U.S. hits Russia with new sanctions over election hacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:13:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. hits Russia with new sanctions over election hacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: U.S. hits Russia with new sanctions over election hacks  (Read 1815 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »

How do you think Trump is going to react to this?

He's going to continue to try and deny or minimize it as his fragile psyche can't tolerate the idea that he only won because he was helped by someone more powerful.

We have had digital evidence in the public sphere of where these attacks came from. Samples of the malware (known Rus APT software) and endpoint server addresses embedded in and used by the malware point back to server(s) used by groups either working for, or are, Russian military intelligence. Security researchers and companies like CrowdStrike have monitored said groups for years. I don't think most people really understand this stuff though, so they conveniently ignore it to hold together their own narrative.

The "it really was Russia" case has been beyond reasonable doubt since summer.

The beautiful part of it is how Obama is locking Trump into a dilemma. Either he admits that Russian intelligence tried to help him, or he's forced to openly support Russia against his own intelligence agencies.
He doesn't have to do either. He's not the President right now so he's not the one who has to decide whether or not to take action over this. Therefore he doesn't need to give an opinion as to whether he thinks it happened, and so far he hasn't.

Obama is the president right now and he's taking action today. Once Trump becomes President this will be three weeks in the past and he won't need to discuss it. Whatever action has been taken will have been taken by then
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »

"russia hacked the election" is the pizzagate of the left. all the partisan hacks on both major sides are nothing short of stupid.

Uh, no? Russia or at least Russian-aligned group(s) definitely did hack the DNC/DCCC and the information ended up getting leaked to influence the election. That isn't the same as hacking voting machines and such. I mean, is it liberals or people like you who are having trouble making the distinction? Because there is definitely digital evidence that Russian espionage groups did hack these organizations.

Party over country though, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

"russia hacked the election" is the pizzagate of the left. all the partisan hacks on both major sides are nothing short of stupid.

Uh, no? Russia or at least Russian-aligned group(s) definitely did hack the DNC/DCCC and the information ended up getting leaked to influence the election. That isn't the same as hacking voting machines and such. I mean, is it liberals or people like you who are having trouble making the distinction? Because there is definitely digital evidence that Russian espionage groups did hack these organizations.

The proof for that is chilling right next to Iraq's WMD.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »

In a way, I envy people who can still treat the CIA as a reliable source.
EnglishPete

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »

lets put this in a little perspective. If there was evidence that suggested that the Billy Bush tape had been stolen and leaked by the Chinese communists hoping to avoid a Trump presidency would you be calling for sanctions against China? Somehow I doubt it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2016, 07:36:47 PM by Virginia »

I hope you don't mean me, because that is not what I'm talking about. Not unless you're saying the CIA conspired with CrowdStrike and other independent researchers to put out completely bogus samples & technical analysis reports on the malware and the Russian APT groups who perpetrated this craziness.

lets put this in a little perspective. If there was evidence that suggested that the Billy Bush tape had been stolen and leaked by the Chinese communists hoping to avoid a Trump presidency would you be calling for sanctions against China? Somehow I doubt it.

If a foreign power interfered, then yes, by all means, find a way to punish them. I'd be saying the same thing if the situations were reversed. We can't fking have other countries doing this in our elections.

Look, your guy won. I haven't disputed that. I'd like to address the issue of Russian-aligned groups or perhaps Russian intelligence directly interfering in our election by hacking Democratic Party organizations and leaking data to influence public opinion. It's unbelievable to me that this is even a partisan issue.

What do you mean? There are literally samples of the malware out there for analysis that are from known espionage groups. The malware even reused servers that were used against European governments a year or two ago.

I keep mentioning this, and most of you guys just keep right on ignoring it. I admit it is incredibly frustrating. Perhaps I'll just step back and give up on what is clearly a lost cause. I'm not really convinced anything will change any of your minds, and no doubt you (jfern) will probably just continue to churn out the one-liners regardless.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »

Shut up you Putin lover.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »

So we've moved on from "this is fine" to the "Obama administration becomes a parody of itself" stage.

They're just trying to ensure a smooth transition in the reign of President Puppet von Pussy-grabber.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »

Look, Budapest circa 1956 was pretty sh*tty.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2016, 08:36:22 PM by Bacon! 🔥 »

hi guys i know "truth" is kind of a challenging concept for you people but maybe try paying attention to it for once because there are so many independent analysts who have confirmed and verified that the attacks on the DNC servers and such were committed by Russian-affiliated assets that have been publicly identified for years. I mean I guess you can stick your head in the sand and delude yourself into believing Kremlin propaganda if you really want to but I just want to clarify that your false opinions are literally the information security equivalent to denying something like global warming or the heliocentric model. I guess if you really do love denying objective facts though I hear the Flat Earth Society is looking for new members
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:21 PM »

Extreme salt.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 10:14:02 PM »

hi guys i know "truth" is kind of a challenging concept for you people but maybe try paying attention to it for once because there are so many independent analysts who have confirmed and verified that the attacks on the DNC servers and such were committed by Russian-affiliated assets that have been publicly identified for years. I mean I guess you can stick your head in the sand and delude yourself into believing Kremlin propaganda if you really want to but I just want to clarify that your false opinions are literally the information security equivalent to denying something like global warming or the heliocentric model. I guess if you really do love denying objective facts though I hear the Flat Earth Society is looking for new members

Don't be silly - Flat Eartherism isn't part of the Trumpublican canon. Yet. But you're missing the point and wasting your time.

These people (to be generous) DO NOT THINK. It's not that they're biased. They don't sometimes let their emotions and wishful thinking overrule their better judgement. It's not because evolution, environment, and education have left them vulnerable to mistakes in reasoning. Those things are true of all of us. They're part of being human.

The Trump-cult is done with all of that. They have NO interest or ability to analyze or reconsider their own thoughts. ZERO willingness or understanding that they could be possibly be wrong. Ever. About anything. Even when they do change their so-called minds (like on free trade), they do it without a hint of awareness or acknowledgement. They believe one-hundred percent, whatever Fox News, Right-wing radio, fake-Christian preachers, and now President-elect Pussygrabber tell them, without the slightest whiff of thought. They might as well be zombies. (Armed and organized zombies. Be afraid.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »

Oh yeah, clearly there are no positions in between Putin lover, and wanting to start a new cold war because Russia supposedly hacked some emails that might have been leaked by US and UK citizens.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »

Putin is a manipulative dictator, let's not lose sight of that. This time is was just hacking of emails, next time it could actually be a concerted effort to actually manipulate actual voting results.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 11:51:28 PM »

Do Russian Hacking/Interference Truthers also believe the shootdown of MH17 was actually done by the Ukranian government, for various far-fetched reasons?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:54 AM »

Do Russian Hacking/Interference Truthers also believe the shootdown of MH17 was actually done by the Ukranian government, for various far-fetched reasons?

Jill Stein's running mate did.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:45 AM »

Oh yeah, clearly there are no positions in between Putin lover, and wanting to start a new cold war because Russia supposedly hacked some emails that might have been leaked by US and UK citizens.

But you also de facto supported Putin's candidate and called him the lesser of two evils Bernie's candidate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 12:18:46 AM »

Feels to me like Obama is actively trying to bait Trump into a Logan Act violation.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »

But you also de facto supported Putin's candidate and called him the lesser of two evils Bernie's candidate.

I never supported Trump, but at least he realized it was the 21st century.

https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/260497619862835201
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 12:58:31 AM »

Feels to me like Obama is actively trying to bait Trump into a Logan Act violation.

I don't think so.

You really think he's trying to get Trump to negotiate with Russia or Israel before he takes office?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »

I don't think so.

You really think he's trying to get Trump to negotiate with Russia or Israel before he takes office?

He would do that though.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2016, 03:26:58 PM by Confused Democrat »

I don't know what to make of this.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »

Per usual, BK wins the thread.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »

This moron acts like he's playing the United States in a RTS game rather than leading it in the real world.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

I do. I like neither Putin or Pussygrabber, but Putin played this masterfully from a PR point of view. He basically trolled Obama and said your childish temper tantrum isn't worth responding to because you're a powerless has-been. And Pussygrabber has already shown he's not going to tolerate any facts that cast a scintilla of doubt upon the idea that he won the election all by his lonesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies