Democrats' DNC Chair Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:10:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats' DNC Chair Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you support for the DNC Chair race as of now?
Keith Ellison

Tom Perez

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Democrats' DNC Chair Poll  (Read 3744 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »

I question those who link the actions of the israeli government and people of Jewish descent together in a way that a criticism of one is equal to an attack on the other.
This is like saying "I support segregation but I really really like black people"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

I question those who link the actions of the israeli government and people of Jewish descent together in a way that a criticism of one is equal to an attack on the other.
This is like saying "I support segregation but I really really like black people"

To a non-Jew, this comparison is hard to comprehend.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »

To most rational people, David's comparison is hard to comprehend
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

By that "logic", all Jews would be responsible for any bad thing the state of israel does. Which is absurd.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »

To a Jew, this comparison is still ridiculous.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »

I honestly have no idea which would be better as a chair, but Ellison seems like he would be better for party unity's sake. I like Perez as well though.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 01:54:59 AM »

To a Jew, this comparison is still ridiculous.
A Jew who's not merely an asaJew will understand, though.

As much as I would love to stay and chat about whether my Judaism is legitimate, the point still stands that your analogy was illogical and ignorant. Criticism of the government of Israel is not only unconnected to direct criticism of Jews, but is a necessary part of Israel's own sustainability. If a Jew felt the actions of the government were directly putting the nation in harm's way and eliminating a chance for peace, should he remain silent? But in voicing such criticism, Jews with legitimate viewpoints are faced with put-downs like the one in your post. Am I not a real Jew because I will not blindly accept every action of the government for a country I love? You seek to doom yourself by trying to delegitimize those with similar goals but different ideas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 02:49:23 AM »

Heh...

Let's dispel with the fiction current Israeli government is synonymous with all of Israelis, not to mention Jewish people worldwide. This is just as absurd as saying the same thing about any other government.

One of main reasons I oppose certain policies of the Israeli government is because I'm convinced these moves are hurting Israel in longterm and I want to see Israel surviving to live in peace.

And the whole Jim Crow reference... what the heh?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »

I am strongly opposed to allowing anyone involved in the Obama White House to guide the party over the next several years.

Yes. As a party leader/political machine operator Obama was nothing short of a fail and his closest associates hardly helped.

This election made it clear we need a clean break, not just from Clintonism, but also Obamism (not exactly the policy, or at least a majority of it, but the way party was being ran).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »

Lmao, my post got deleted? Joke mods!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 03:29:14 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Come on David, this is inane and very insulting to the intelligence of the forum.

What I will say is that America's financial support for Israel's military opens Israel up to this sort of public criticism from American politicians. I think it's very fair for American politicians to be critical of its government when we subsidize its activities.

As far as his past association with anti-Semites, I can understand why you'd feel uncomfortable about that but he does appear to have made an effort to reach out to Jews that he represents (there are many in St. Louis Park) and who, for the most part, support him. Maybe this is disingenuous but I choose to believe that it's sincere.
arjavrawal
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »

Perez, because I think Ellison is needed more in the resistance against Trump in Congress.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 05:51:51 AM »

As a Republican, I'm not going to vote in the poll, but I do think from a tactical perspective, Ellison is better for the DNC. Or less bad, I suppose.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

Perez, because I think Ellison is needed more in the resistance against Trump in Congress.

He doesn't have to leave Congress. I hope he doesn't.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »

He has promised to leave Congress if he wins. He doesn't want to but others have made a convincing case that it's a full time job.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 07:17:20 PM »

I am strongly opposed to allowing anyone involved in the Obama White House to guide the party over the next several years.

Yes. As a party leader/political machine operator Obama was nothing short of a fail and his closest associates hardly helped.

This election made it clear we need a clean break, not just from Clintonism, but also Obamism (not exactly the policy, or at least a majority of it, but the way party was being ran).

^This.

Plus, let us note, that Tom Perez has NO experience running a political machine. Frankly, except for the fact that he's an Obama loyalist, he has nothing going for him. I'm a strong Keith supporter, but even if I weren't I would support Buckley, Harrison, heck, even Boynton-Brown before I ever considered Perez.

Like seriously, people. DNC Chair is a nuts and bolts, assemble and run the machine position. The fact that we're even considering someone who's run for office exactly once, in 2006, and only raised $200,000 for it is completely laughable. Furthermore, it's a sign of the highhandedness and divorce from political reality emblematic of the President's technical choices outside of his own campaigns.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies