attempted a coup there before moving on to Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September

TLDR, British colonialism is really the cause of most of the problems in the Middle East, but I agree with everything you said about this being the only logical solution.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »

How about the Bosnia and Herzegovina solution?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »

Let me expand on my previous comments, I believe as a Palestinian-originated American, I believe in the right of Palestinian nationhood with Gaza and the West Bank being comprised of that nation with Jerusalem being for both nations as a neutral city.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »

The Palestinians want the Jews gone just as badly as the Jews want the Palestinians gone, so good luck with a two-state solution.

That's true.  At this point, I don't think any talk of a solution itself is feasible at this point and that the region and everyone involved is in for a nonstop clusterfck for at least the next half-century.  But I don't see the final outcome being a one-state solution.

The world would be a nicer place if the whole region just sunk beneath the ocean, honestly.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »

I'm definitely in favor of a two state solution, which will certainly not make everyone happy, but is the best possible compromise. I know it's unlikely that such a compromise can occur any time soon, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't propose and argue for a solution that attempts to address the needs and rights of both Israelis and Palestinians. It's hard to see any long term solution happening in this region, sadly, thanks to how much animosity exists between both sides. And it's not like those of us in America and the West are setting a good example when it comes to putting differences aside.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »

Poll option 3, ideally.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »

Two state solution, preferably, but not the one the anti-Israel clowns like Obama and Kerry claim to support. I firmly believe Israel can be Jewish AND Democratic and it has already been so.

Israel's minority populations contribute so much to Israel's national character. Especially the Druze and Christians. Of course, they also have our brave Arab Muslim warriors as well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:52 PM »

Option #3. But just because I support the rights of Palestine doesn't mean I absolve them of their share of the blame for the violence that plagues the dispute, which is equal if not greater.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:53:13 PM »

We argue from a pretty high privilege hill here.  We're just moving boarders and giving people to different countries as if this were a game of Europa Universalis.  Remember these are real people whose lives will be uprooted.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 12:54:25 AM »

Didn't vote because I'm not American, but for me it's: 1. Two state solution, 2. I'm out, immigration it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies