Joint Session of Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:52:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Joint Session of Congress
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joint Session of Congress  (Read 2212 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

I thought I'd make a public thread to announce this, along with the PM's that I'll be sending out.

After talks with congressional leaders from both sides of the aisle, and members of my Cabinet there is a clear need to get Congress back to work before the start of the New Year, and sort out the large amounts of pending legislation that we have. Whilst I won't be taking a formal role, as President I will be overseeing the process, and working to coordinate the efforts to bring both houses together.

The plan is for the process to be managed over the IRC chat, with a channel being set up (which I will PM to members) and the rules will be suspended in both the Senate and the House to allow for the fast tracking of legislation on the government threads. The current plan is for the process to begin on Friday 30th, at 3EST and continue until the 31st. I believe that is extraordinary measure is necessary for Atlasia, and necessary for us as we move into the New Year.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2016, 09:21:07 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Sounds great, I'll be there all day tomorrow and on the 31st if anyone has questions before we start.

THE IRC IS #SuperCongress
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »

I don't know if there are more things happening in IRC or outside the boards than before. The threads are not super active. When I read some things are discussed or decided some place else, I feel it's difficult to follow what is going on.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »

I don't know if there are more things happening in IRC or outside the boards than before. The threads are not super active. When I read some things are discussed or decided some place else, I feel it's difficult to follow what is going on.
Perhaps someone could copy-and-paste the IRC logs to the forum afterwards? That would certainly be beneficial to transparency and history alike.

In any case, I'm very excited for this special session - this is a wonderful opportunity to make a lot of progress before the next Congress takes office, and I trust it will not be wasted.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:29 PM »

Perhaps someone could copy-and-paste the IRC logs to the forum afterwards? That would certainly be beneficial to transparency and history alike.

In any case, I'm very excited for this special session - this is a wonderful opportunity to make a lot of progress before the next Congress takes office, and I trust it will not be wasted.

That is the plan. We also plan to post each agreed amendment and the entire bill. I will create a pastebin for each bill, as it is agreed to.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:26 AM »

I am 100% on board with this, and I expect that the rest of the House Federalists will agree.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 03:59:54 AM »

I look forward to attending!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »

Sounds like a good idea--this worked very well when Tmth decided to do it for the Southern Regional Committee.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »

With the power vested in me, by the Nation of Atlasia, and under Article X, Section 2 of the House Rules. I now suspend Articles 3, to allow members to post legislation right into the session. 4, to allow for debate on legislation during the session. 5, to allow for voting inside the session. And 6, to allow for this joint Senate-House session to occur. This period of suspension will begin now at 3:03 EST on December 30th, and last until 11:59PM EST on December 31st.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »

Sounds like a good idea--this worked very well when Tmth decided to do it for the Southern Regional Committee.
And we still meet to this day. Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

Some updates: Congress has passed the marijuana bill.  Senate is currently pending on SB 2016-040.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2016, 07:18:00 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

What we accomplished!

HB 1068 "Ending Federal Marijuana Protecting Act of 2016", Sponsor Scott - TedBessell   AYE, PiT1   Aye, NeverAgain   Aye!, Sirena   Aye, Leinad   Aye, Peebs   aye, RepSG   Aye, Goldwater   AYE PASSES TO PRESIDENT

HB 1069 "The House Seat Reduction Act" - Sponsor Clyde1998 - RepSG   Nay TedBessell   Nay, NeverAgain   Nay, Scott   Aye., Goldwater   NAY, Peebs   Nay, Sirena   Nay, FAILED BACK TO SENATE

SB 1049 "The House Seat Reduction Act" - Sponsor Clyde1998 - NOW VOTING ON ORIGINAL HOUSE VERSION

The New Foreign Relations Review Act was passed and signed by President Blair

SB 1050 "Anti-Terror Coalition Resolution" - Sponsors Cris, Blair, and Tmthforu - PiT1   I'll vote Aye, LLR Aye, Leinad Abstain, Scott: (EMERGENCY) Not Voting PASSED TO PRESIDENT

SB 1051 "Amendment to the Presidential Succession Act of 2016" - Sponsor Peebs - PiT1   Aye, Leinad   Aye, LLR  Aye. PASSED TO PRESIDENT

Thanks to everyone for coming and their support! Woot Woot!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »

Sorry I had to run off early, but everything is fine now.  I don't know when everyone wants to get back together, as I assume there is still unfinished business, but I'd prefer to schedule it after 5 tomorrow because I may or may not be unavailable for part of the afternoon.  Also, I think there were others who said they wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm not sure.  But, in either case, I hope we can find another time that works for everyone.

And I personally had a lot of fun, for what it's worth, so maybe we can consider holding similar events like this to spur activity. Smiley
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »

Sorry I had to run off early, but everything is fine now.  I don't know when everyone wants to get back together, as I assume there is still unfinished business, but I'd prefer to schedule it after 5 tomorrow because I may or may not be unavailable for part of the afternoon.  Also, I think there were others who said they wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm not sure.  But, in either case, I hope we can find another time that works for everyone.

And I personally had a lot of fun, for what it's worth, so maybe we can consider holding similar events like this to spur activity. Smiley

Well, after 5 I'll be in the air. Sorry about not being there much of the time today, but I hope I can participate in these better in the future, they seem great.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »

Maybe some time in the next week would be better, then.  I'm sure there are other people leaving/going to family functions or parties and whatnot this weekend, and if we're going to pass legislation this way, we'd do better to have maximum turnout.  You have the final say on this, NeverAgain.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »

Was my vote on the House reduction amendment not counted?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »

OMG, I'm so sorry, the pastebin must've cut you out. I added you back in tho.

Maybe some time in the next week would be better, then.  I'm sure there are other people leaving/going to family functions or parties and whatnot this weekend, and if we're going to pass legislation this way, we'd do better to have maximum turnout.  You have the final say on this, NeverAgain.

I will be in there after 5pm (and at 3pm). So for anyone that wants to try and debate a couple things or (maybe) vote if we can get enough people. 3pm on is fine by me.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 01:17:46 PM »

Okay, I will be there at 5pm!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

My Presidential duties sadly mean I won't be able to join everyone tonight in the next part of the joint session tonight, but I'll raise a glass to everyone taking part from the comfort of the pub
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »

OMG, I'm so sorry, the pastebin must've cut you out. I added you back in tho.
Hate to be a pain again, but I voted Nay Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies