Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:16:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Did they?
They caused me to vote for Clinton

They caused me to vote for Trump

They caused me to vote for someone else

They caused me to not vote

They had no effect

I can't vote

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?  (Read 2637 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »

A common assertion I see is that Trump won because of discontent with "SJWs." I know Atlas isn't representative, but I wonder if anyone here was so influenced.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »

Not specifically, though annoyance at "SJWs" has probably influence my general political views in some capacity.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

Of course they did. That really turned me away from Stein.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

No, they did not. But had Bernie Sanders won the nomination, I was considering not supporting him due to dislike of them (most Internet SJW were Sanders supporters).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

What's a SJW?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »

Not really, but they made me feel less sympathetic towards Clinton and made me vote for Johnson more enthusiastically.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »

Some of the so-called SJWs, that is who are largely ignoring the economic issues, are part of the problem. There are plenty of those who describe themselves as SJWs who care about these both equally important sides.

And no, I'm not a citizen, but I remained a Democratic supporter despite my misgivings about the nominee
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »

They certainly didn't affect my vote, and I doubt many people went to the voting booth thinking "Hmmm, I'm not sure who to vote for. I know! I'll vote for Trump, since he'll piss off those SJWs the most!" However, I do think that a lot of his supporters liked that he was sort of the antithesis of so-called "PC culture", and I think that some of his success was part of a backlash against what at least a faction of the left has become (and backlashes end up being pretty extreme.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »

It made it a bit more fun, sure, but they had no baring on the actual choice.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

They had no effect at all on how I voted, but I find them annoying. I voted for Gary Johnson. I am basically a NeverTrump moderate Republican who is not affiliated with any party.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »

The borderline SJWs I know influenced me to vote for Hillary. They weren't the deciding factor, but I probably would've been more inclined to vote for Jill Stein if she weren't crazy, and if my friends hadn't hammered into my head how importance it was to vote for Hillary.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »

They are one of a multitude of factors that caused me to make the difficult decision to vote for Gary Johnson instead of Hillary Clinton. Trump was obviously never on the table for me. But they were not the largest factor. I ultimately decided to vote Johnson to send a message to my own party that they need to shape up, drop the white identity politics and racists, and go back to fighting against redistribution and for limited government. Not that my vote makes much of a difference anyway since I live in Illinois.

I did feel, however, that the prospect of a unified Democratic government and liberal Supreme Court could give SJWs more power than I'd feel comfortable with them having if Hillary didn't put her foot down, and I just didn't trust her to have the courage to stand up to them, even though I don't think she really agrees with them.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »

They're not an "internet" thing.  Theyre very, very real.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:15:07 PM »

Not in the general. In the primary, it probably lowered my opinion of Sanders, but only as one of several factors.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »

I was a Trump supporter the entire time, but continued SJW presence has continually slid me further to the right in general.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »

Why would a bunch of boring centrists who obsess over personal pronouns affect me in any way?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 12:29:45 AM »

It didn't really influence my vote in any way (I was likely to vote Stein again since I voted for her previously).

It was mildly amusing watching some of the Democrat SJWs practically foam at the mouth when saying I was wasting my vote and that "we need Hillary". I've even had some of them throw some of my "disadvantages" (such as race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, etc.) in my face to try to push me to vote for who they wanted.

As for the SJWs on the Greens, some I agreed with to an extent. But I'm not unreasonable, and have laughed at my fellow party members when they talk crazy, too.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »

They are one of a multitude of factors that caused me to make the difficult decision to vote for Gary Johnson instead of Hillary Clinton. Trump was obviously never on the table for me. But they were not the largest factor. I ultimately decided to vote Johnson to send a message to my own party that they need to shape up, drop the white identity politics and racists, and go back to fighting against redistribution and for limited government. Not that my vote makes much of a difference anyway since I live in Illinois.

I did feel, however, that the prospect of a unified Democratic government and liberal Supreme Court could give SJWs more power than I'd feel comfortable with them having if Hillary didn't put her foot down, and I just didn't trust her to have the courage to stand up to them, even though I don't think she really agrees with them.

I wavered on Trump initially, after the Billy Bush video came out.  For a day or two, I had decided to vote for Johnson.  I learned about this video during Hurricane Matthew, watching a TV clip in a restaurant as I had no power in my home.  My opinion shifted when I learned that this was from 2005. 

Hillary doesn't have the guts to confront SJWs when their demands become outrageous.  That's one of several bottom lines for me.  I'm for criminal justice reform, an end to over-criminalization and over-sentencing, and I think racial disparities in sentencing are real problems that require immediate solutions.  But these issues are not issues of policing; they are issues of legislating, and I consider a good deal of the attacks on police over the past 2 years to be more than a little unfair. 
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »

I was a Trump supporter the entire time, but continued SJW presence has continually slid me further to the right in general.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

Social Justice Warrior. Bill Maher did a great segment on them: https://youtube.com/watch?v=luhSVN5mgNY
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »

They caused me to delay my eventual heeling to Clinton and may have influenced me downballot to be less accepting of bad democratic candidates.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »

There are no contexts where this is an acceptable thing to say.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »

They caused me to delay my eventual heeling to Clinton and may have influenced me downballot to be less accepting of bad democratic candidates.

What do dumbf[inks] at Oberlin and on Twitter who rave about pronouns have to do with Hillary Clinton or any Democratic candidates.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

That man is far more annoying and self righteous.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »

What do dumbf[inks] at Oberlin and on Twitter who rave about pronouns have to do with Hillary Clinton or any Democratic candidates.
See, it's like internet trolls and Donald Trump.

Oh wait.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies