FL/NC/VA posters - how did your district change?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:27:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FL/NC/VA posters - how did your district change?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL/NC/VA posters - how did your district change?  (Read 230 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »

Before and after, I am in NC-4 (David Price - D). The new CD makes more geographic sense, and while not nearly as Democratic as before, it is still safe.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:11:53 AM »

Before and after what? The judge-ordered redistricting? Well in that case, my district didn't change at all, and it's still far from fair. The 2012 map basically took out the increasingly Democratic enclaves of Prince William out of VA-10 and swapped it with the remaining Republican areas left in the county. Also, the district has these weird "tails" which might have made sense 25 years ago, but to anyone familiar with the modern political landscape of the region, it's a clear case of gerrymandering.

The district trended heavily Democratic, as Clinton won 51-41, but unfortunately, Comstock slithered by.

The top "tail" is filled with highly-educated, extremely wealthy, million-dollar home types, AKA the area most susceptible to swing to Clinton, but they still voted Republican down-ballot. Hopefully someone like Miles can make a map to make this a bit clearer.

Basically, Dems need to work really hard to get the state senate and keep the governor's mansion through 2021 to get a fairer map.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 01:13:08 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 01:29:21 AM by Miles »

^ That.

The top tail was Comstock's legislative seat, which flipped after she vacated it.

The bottom tail includes Manassas, which usually votes similar PW county as a whole (maybe a tick to the right). The Fairfax precincts there are some of the reddest in the county, though.

Overall, HRC did better than I expected in Loudoun County. I thought 10% would be a good result for her, but she won it by 17%.

Honestly, I was considering voting for Comstock. Bennett put waay too much emphasis on social issues, that I disagree with. I thought if Comstock held the seat for several terms and built up seniority, it would be good for the district. But I was assuming Kaine would be VP and she'd run for his seat instead Tongue

I've been meaning to do a Trump/Comstock map of this seat for a while, so I'l look that!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:50:10 AM »

Overall, HRC did better than I expected in Loudoun County. I thought 10% would be a good result for her, but she won it by 17%.

Yeah, that kinda surprised me, and despite basically every suburb trending Democratic (Austin, Houston, Dallas, Metro ATL, RTP, etc.), the size of the swing towards HRC in Loudoun was pretty shocking.

Honestly, I was considering voting for Comstock. Bennett put waay too much emphasis on social issues, that I disagree with. I thought if Comstock held the seat for several terms and built up seniority, it would be good for the district. But I was assuming Kaine would be VP and she'd run for his seat instead Tongue

I agree. While in my opinion Comstock is out of touch with the district on social issues, it's not what drives voters in the area over the issues of economic growth and taxes (Clinton may have destroyed Trump in Fairfax, but the Meals tax still got shot down by a decent margin). Comstock also ran a much more targeted campaign and reached out to the large South Asian and Korean population while Bennett simply didn't have a good pulse on the region.

Comstock could beat Kaine in 2018, but I don't think she'd run in a race where she wouldn't start out favored. She'll probably look to get a chairmanship in Congress instead.

I've been meaning to do a Trump/Comstock map of this seat for a while, so I'l look that!

I would love to see that. Thanks!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »

NC-09 before and after.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length