Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:00:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Thought we should get an actual measure of Atlas on this topic
Transgenderism is completely made up
Transgenderism is a mental illness and should be treated as such - no reassignment surgery or recongization of a new gender should be provided
Transgenderism is a fully real thing and we should treat people according to their new gender, although allowing them into their new gender's bathroom or locker room may be too risky
Transgenderism is a fully real thing and we should treat people according to their new gender, including in terms of bathroom and locker room access
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which of these best describes your views regarding transgender individuals?  (Read 6168 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »

For locker rooms, my concern is that someone could pretend to be transgender for an excuse to see naked women and leer at them (though I doubt an actual rapist would be deterred by a sign). Also, the other people in that locker room may not know/realize that that person is transgender.

But doesn't the existence of homosexual people already lead to this being a potential problem? And like you said, a sign won't stop rapists.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

I don't know any trans people IRL and I still have a hard time understanding it. I know plenty of gay/lesbian people, including family. It's a tough situation - everyone should be comfortable in their own skin. I encourage adults who know they have the wrong sex at birth to get reassignment procedures, for their own comfort and happiness.

As for the bathroom debate, go to Europe. Public restrooms are unisex with lockable doors. No reason we can't do that here more and defang the debate, which has reasonable concerns on both sides
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »

Let's dispel with this myth that bathroom signs stop rapists.

But dude, a bathroom is a "Rape Free Zone."  Putting a sign on the wall will scare the SH|T out of the rapist.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

They exist, they are human beings, and bullying is bad.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

As for the bathroom debate, go to Europe. Public restrooms are unisex with lockable doors. No reason we can't do that here more and defang the debate, which has reasonable concerns on both sides

Far from a universal thing; common in small places like restaurants or wee cafes where you have no space so having two separate toilet rooms is the best use of space and at that point why bother gendering them (although lots of places still do, it baffles me) but lots of public conveniences are gendered and big multi-cubicle rooms.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »

For locker rooms, my concern is that someone could pretend to be transgender for an excuse to see naked women and leer at them (though I doubt an actual rapist would be deterred by a sign). Also, the other people in that locker room may not know/realize that that person is transgender.

But doesn't the existence of homosexual people already lead to this being a potential problem? And like you said, a sign won't stop rapists.

Yeah, there's a host of issues that forcing people to use the bathroom/locker room of their biological sex doesn't solve, and another host of issues it creates. The status quo was really the best way with this.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »

Far from a universal thing; common in small places like restaurants or wee cafes where you have no space so having two separate toilet rooms is the best use of space and at that point why bother gendering them (although lots of places still do, it baffles me) but lots of public conveniences are gendered and big multi-cubicle rooms.

They seemed pretty universal in bigger public accommodations in Sweden (department stores, train station, etc)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »

I'd like to add a different option: whatever gender people psychologically identify with is nobody's business but their own.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »

They seemed pretty universal in bigger public accommodations in Sweden (department stores, train station, etc)

Sweden =/= Europe though; Europe is a very big diverse place and things are different wherever you go.  I've never seen what you've seen in the places I've been (the UK, Belgium, Strasbourg, Berlin, Krakow and Lithuania - clarifying cities when I've only ever been to a single place in a country).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

Sweden =/= Europe though; Europe is a very big diverse place and things are different wherever you go.  I've never seen what you've seen in the places I've been (the UK, Belgium, Strasbourg, Berlin, Krakow and Lithuania - clarifying cities when I've only ever been to a single place in a country).
Yeah, been to over 20 countries in Europe by now (I think) and this isn't common at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »

I've literally never come across a unisex public toilet in this country other than 'this cafe is a small cafe it has one toilet' and that doesn't really count.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »

I don't mean to be cold but I really haven't given it any serious thought and I probably won't.  Live and be who you are.....
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »

Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:58 AM »

I am living on gender lines.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »

None of the above. I'd prefer to offend everyone by firmly stating that transgenderism is a mental disease, but that gender reassignment may (or may not be) the best solution depending on the individual in question and that should be fine.

And "genderqueer" people are god damn weirdos. And the bathroom thing wouldn't be a problem without those kinds of bad apples.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »

My view regarding the phrase "transgender individuals" is that the ongoing cannibalization of the word "people" by "individuals" on one front and "folks" on another is one of the most unlovely current trends in English.

Scarlet, I agree with almost all of what you're saying, but

Its almost impossible to lose weight once you gain it,

Can't confirm. My weight fluctuates a good deal based on the factors one would expect--how I'm eating and exercising and my stress levels. (This is actually unhealthier than being consistently slightly or moderately overweight, but it does mean that I could keep the weight off if I were able to eat well, exercise, and avoid constant stress for a decent length of time.)

Can someone please explain this to me? I asked about this a while ago, and why it was happening, but never got a straight answer.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

None of the above. I'd prefer to offend everyone by firmly stating that transgenderism is a mental disease, but that gender reassignment may (or may not be) the best solution depending on the individual in question and that should be fine.

And "genderqueer" people are god damn weirdos. And the bathroom thing wouldn't be a problem without those kinds of bad apples.
sounds like a pretty normal, not horrible response to be honest.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »

Communitarian/Populist centrism is a mental disease.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »

Please let normal, not horrible people decide that.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »

It's a complex issue and I apologize for my tone in an earlier post.

The basic point of all of it is : Just be who you are....  If you feel in your heart you are a woman, and work so hard to match the outside with the inside, then I think its common courtesy for people to respect that, even if they don't fully understand it.
another decent, not-obnoxious answer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies