Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:36:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Did they?
They caused me to vote for Clinton

They caused me to vote for Trump

They caused me to vote for someone else

They caused me to not vote

They had no effect

I can't vote

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Did Internet "SJWs" affect your 2016 presidential vote?  (Read 2640 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »

Voting against Trump because of Internet trolls is also stupid. The reason to vote against Trump is that he's a troll himself.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 11:48:30 AM »

I'll point out the stupid girl in that video was not just mocked by Maher but it then cut to all liberal, all the time Seth MacFarlane also laughing at her.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

Of course not, I vote for who I think best represents my issue positions, not to piss off people I dislike (adult, normal).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »

Thanks, bro, but I'd rather stick knitting needles in my ears and eyes, than watch Bill Maher.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »

A common assertion I see is that Trump won because of discontent with "SJWs."

Really? Huh

There are many reasons why T***p won (the Electoral College), but I'm pretty damn sure a bunch of SJWs on the internet ain't one of them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »

Not specifically, though annoyance at "SJWs" has probably influence my general political views in some capacity.

I'd agree with this. My frustration with their ilk has definitely driven me to the right on many different issues.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

Really? Huh

There are many reasons why T***p won (the Electoral College), but I'm pretty damn sure a bunch of SJWs on the internet ain't one of them.

I agree, but people like to blame losses on groups of people they dislike in an effort to make those people go away. For some, that's neoliberals; for others, that's Berniecrats, and for many on Atlas, it's social justice supporters.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

Not specifically, though annoyance at "SJWs" has probably influence my general political views in some capacity.

I'd agree with this. My frustration with their ilk has definitely driven me to the right on many different issues.

Funny, because my frustration with your ilk has driven me to the left. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

Really? Huh

I agree, but people like to blame losses on groups of people they dislike in an effort to make those people go away. For some, that's neoliberals; for others, that's Berniecrats, and for many on Atlas, it's social justice supporters.

I mean, it's hard to deny that large segments of the current Democratic coalition are very much to blame for this disaster of an election, but of all of them, a small subset of activist types who only exist on the internet doesn't strike me as the one we should focus on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »

I once wrote a piece about how people who otherwise might fall somewhere near the center are driven towards the extremes (in partisanship if not in ideology) due to concern, anger, or fear directed towards the opposite extreme.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »

Yes, and they actually totally control my mind.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »

Why do people like act like these people are some insidious threat instead of just some kooks who post blogs and whine at liberal arts colleges? It reminds me of how Landslide Lyndon used to spam "OMG this low level Republican said something stupid!" threads and people just pointed out these people are irrelevant...well guess what random Tumblr blogger is even less relevant than Nolan County, Texas Republican Party Deputy Chairman.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »

I once wrote a piece about how people who otherwise might fall somewhere near the center are driven towards the extremes (in partisanship if not in ideology) due to concern, anger, or fear directed towards the opposite extreme.

I'm starting to believe that a good part of the degeneracy of modern US politics stems from this phenomenon.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »

I'm starting to believe that a good part of the degeneracy of modern US politics stems from this phenomenon.

It explains a lot. Much of the division that we deal with becomes particularly irrevocable because people on opposite sides of the aisle aren't even really talking about the same thing anymore.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 07:00:59 PM »

It explains a lot. Much of the division that we deal with becomes particularly irrevocable because people on opposite sides of the aisle aren't even really talking about the same thing anymore.

Absolutely. So many problems in politics could be fixed if people spent less time passing judgments, and instead made a genuine effort to understand why the "other side" believes what they believe and acts the way they act. It's something that hit me right after the election, and I've been trying to change my attitudes in this direction.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

Absolutely. So many problems in politics could be fixed if people spent less time passing judgments, and instead made a genuine effort to understand why the "other side" believes what they believe and acts the way they act. It's something that hit me right after the election, and I've been trying to change my attitudes in this direction.

See, I want to believe that more discourse and conversation without judgment is the answer. It seems, however, that often people get frustrated when trying to talk to folks on the "other side", especially if the desire to understand where they're coming from isn't always mutual. I do think that a lack of conversation is one of the reasons why this country is so polarized, but I don't think there's an easy solution.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

Yes, the Buzzfeed-style SJWs who believe their views are morally superior to mine eventually made me vote Trump. I was NeverTrump for a while, but the constant accusations of "not being woke enough" or not acknowledging my "white male privilege" eventually pisses one off.

SJWs, like the alt-right, live in some bizarre world where having an ideology somehow equates one to being a more moral person. It's a stupid and disgusting worldview.

As others have said: understanding the other side is the only way to make progress in the political process.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »

Yes, the Buzzfeed-style SJWs who believe their views are morally superior to mine eventually made me vote Trump. I was NeverTrump for a while, but the constant accusations of "not being woke enough" or not acknowledging my "white male privilege" eventually pisses one off.

SJWs, like the alt-right, live in some bizarre world where having an ideology somehow equates one to being a more moral person. It's a stupid and disgusting worldview.

As others have said: understanding the other side is the only way to make progress in the political process.

It all depends on whom you open your ears to.

I can't count the number of times GOP belittled Dems as the party of welfare, godlessness with devoid of morals. That has continued till today and will for a long time.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »

In the end, no, they didn't. But there were some moments where they were very close to doing so. I suspect for someone with my views and a slightly different temperament, they very well could have.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

"I was gonna not vote for Trump but then a college student's tumblr post made me mad" - A grown ass man's actual opinion.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »

"I was gonna not vote for Trump but then a college student's tumblr post made me mad" - A grown ass man's actual opinion.

You scoff, but the proponents of a party where they're acting in an official capacity, posting on the internet, or speaking in person, can certainly have an effect of others' opinions of that party. Often the easiest way to sour people to a worldview is to defend it badly. I don't think that phenomenon is limited to politics either.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:53 PM »

You scoff, but the proponents of a party where they're acting in an official capacity, posting on the internet, or speaking in person, can certainly have an effect of others' opinions of that party. Often the easiest way to sour people to a worldview is to defend it badly. I don't think that phenomenon is limited to politics either.

I absolutely agree that it happens, and I will continue to scoff at people who think like this. "I voted for Trump because liberals hurt my feelings on the Internet" is child-like logic, and yet I see conservatives proudly saying it all the time.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »

It all depends on whom you open your ears to.

I can't count the number of times GOP belittled Dems as the party of welfare, godlessness with devoid of morals. That has continued till today and will for a long time.

I don't disagree. The GOP has many ridiculous characters in it, just like the Dems.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »

See, I want to believe that more discourse and conversation without judgment is the answer. It seems, however, that often people get frustrated when trying to talk to folks on the "other side", especially if the desire to understand where they're coming from isn't always mutual. I do think that a lack of conversation is one of the reasons why this country is so polarized, but I don't think there's an easy solution.

Oh, definitely. Conversation is a two-way street and it only work when both interlocutors are sincerely interested in understanding where the other is coming from. I'm not going to waste time trying to talk to Santander when it's obvious he's only putting on a show, and similarly if a guy is just yelling maniacally in the street it's obvious you're not gonna get much out of him. I'm only talking about trying to keep a general attitude of being open to understanding others if and when an opportunity to do so presents itself, not just writing people off as "those dumb conservatives" or whatever.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »

Why on earth would such irrelevant hazarai affect one's vote? Anyway, hell no.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies