Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:08:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Thought we should get an actual measure of Atlas on this topic
Transgenderism is completely made up
Transgenderism is a mental illness and should be treated as such - no reassignment surgery or recongization of a new gender should be provided
Transgenderism is a fully real thing and we should treat people according to their new gender, although allowing them into their new gender's bathroom or locker room may be too risky
Transgenderism is a fully real thing and we should treat people according to their new gender, including in terms of bathroom and locker room access
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?  (Read 6205 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »

It's biology.  A small minority of babies have the brains of the opposite sex.

The right thing to do is for the mom and the dad of the transgender child to allow them to be who they are at a very young age.

If a little boy wants to wear a pink dress, play with dolls, and be a princess for Halloween, that doesn't always necessarily mean that he is a girl, but its a likely indicator that he will be at least gay or gender fluid, and there's a good chance that the child is actually female in the brain and if thats the case, that child's mental health depends on her being able to be who she is.

... You sound a lot like ER here, and it is extremely discomforting.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »

It's biology.  A small minority of babies have the brains of the opposite sex.

The right thing to do is for the mom and the dad of the transgender child to allow them to be who they are at a very young age.

If a little boy wants to wear a pink dress, play with dolls, and be a princess for Halloween, that doesn't always necessarily mean that he is a girl, but its a likely indicator that he will be at least gay or gender fluid, and there's a good chance that the child is actually female in the brain and if thats the case, that child's mental health depends on her being able to be who she is.
Cross dressers are usually heterosexual.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »

Option 4. Even if people are personally not sure how they feel about someone being transgender, or are a bit confused by the idea, I think the least we can do is just respect others as people (which, fortunately, most people on this thread seem willing to do.)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »

Option 4. Even if people are personally not sure how they feel about someone being transgender, or are a bit confused by the idea, I think the least we can do is just respect others as people (which, fortunately, most people on this thread seem willing to do.)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »

I didn't mean to sound like "ER" or whatever that meant.  I just feel I will be vindicated one day by the overwhelming science of  sexual orientation and gender identity.  I still believe that it this is a matter of biology.  I am trans, so I think I know more about this than any of you.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »

Other.

I'm still not convinced on it.

But I believe there should be unisex bathrooms and locker rooms and anything else segregated by gender.

Unisex communal showers? Even if Curtains are provided I think people would still be pretty uncomfortable with that.
That is something Trump would like. But we could just have individual stalls. I am not entirely comfortable in communal showers as it is. Many probably try to compare themselves to others and are scared the other person thinks they are checking them out sexually.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »

I am trans, so I think I know more about this than any of you.

As a trans person, most cross-dressers are cis. Shockingly, sometimes defiance of societal gender norms is defying what your gender is supposed do, and not being a different gender then the one society has labeled you.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 12:58:10 AM »

If a little boy wants to wear a pink dress, play with dolls, and be a princess for Halloween, that doesn't always necessarily mean that he is a girl, but its a likely indicator that he will be at least gay or gender fluid

This is Franklin D. Roosevelt, photographed during a time when pink was a boy's color, blue was a girl's color, and young boys were expected to wear dresses for photographs.  They often did not get their hair cut until around the age of 8 to 12.

Sexuality and gender identity have nothing to do with it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 01:06:08 AM »

4, although with a couple of caveats. First, as others have said, people should use the facilities that they fit into - a bloke with a beard and balls shouldn't be using the ladies facilities. Secondly of course the whole transitioning thing needs to be monitored to some extent - I believe there are at least a few examples of people who have transitioned sexes and then decided they didn't like it one little bit, so this shouldn't be something that can be done quickly and easily without appropriate bureaucratic checks.

People in transition generally have psychiatrists or work with people who are educated in or have experience with transgenderism, so the idea of a government mandating "bureaucratic checks" on a person's gender is not only exceptionally creepy, but completely unnecessary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »

Option 3 -after all, how do we know if someone is genuinely transgendered as opposed to just playing one for malicious purposes?  I can easily see that happening.  There are enough perverts and criminals out there willing to take that opportunity to gain access to women's (and girls') restrooms and locker-rooms. 
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »

Option 1 Tongue

(Actually, option 4, although Frodo's concerns are recognized)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »

It's a complex issue and I apologize for my tone in an earlier post.

The basic point of all of it is : Just be who you are....  If you feel in your heart you are a woman, and work so hard to match the outside with the inside, then I think its common courtesy for people to respect that, even if they don't fully understand it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 01:28:32 PM by shua »

It's an interpretation of experience, involving culture, relationships, and biology. Our understanding of transgenderism is neither "fully real" in some objective platonic sense, nor "completely made up" as if there is no basis behind it. Whether someone is really male or female is complex metaphysical issue, I don't have the answer to that,, and maybe in a way it's rarely of practical importance, or maybe you just have to choose one (or both?).  If the feelings associated with feeling like a different gender from one's anatomy causes a person distress, it is a mental illness.   I get very nervous about the assumption that one must rely on hormonal and physical transition as a solution, which is not to say it should never be done.  In any case, use whatever bathroom you are most comfortable in as long as you can be respectful and somewhat discreet. 
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »

Option 4.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »

option 4

(I still think it might be a mental illness too, I don't know....I do know that that doesn't make it wrong or something to be made fun of or be a dick about, just like most mental illnesses......except ya know, addicts, pedos, fatties,...probably others, YMMV)

(and to clarify, I don't mean making fun of random fat lady at the store, I mean being tough with your loved ones that have an obvious problem)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »

Addicts are just people who made a stupid mistake, the vast majority of pedophiles don't want to rape children and find child rape just as despicable as you or I, and being fat isn't even a mental illness(not to mention that A. Its almost impossible to lose weight once you gain it, B. Genetics plays a major role, C. when you're poor, its very difficult to even learn how to have a healthy diet due to lack of resources, let alone actually pay for one.)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 05:44:03 PM by Winds for the spices and stars for the gold »

My view regarding the phrase "transgender individuals" is that the ongoing cannibalization of the word "people" by "individuals" on one front and "folks" on another is one of the most unlovely current trends in English.

Scarlet, I agree with almost all of what you're saying, but

Its almost impossible to lose weight once you gain it,

Can't confirm. My weight fluctuates a good deal based on the factors one would expect--how I'm eating and exercising and my stress levels. (This is actually unhealthier than being consistently slightly or moderately overweight, but it does mean that I could keep the weight off if I were able to eat well, exercise, and avoid constant stress for a decent length of time.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »

Option 4 obviously, and I'm glad it's winning in a landslide.

I do realize that there are some people who feel that they are transgender for a period of time and then later come to the conclusion that they are not transgender, so caution should be taken regarding permanent changes especially with very young people. I don't know enough about the subject to go into more detail than that.
miro
J. W. Evans
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »

Option four, unquestionably.

I wish more members of the Republican Party would understand that small government also means a respect of LGTBQIA+ citizens and a respect of the individual to be an individual, free from obtrusive government restrictions. Don't punitively punish me because of some boogeyman you've invented from a warped societal perception of what I supposedly am to you. Even if you don't recognize me as my gender, I'm still a person.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »

I know very little about the state of medical and neurological research on transgenderism and, while I'm very interested in educating myself more on this issue, I'd rather not get too deep into questions of the "reality" of gender.

What I do know is that there are many people whose fundamental wellbeing and happiness depends on seeing their gender identity recognized and respected. This makes transgenderism real, regardless of anything else.

Its almost impossible to lose weight once you gain it,

Can't confirm. My weight fluctuates a good deal based on the factors one would expect--how I'm eating and exercising and my stress levels. (This is actually unhealthier than being consistently slightly or moderately overweight, but it does mean that I could keep the weight off if I were able to eat well, exercise, and avoid constant stress for a decent length of time.)

I have the same experience. I once gained 15 kilos over the span of nine months or so, and then lost them over the fifteen (though for me it was all through changes in my eating habits - I've never managed to exercise).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »

Transgenders are real, and they can trans into a man or a woman.  Those are their two options.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »

Two with a bit of one.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »

Combination of 3 and 4. Voted 4. Absolutely we should respect who they are and bullying is never ok.

Bathrooms and locker rooms are separate issues from each other. In bathrooms, there are stalls, and most people don't show their genitals (yes there are urinals though everyone has the option of using the stalls). I wouldn't mind if even a cisgender woman used the stall next to me, and I saw her by the sinks. I also think it would be good to have more one-person bathrooms. Also, there is no reason that a one-person bathroom should not be unisex, and someone has to wait when there's an empty bathroom, though the majority of stores/restaurants do it this way.

For locker rooms, my concern is that someone could pretend to be transgender for an excuse to see naked women and leer at them (though I doubt an actual rapist would be deterred by a sign). Also, the other people in that locker room may not know/realize that that person is transgender.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 11:38:42 PM »

Four (sane)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies