Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:58:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14)  (Read 65767 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »

One thing to keep in mind about Northern Ontario is that the cities are actually far more right wing than the rural areas (at least economically), so while the NDP can win in areas like Kenora, Algoma, Nickel Belt, Timiskaming and Cochrane, it will have trouble in Sudbury, the Soo and Thunder Bay. There is a base in those cities, but they can only win with the right vote splits.

One of the key issues the NDP will have to deal with is bridging the populist North with the bobo ridings in southern Ontario, something they are now having trouble with. Jack Layton was able to do it, but Horwath and Mulcair could not.

Citywise, don't forget Timmins--though there, the "bourgeois tendencies" have tended to be counteracted by the rest of whatever riding it's in.

And speaking of Timmins, federal NDP leadership contender Charlie Angus practically personifies the populist North/bobo South bridge idea.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »

Sault Ste. Marie is the kind of place that would have swung to Trump big time if it were in the US.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »

One thing to keep in mind about Northern Ontario is that the cities are actually far more right wing than the rural areas (at least economically), so while the NDP can win in areas like Kenora, Algoma, Nickel Belt, Timiskaming and Cochrane, it will have trouble in Sudbury, the Soo and Thunder Bay. There is a base in those cities, but they can only win with the right vote splits.

One of the key issues the NDP will have to deal with is bridging the populist North with the bobo ridings in southern Ontario, something they are now having trouble with. Jack Layton was able to do it, but Horwath and Mulcair could not.

Citywise, don't forget Timmins--though there, the "bourgeois tendencies" have tended to be counteracted by the rest of whatever riding it's in.

And speaking of Timmins, federal NDP leadership contender Charlie Angus practically personifies the populist North/bobo South bridge idea.

Timmins is another good example for sure. And good point about Angus, which is why he'd be a pretty good leader (if he improves his French).

Sault Ste. Marie is the kind of place that would have swung to Trump big time if it were in the US.

What??? If anything the more rural NDP ridings in the north would be more likely to swing to Trump.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »

Not as shocking a proposition as you think.  Working class city with large Italian population.
adma
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »

Just because Soo's a city doesn't mean it's a *city* city.  It's more the size of Muncie than Indianapolis, after all.  (And it's not really a "college town", Algoma notwithstanding.)

For the record: across the river, Chippewa County went 59.1 Trump vs 34.8 Clinton.  (In 2012, 53.2 Romney, 45.6 Obama.  In 2008, 49.5 McCain, 49.0 Obama.)
Krago
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 11:42:17 AM by Krago »

Quick-and-dirty Sault Ste. Marie by-election results map:

vs. 2014 General Election results map:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

further evidence that most of the vote switching in the Soo is anti-NDP. Reliably NDP west end went NDP, while the normally Liberal east end went Tory. 

Interestingly, the far west end (Ward 6) went PC. That's the ward that both the NDP and PC candidate represented on council.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »

further evidence that most of the vote switching in the Soo is anti-NDP. Reliably NDP west end went NDP, while the normally Liberal east end went Tory. 

Interestingly, the far west end (Ward 6) went PC. That's the ward that both the NDP and PC candidate represented on council.

Soo what?  Cheesy (sorry)

Any thoughts aboot the Point Douglas by-election?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »

I may or may not do a write up on it tomorrow.  But, it should be an easy NDP hold. Potentially a future Liberal target in the distant future, but they're too much in disarray on the provincial level.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »

I may or may not do a write up on it tomorrow.  But, it should be an easy NDP hold. Potentially a future Liberal target in the distant future, but they're too much in disarray on the provincial level.

Thanks.

I liked my joke about the Soo. I'm sure nobody has ever come up with that before!  Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »

Thanks.

I liked my joke about the Soo. I'm sure nobody has ever come up with that before!  Cheesy

oh wow, I hadn't even noticed!
Krago
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

Thanks.

Can't wait for your take on the 'Poe Lock'.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »

Thanks.

Can't wait for your take on the 'Poe Lock'.

I have none.  What is the Poe Lock?
adma
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »

(hey, I have personal ethnic licence ;-) )

As for the Soo, the far west is rural-dominated, right?
Krago
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soo_Locks
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2017, 12:46:04 AM »

Poor Meathead.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »

You guys are dating yourselves with these All in the Family references!

Anyways, geographically the far west is 'dominated' by a lot of farms, but I'd imagine most of the population is urban.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

So I did get some time today to do a write up on my blog Smiley

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2017/06/point-douglas-by-election-preview.html
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »

Thanks!

The name of the B.C 'caretaker' health minister is Mary Polak.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »

Is this the kind of thing people would be interested in me doing more of in the future?

trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2017, 08:26:12 PM »

Point Douglas
2 Polls

NDP 56
LIB 24
PC 18
MP 4
Green 3
COmm 1
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

Even with just a few polls in, it's obvious the NDP has won it. Looking at a worse result than in 2016 though, but still too early to determine.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »

After 15/47 Polls, NDP at 48%, LIB 26%, PC 15%

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »

Looks like they probably won't break 50% Sad Not a good result.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »

CBC calls Point DOuglas to NDP, NDP now at 46% (23/47 Polls)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies