Taking voters for granted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taking voters for granted?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taking voters for granted?  (Read 2237 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2005, 07:59:27 AM »

I've often heard political commentators comment that the Democratic Party takes African American support for granted. Do you think this is true?

On the other hand, could it be said that the Republican Party takes the Evangelical white vote for granted?

Dave
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 08:11:07 AM »

For the most part, yes - they'll throw them a bone every now and then to keep them interested but otherwise they definitely just expect them to vote Democrat. Politicians will tend to take any group of voters for granted if they feel that that group will continue voting for them without much effort on their part. In the two party system, this is especially easy because as long as that group of voters views your party as superior to the other one then they'll keep voting for you - more reason why a multi-party system would be better than what we have now.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »

Yes. Blacks vote about 90% for the Democrats. What have the Democrats done for the blacks? Actually the Republicans have probably done more to but Black Americans in positions of power i.e. Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condoneeza Rice.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 12:22:59 PM »

Yes. Blacks vote about 90% for the Democrats. What have the Democrats done for the blacks? Actually the Republicans have probably done more to but Black Americans in positions of power i.e. Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Condoneeza Rice.

Surely, Thomas, Powell and Rice attained the positions they either held, or currently hold, on merit and not by virtue of being black

Dave
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:26:52 PM »

thurgood marshall, Barack Obama, Sheila Jackson Lee
MissCatholic

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 12:28:05 PM »

Republicans dont talk to African Americans
Democrats dont talk to Evangelicals.

As in a previous thread

How can you vote for someone who doesnt talk to you?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 12:28:59 PM »

True in both cases. And in both cases both parties are being rather stupid.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 12:58:22 PM »

Yes, to both.  However, it is good that both take them for granted since it cuts down on the stupid political promises made by the candidates.  On the flip side, these groups which are taken for granted, need to be a bit less sheep-like and actually pay attention to whom they are voting for and why.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 01:06:54 PM »

If we're going to start the pissing match over which party has more blacks in positions of power, I'll point out that the only black Democrat in high political office is Obama. The remainder are House members with little power elected from black majority districts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 01:09:56 PM »

If we're going to start the pissing match over which party has more blacks in positions of power, I'll point out that the only black Democrat in high political office is Obama. The remainder are House members with little power elected from black majority districts.

Future President Obama.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 01:16:35 PM »

number of black Republicans in the Senate=0
number of black Republicans in the House=0

44 out of 44 members of the Black Congressional Caucus are Democrats.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 01:23:47 PM »

and they are all fing crazy.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »

Yes to both. And it is interesting that African-Americans vote at a higher rate for Democrats than white Evangelicals vote for Republicans.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 01:29:54 PM »

Now, now Walter don't exaggerate. They aren't *all* f cking crazy; just a sizeable majority of them Wink
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 01:31:19 PM »

Republicans dont talk to African Americans
Democrats dont talk to Evangelicals.

As in a previous thread

How can you vote for someone who doesnt talk to you?

chances are because they're afriad to talk to the other side politically.  If you were a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage Democrat talking to an evangelistic white from Utah, what would ever make him listen or respect your veiws?
People vote for whom they feel more comfortable.  The whole groupthink mentality, and such...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 01:33:14 PM »

Now, now Walter don't exaggerate. They aren't *all* f cking crazy; just a sizeable majority of them Wink

Yes, some of them are just nuts. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 01:37:33 PM »

Thank you for showing us what happens when racial gerrymandering is used to create black majority districts. They...(gasp)...elect black Democrats Shocked. How many of those Black Democrats move on from the House to higher positions of power? None...ever.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 01:49:46 PM »

They were elected, in areas that are largely black. The black voters vote almost exclusively for democrats so it is not unusual that they don't elect many republicans.

The people I'm talking about were appointed by a white Republican president.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »

Evangelicals christians at my church all vote republican, they were shocked when i told them my dad voted democrat in 2000.  But most of them dom't really follow politics. If you told them you want to ban abortion and gay marriage they would vote for you.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 02:07:38 AM »

Frankly, I think African Americans should stop voting Democrats en masse even if that's traditional.  Evangelicals at least base their voting on positions, even if that position is something inane like soley voting based on gay marriage (is that really the most important thing in the world?).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »

Frankly, I think African Americans should stop voting Democrats en masse even if that's traditional.  Evangelicals at least base their voting on positions, even if that position is something inane like soley voting based on gay marriage (is that really the most important thing in the world?).

Showing your ignorance again. Evangelicals don't vote on gay marriage alone, but also on abortion, school prayer, religion in society, stem cell research, etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 01:38:47 PM »

Showing your ignorance again. Evangelicals don't vote on gay marriage alone, but also on abortion, school prayer, religion in society, stem cell research, etc.

I said if, not is.  I know that most evangelicals vote on a large range of issues, but some will vote for a candidate simply because they disagree on one thing, even if they agree with all of the rest.  You don't have to jump on me so quickly, man.  I'm not the sort that makes sweeping generalizations liberally.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

Yes, some of them are just nuts. Smiley

Then there's Sanford Bishop, my absolute favorite black Democrat. Not a raving lefty loon - he's even backed by the NRA. Represents a district (Georgia 2nd) which, before the 2001 redistricting, was both white and Republican-voting (rural white district), but he won anyway by, guess what, not being some left-wing lunatic! If he's not in the Congressional Black Caucus, then my argument collapses, however. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies