My hate for Russia, explained
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:15:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My hate for Russia, explained
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: My hate for Russia, explained  (Read 3321 times)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »

Look if I was a government official in a government doing immoral things I'd resign. I wouldn't continue to "just follow orders". Yes that would apply if I was an ambassador now to some country that Trump was planning on screwing over. Not that that thought EVER crossed this guy's mind because he was actually a friend of Putin's, not some generic bureaucrat.

Someone save this forever for when BRTD runs for Congress
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »

BRTD, I take it you oppose the United States' ban on assassination, then.

Well not really. I wouldn't have a problem if it was lifted under Obama, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it lifted under Bush or Trump.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2017, 03:30:09 PM by Winds for the spices and stars for the gold »

lmao jfc

Well not really. I wouldn't have a problem if it was lifted under Obama, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it lifted under Bush or Trump.

LMAO JFC. You realize thinking like this is one of the hallmarks of Leninist moral theory, right? ...right?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

Unfortunately the world doesn't work this way.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »

I'm starting to think that BRTD is a Russian propaganda psyop designed to make us like Russia more. It's working for me at least.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

I'm starting to think that BRTD is a Russian propaganda psyop designed to make us like Russia more. It's working for me at least.

He was previously a psyop for the Interpol's anti pedophilia task force, giving paedophiles even more bad name thorough the net with his opebo worship. Now he changed his speciality.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »

So in regards to this, here's a hypothetical ethical scenario. You're a journalist during the Cold War. You're in a country under a democratic leftist government that the US is poking. You uncover information of proof of a Pinochet style coup. You can leak the info, which will almost certainly result in the arrest of the coup planners and inevitable failure of the coup.

However if you do so you will also expose an undercover CIA operative. Said operative is heavily involved in planning the coup, but is "just doing their job" and being ordered by higher ups at the CIA. If exposed, they will likely be apprehended by the KGB and killed.

Is it morally acceptable to expose the information and effectively give a death sentence to the CIA operative?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »

So in regards to this, here's a hypothetical ethical scenario. You're a journalist during the Cold War. You're in a country under a democratic leftist government that the US is poking. You uncover information of proof of a Pinochet style coup. You can leak the info, which will almost certainly result in the arrest of the coup planners and inevitable failure of the coup.

However if you do so you will also expose an undercover CIA operative. Said operative is heavily involved in planning the coup, but is "just doing their job" and being ordered by higher ups at the CIA. If exposed, they will likely be apprehended by the KGB and killed.

Is it morally acceptable to expose the information and effectively give a death sentence to the CIA operative?

omg just change your signature already brtd lol
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »

Well I did. I bet this one will get complaints too based on the precedent though.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »

Well I did. I bet this one will get complaints too based on the precedent though.
Yeah it will probably get even more. There's a big ing difference between the Third Reich and Russia.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »

FF post. Don't agree with everything you wrote, but it explains your views more clearly and in depth then your previous posts on the topic.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »

Maybe, but it's better. It's not something I'd pick by any means but FF/HP pic of assassin standing next to his murdered victim is just too much. There are better ways to express your thoughts on that Sad
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »

Secret agents, pretty much by definition, accept risk by virtue of their jobs in way that diplomats don't. I can't believe this has to be spelled out.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »

What's his sig btw?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

Personally, I don't think we should celebrate Herschel Grynszpan as a FF. His motivations were absolutely understandable, but he was essentially a useful idiot. Killing a random diplomat (Herr von Rath, a medium level fellow at best, was hardly a valuable target) was the best gift the Nazis could've hoped for. It provided them with a convenient excuse to speed up with oppressing the Jewish people. Yes, he did a huge favor for the Nazis.

There are not only motivations that should be taken into account. Consequences are perhaps even more important and Grynszpan didn't help a single Jew. He did the exact opposite. Very satysfying on the personal level and I'd probably smile at the news, but with the broader context, it was a costly mistake.

Well, still a significant improvement from your last signature, BRDT, just giving my thoughts.

Also, can we please stop with these idiotic comparisions to the Inglorious Basterds? The movie is about actual special forces operation, not a random dude just shooting the first "bad guy" he can.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »

Also, can we please stop with these idiotic comparisions to the Inglorious Basterds? The movie is about actual special forces operation, not a random dude just shooting the first "bad guy" he can.

Also, the idea that Tarantino movies are a worthwhile guide for determining when killing might be morally justified is... concerning, to say the least.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

That's not true since Shoshanna was just some French Jewish girl who decided to blow up a theater full of German government officials.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »

Inglorious Basterds is not an accurate depiction of any sort of reality.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »

Tarantino's movies are great pieces of art, but not the freaking Bible, especially when took literally.

That's not true since Shoshanna was just some French Jewish girl who decided to blow up a theater full of German government officials.

It obviously was much complex action than "hey, I'm a lone guy, let's just shot the first person representing government I hate".

The assassin was not even a Syrian.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »

I have to give BRTD credit; he's angry over people on his own side of the aisle being idiots (though I wonder how many of those same random people on message boards are now insistent Cold Warriors). It's an all too common and all too frustrating tendency to suffer whatever fools so long as they are on the same side of the political spectrum as you are.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »

I have to give BRTD credit; he's angry over people on his own side of the aisle being idiots (though I wonder how many of those same random people on message boards are now insistent Cold Warriors). It's an all too common and all too frustrating tendency to suffer whatever fools so long as they are on the same side of the political spectrum as you are.

They're pissing me too, but at least I'm trying to remember about using a brain.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »

The thread title made me hope for a Vox style explainer
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »

It was a deliberate Vox reference. I've done that on AAD before too, like when I explained my feud with Gully Doyle.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »

The thread title made me hope for a Vox style explainer

"17 reasons why I hate Russia."
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 02:04:13 PM by DavidB. »

Personally, I don't think we should celebrate Herschel Grynszpan as a FF. His motivations were absolutely understandable, but he was essentially a useful idiot. Killing a random diplomat (Herr von Rath, a medium level fellow at best, was hardly a valuable target) was the best gift the Nazis could've hoped for. It provided them with a convenient excuse to speed up with oppressing the Jewish people. Yes, he did a huge favor for the Nazis.
Herschel Grynszpan was obviously a huge FF despite the dire consequences of his act of resistance. I see the parallels with the guy in Turkey, but what Russia does to Syrians/Muslims is simply not the same as what Nazi Germany did to Jews and the comparison is pretty inappropriate.

I can respect BRTD's opinion regarding the Turkish dude and the ambassador, even if calling them "FF" and "HP" is way too edgy and misses the entire point anyway, but you should really leave Grynszpan out of this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies