If Democrats wanted to hand a second term to Trump on a silver platter...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:57:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If Democrats wanted to hand a second term to Trump on a silver platter...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If Democrats wanted to hand a second term to Trump on a silver platter...  (Read 4099 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »

As a NYer Gillibrand is a great senator but yeah she is pretty boring and won't go anywhere in the primaries
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »

Mark Zuckerberg/Shaun King should do the trick.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

Kanye.

None of the other people who have expressed interest or otherwise been speculated on would totally roll over for Trump and stand no chance from the very beginning, though some (Gabbard, Ellison) may be relatively weak candidates.

People underestimate candidates like Cuomo at their own peril. He has some problems in the primaries, but much less than Clinton did, I think, and those problems largely evaporate in the GE. Most (though obviously not all) Sanders supporters (i) were more anti-Clinton than pro-Sanders and (ii) weren't true-leftists with doctrinaire views; they were anti-establishment voters. Even though Cuomo is definitely small-e establishment, average Democratic voters outside of New York have heard of him only a bit if at all, so he is not big-E Establishment to the rank and file. Clinton was pretty unique that way (maybe Pelosi or Reid would also get big-E Establishment treatment; obviously, they're not ever running for President). The same holds true in the GE; people thought of Clinton as big-E Establishment because she has been a nationally prominent politician for decades and disliked her for it. That's just not the case of someone like Cuomo (or Booker, or Gillibrand, or anyone else being branded "establishment"), no matter how small-e establishment they may be.

My worry about Cuomo is that he probably has skeletons in his closet.

This seems like a silly worry in the sense that every candidate has significant potential to have skeletons. Witness John Edwards. Without smoke, there's no point worrying about fire from one candidate but not others.

Cuomo was implicated in Bridgegate.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »

Kanye.

None of the other people who have expressed interest or otherwise been speculated on would totally roll over for Trump and stand no chance from the very beginning, though some (Gabbard, Ellison) may be relatively weak candidates.

People underestimate candidates like Cuomo at their own peril. He has some problems in the primaries, but much less than Clinton did, I think, and those problems largely evaporate in the GE. Most (though obviously not all) Sanders supporters (i) were more anti-Clinton than pro-Sanders and (ii) weren't true-leftists with doctrinaire views; they were anti-establishment voters. Even though Cuomo is definitely small-e establishment, average Democratic voters outside of New York have heard of him only a bit if at all, so he is not big-E Establishment to the rank and file. Clinton was pretty unique that way (maybe Pelosi or Reid would also get big-E Establishment treatment; obviously, they're not ever running for President). The same holds true in the GE; people thought of Clinton as big-E Establishment because she has been a nationally prominent politician for decades and disliked her for it. That's just not the case of someone like Cuomo (or Booker, or Gillibrand, or anyone else being branded "establishment"), no matter how small-e establishment they may be.

This seems like a silly worry in the sense that every candidate has significant potential to have skeletons. Witness John Edwards. Without smoke, there's no point worrying about fire from one candidate but not others.

Bridgegate hurt Christie because he ordered the lane closings. It's irrelevant for Cuomo.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »

Kanye.

Bridgegate hurt Christie because he ordered the lane closings. It's irrelevant for Cuomo.

Well it hasn't hurt Cuomo yet, but it shows that he's vulnerable to those kinds of scandals.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »

Warren, Sanders, Gabbard, Sherrod Brown possibly.

Also washed-up politicos like Kerry or Gore.
#BernieWouldHaveWon
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

Cuomo imho. Progressives don't like him and he doesn't have any independent appeal. Generally a bad candidate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »

The Democrats will lose if they nominate an inexperienced newcomer, especially if it's a black or Hispanic nominee that has the aura of pandering.

They will have a chance to win if they nominate a candidate with deep experience who appears to be "Ready From Day One".  That appeal was moot in 2016, but it will be needed if Trump is vulnerable.  Trump will only be vulnerable if he is perceived as incompetent, and if that's the case, the Dems need to be ready with "Mr./Ms. Experience". 
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 11:37:38 PM »

Kanye.

I'm no Boy Scout, but this sure looks like smoke to me:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/nyregion/cuomo-former-aides-charges.html?_r=0
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2017, 12:17:31 AM »

Kanye.

I'm no Boy Scout, but this sure looks like smoke to me:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/nyregion/cuomo-former-aides-charges.html?_r=0

Cuomo reminds me a lot of Christie but instead of one big ethical scandal, there are several small ones instead.
arjavrawal
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:41 AM »

I don't think I've seen deBlasio's name mentioned here either.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 07:05:19 AM »

The Democrats will lose if they nominate an inexperienced newcomer, especially if it's a black or Hispanic nominee that has the aura of pandering.

They will have a chance to win if they nominate a candidate with deep experience who appears to be "Ready From Day One".  That appeal was moot in 2016, but it will be needed if Trump is vulnerable.  Trump will only be vulnerable if he is perceived as incompetent, and if that's the case, the Dems need to be ready with "Mr./Ms. Experience". 

Why not fight fire with fire? It worked this year. And the last four presidents we've had have all been less experienced than their original opponents.

The experienced Bush 41 lost to Clinton because of a recession and a diffident persona, with help from a 3rd party.

Bush 43 was Governor of Texas, not significantly less experienced than Gore, and with Chief Exec experience Gore did not have.

Obama won due to a financial meltdown.  McCain mishandled that situation during the campaign.

Trump won because of a revolt against the political class in general.  He also won because of his immense experience as a corporate CEO, which folks are very much OK with and looking for in a President.

Trump has no "political" experience.  If he's a flop with 25% approval ratings, this will be a valid point for his opponent.  There is no fighting fire with fire with Trump; he's better at fighting with fire than any politician in my lifetime.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

Bush 43 was Governor of Texas, not significantly less experienced than Gore, and with Chief Exec

Gore had been a Congressman for 8 years, a Senator for 8 years, and a Vice President for 8 more years after that. He had been continuously in politics for 24 years. Bush had spent six years as Governor of Texas and, besides that, had no political experience outside of a failed house bid in 1978.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »

Hillary was the first that came to my mind.

Others that haven't been mentioned: Nancy Pelosi and Tom Wolf. Also wanted to mention Elliot Spitzer and Blago, but they have zero chance to get nomination.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »

Hillary was the first that came to my mind.

Others that haven't been mentioned: Nancy Pelosi and Tom Wolf. Also wanted to mention Elliot Spitzer and Blago, but they have zero chance to get nomination.
Ha, reminds me of how big Blago's ego was. Maybe he could set up town halls where he speaks via Skype from his prison cell. At least he is imprisoned in a swing state, so he could have rallies at the prison.
Bones
TitanMynor
Rookie
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »

Anyone. Trump wins 2020 in a walk no matter who runs.

It depends on what happens with the economy during the next four years. If things keep going reasonably well, Trump will probably win. If the economy slows down or crashes, I think his base could revolt, and a Democrat like Warren might be able to win them over.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies